New Member

  • Shawnee
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 12 9:45 AM
      Hi,

      I couldn't believe there was actually a Yahoo group on this topic! I LOVE
      hammock camping!

      I discovered it when I bought, on a whim, the "Traveler" hammock (that
      lightweight blue parachute cloth one by Byer) for $20 at the sports store.
      Thought it might be "fun" on my trip to Wyoming.

      Well the first night was a pleasant evening so I hung the hammock from the
      roll bars of my Jeep Wrangler and to a nearby tree. I slept like a baby,
      and never opened my little tent the whole trip!

      I have some as-yet undiagnosed neurological disease, most likely multiple
      sclerosis, which sometimes makes me uncomfortable, and I found the hammock
      to be so comfy I bought a big cotton one and it hangs in my bedroom for
      nights when I just can't get comfortable in my regular bed.

      I do find them to be cold, with the air coming in from underneath, and I've
      joined, it seems in the middle of a conversation about underquilts and
      whatnot. I have thought about making my own hammock lined with down (Using
      a canvas or other sturdy material for the "base" and adding a down quilt,
      swen to it for insulation). I will be camping up in the Teton range and in
      Yellowston and western Wyoming come mid0June and despite a nice toasty (but
      huge) sleeping bag, I might be cold.. they still get snow there sometimes
      in June.

      I saw on the hammocks.com website the "Madera Stand" which they wanted like
      $79 for. YIKES. The very next day I spotted in the neighbor's trash 3 big
      1.5" dowels sticking up from their can. So I nabbed 'em and made my own
      stand, using a wingnut, cost me, what, $2.00 at best? Works great. I
      already had some sturdy staked to hobble a mule to, made from sawed off
      green metal t-posts, with a steel ring run thru them.

      So now I can hang anywhere. Where I usually go, Wyoming, there are few if
      any trees. (at least the part I have travaled the most of, which is the
      Oregon Trail corridor, it is but flat sagebrush prairie there) I use the
      Jeep (also known as Big Dan) rollbars as one end, the homemade Madera stand
      on the other. I have also tied to some fencing along a remote section of
      the trail. It's nice to not have to rely on perfectly spaced trees and
      also to fear doing harm to a tree.

      The Madera stand I made also doubles as a shower holder when I stand it in
      my jeep, throw the Sun Shower on the top... I shower next to the Jeep.

      Well this is an interesting group, I've written enough for now.

      Shawnee
    • Anthony (TJ) Smith
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 26, 2004
        Message
        Greetings all.  As you may have guessed, I'm new to this group.  I was referred to this group from backpacking light.  I am new to hammock camping, and haven't yet received my hammock.  It is on order however, and I'm hoping to receive it in time for a trip next weekend.  I will be the proud owner of a Hennessy A-Sym, and am hoping it is as enjoyable as it seems to be.  Anyway, that's about it for me for now, and I hope to learn a lot from everyone here!
        TJ
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 26, 2004
          Welcome TJ. I'm sure you'll learn a lot here about hammocks. If
          you haven't already, you might check out Shane Steinkamp's hammock
          info at http://www.theplacewithnoname.com or Rick's hammock info at
          http://www.imrisk.com Both offer a wealth of information on
          hammocks.

          ciyd

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony \(TJ\) Smith"
          <tj@l...> wrote:
          > Greetings all. As you may have guessed, I'm new to this group.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
            I just purchased a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the complete
            Supershelter System. I hope to achieve some good 4-season results
            with it.

            I've read several of the available "Hennessy Hammock reviews" on the
            internet with some very mixed feelings. Being a scientist, I'm used
            to testing under much more controlled standards. While there is
            certainly useful information to ponder about the hammock itself, some
            of it is not worth the read. There is not a single bit of research
            I've come across that offers solid data regarding the Supershelter
            System offered with this hammock.

            Here in Saskatchewan, real world 4-season use means temperatures that
            go below freezing in 3 out of 4 seasons. Winter conditions are some
            of the harshest and brutal in North America. Let's see how this
            system, rigged with a space blanket as an additional accessory, fares
            with my -30 degree celsius sleeping bag (overbag and two fleece
            garments layered) fares in the future.

            In the meantime, my MEC -7 degree sleeping bag should fare to its
            temperature rating without the Overcover. If not, I would see that
            something is flawed with the system. I will be as objective as
            possible.

            Regards,

            Michael
          • Craig Stephanski

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                The supershelter is relatively new.
                As far as reproducible empirical data....... :]

                I guess you could sleep in a walk in freezer at different settings? :]

                Or you could just take it out, have some backup stuff, and take good
                measurements.
                Please let us know what you find out.

                Variables to consider: Temp, Temp duration, wind, exposure, humidity,
                fly hang, R factor of quilt/bag, extra insulation, body mass, number
                of nature calls, wind direction etc.

                Design a test grid for us and we'll try to fill it out. Science
                should be fun :]

                Ralph also a scientist

                On 6/10/05, Michael <dansferd_observatory@...> wrote:
                > I just purchased a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the complete
                > Supershelter System. I hope to achieve some good 4-season results
                > with it.
                >
                > I've read several of the available "Hennessy Hammock reviews" on the
                > internet with some very mixed feelings. Being a scientist, I'm used
                > to testing under much more controlled standards. While there is
                > certainly useful information to ponder about the hammock itself, some
                > of it is not worth the read. There is not a single bit of research
                > I've come across that offers solid data regarding the Supershelter
                > System offered with this hammock.
                >
                > Here in Saskatchewan, real world 4-season use means temperatures that
                > go below freezing in 3 out of 4 seasons. Winter conditions are some
                > of the harshest and brutal in North America. Let's see how this
                > system, rigged with a space blanket as an additional accessory, fares
                > with my -30 degree celsius sleeping bag (overbag and two fleece
                > garments layered) fares in the future.
                >
                > In the meantime, my MEC -7 degree sleeping bag should fare to its
                > temperature rating without the Overcover. If not, I would see that
                > something is flawed with the system. I will be as objective as
                > possible.
                >

                > Regards,
                >

                > Michael

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                  I've coind a phrase "there aint no substitute for cubic inches". OK
                  I stole it. Of course the original phrase refurs to hp in a car.
                  In a hammock it mostly boils down to "have you got enough cu in of
                  insulation under over and beside you". Dave put up a chart
                  somewhere (one of the hammock camping news letters?) giving what
                  inches are needed to stay warm. Seems like he also mentioned
                  Ryan's ? (wrote backpackings books, invents climbing gear and flys
                  hangliders) chart and how he found he needed a little more than
                  Ryans chart indicated. I dont think the supershelter was designed
                  for -30 F either. you will need more padding or insulation under
                  you. On top it would be any bag that will do for that temp.
                  looking forward to your test results. You got a Fluke?

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael"
                  <dansferd_observatory@y...> wrote:
                  > I just purchased a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the complete
                  > Supershelter System. I hope to achieve some good 4-season results
                  > with it.
                  >
                  > I've read several of the available "Hennessy Hammock reviews" on
                  the
                  > internet with some very mixed feelings. Being a scientist, I'm
                  used
                  > to testing under much more controlled standards. While there is
                  > certainly useful information to ponder about the hammock itself,
                  some
                  > of it is not worth the read. There is not a single bit of
                  research
                  > I've come across that offers solid data regarding the Supershelter
                  > System offered with this hammock.
                  >
                  > Here in Saskatchewan, real world 4-season use means temperatures
                  that
                  > go below freezing in 3 out of 4 seasons. Winter conditions are
                  some
                  > of the harshest and brutal in North America. Let's see how this
                  > system, rigged with a space blanket as an additional accessory,
                  fares
                  > with my -30 degree celsius sleeping bag (overbag and two fleece
                  > garments layered) fares in the future.
                  >
                  > In the meantime, my MEC -7 degree sleeping bag should fare to its
                  > temperature rating without the Overcover. If not, I would see
                  that
                  > something is flawed with the system. I will be as objective as
                  > possible.
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >

                  > Michael
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                    oops meant -30 C. too cold for my blood either way...

                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                      Hi, I love the discussion on how to stay warm in a
                      Hammock. I use "R" rating as my base line. My
                      current "0" degree set-up is a home made "Ultra-Light
                      Down Air Mattress - DAM" - and a home made "Down Top
                      Cover". I get about 3.5 inches of loft in the DAM and
                      have 4" of loft in my Top Cover. I made both the DAM
                      and Down Top Cover to have replaceable Down baffles so
                      I can change or replace all the baffles with other
                      baffles that have more or less Down. This feature
                      lets me tailor the amount of Down for what ever
                      temperature I might encounter.

                      I put this system in my Hammock. The Hammock is a
                      Speer custom made silk hammock. This gives me 3.5 to
                      4 inches of Down all around me.

                      Has my system been tested. No, so far only down to
                      about 20 degrees. I had a cold weather test plan for
                      winter 2005/2005. Cancer caused me to postpone my
                      test plan. Cancer is dead and the side effects are
                      slowly going away. I hope to roll over my cold
                      weather test plan to winter 2005/2006.

                      Bill in Texas

                      __________________________________
                      Discover Yahoo!
                    • Banjo Doje
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                        As one of the Supershelter testers, would you mind telling me what you
                        look for in a report on something like this? Our long term testing
                        has been extended to December and if you aren't finding info that you
                        would like in the reports, I, as a tester, would like to know what you
                        ARE looking for. I'm no scientist but maybe I can incorporate
                        something that you are looking for into the report. Where I live,
                        northwest Pennsylvania, we can have some brutal winters although I'm
                        not sure they are as brutal as Saskatchewan.

                        Thank you for any input you may give me.

                        Jodi Cornelius
                        Hennessy Supershelter Tester

                        --
                        " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                        no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                          > Hi, I love the discussion on how to stay warm in a
                          > Hammock. I use "R" rating as my base line. My
                          > current "0" degree set-up is a home made "Ultra-Light
                          > Down Air Mattress - DAM" - and a home made "Down Top
                          > Cover". I get about 3.5 inches of loft in the DAM and
                          > have 4" of loft in my Top Cover. I made both the DAM
                          > and Down Top Cover to have replaceable Down baffles so
                          > I can change or replace all the baffles with other
                          > baffles that have more or less Down. This feature
                          > lets me tailor the amount of Down for what ever
                          > temperature I might encounter.
                          >
                          > I put this system in my Hammock. The Hammock is a
                          > Speer custom made silk hammock. This gives me 3.5 to
                          > 4 inches of Down all around me.
                          >
                          > Has my system been tested. No, so far only down to
                          > about 20 degrees. I had a cold weather test plan for
                          > winter 2005/2005. Cancer caused me to postpone my
                          > test plan. Cancer is dead and the side effects are
                          > slowly going away. I hope to roll over my cold
                          > weather test plan to winter 2005/2006.
                          >
                          > Bill in Texas

                          Hope all is well, Bill.. I've suffered some mighty severe health
                          problems in the past few years too. It's no fun and we should try
                          and hope for the best. Glad to hear you are in total remission.

                          As for whether or not one has a science background, it would benefit
                          all to really strive to understand the factors that make staying warm
                          and comfortable in a hammock work or not work. Below freezing
                          temperatures is where "4-season" testing should start from. Again, I
                          live in mid-western Canada where winter weather conditions are no
                          joke.

                          Camp site selection is crucial with a tent. In my hammocking
                          experience, I understand the hammock site is far less critical than
                          my tent site. I have almost without reservation purchased the
                          Hennessy 4-season system along with my hammock, including the
                          Overcover. As for my new Explorer Dx Asym model hammock, I have full
                          confidence will afford me the best sleeps I can get while in the
                          backcountry up north for at least two seasons of the year.
                          Eventhough I am a cold weather camper too, I truly love hammocks for
                          their superior comfort. I am an avid backpacker who has many times
                          suffered through endless nights of tossing and turning on a modestly
                          comfortable standard Thermarest, for example. Even my luxury
                          Thermarest CampRest is marginally more comfortable than the standard,
                          in my humble opinion. I have not encountered the inconveniences of
                          tent flooding or any other significant adversity in my modern bomb-
                          proof tents. I agree that this would be enough to end most peoples'
                          wilderness adventures.

                          I'll look forward to taking my new shelter system out under
                          progressively colder conditions as late spring progresses on towards
                          the winter, recording everything of importance along the way. Folks
                          are absolutely correct in saying that there are a good number of
                          factors that play major roles in testing any equipment designed for
                          self-propelled adventures. Simple is usually better in any case.

                          Regards,

                          Michael
                        • Michael
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 10, 2005
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...> wrote:
                            > As one of the Supershelter testers, would you mind telling me what you
                            > look for in a report on something like this? Our long term testing
                            > has been extended to December and if you aren't finding info that you
                            > would like in the reports, I, as a tester, would like to know what you
                            > ARE looking for. I'm no scientist but maybe I can incorporate
                            > something that you are looking for into the report. Where I live,
                            > northwest Pennsylvania, we can have some brutal winters although I'm
                            > not sure they are as brutal as Saskatchewan.
                            >
                            > Thank you for any input you may give me.
                            >
                            > Jodi Cornelius
                            > Hennessy Supershelter Tester

                            Hi Jodi,

                            LOL! Good to hear from you. I'm certain now that you too encounter -
                            55 to -60 Celsius in January. I won't bother with exposed hammock
                            camping in those temps, but it will be nice to see MORE data showcasing
                            what these puppies can do well into some of the colder weather
                            during "normal" winter use. I think the best anyone can expect is a
                            collection of numerous reports from dedicated hammockers. There is no
                            scientific standard for this testing I am aware of that the
                            manufacturer has set forth for this experiment. If there is, please
                            inform me, as I would be glad to fall in with the rest and sign up for
                            the fun! :-) There simply is not enough data yet to say that our
                            Supershelters will really do the trick or not do the trick in our
                            harsher winter settings. IMHO, testing of this nature might have been
                            considered before selling a "4-season upgrade product" to the masses.

                            As I said recently, I am a hammock lover. Having used the Expedition
                            Asym, I trust I will have reliable and cozy "summer plus" use coming my
                            way. Let's keep the lines open. Thank you again for responding to my
                            concern.

                            Michael
                          • Ralph Oborn
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 11, 2005
                              If there is, please inform me, as I would be glad to fall in with
                              the rest and sign up for the fun! :-)

                              BGT is always looking for more testers.

                              Ralph
                            • Banjo Doje
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 11, 2005
                                Well, Michael, from the testing of last winter, without the add-ons
                                that extended the testing season for us, I had very little difficulty
                                out in the cold with my Supershelter - got chills a couple of times at
                                my shoulders but nothing that made me not want to hammock in the cold.
                                Now, with the torso and hip pads added, I can't see any problem with
                                staying warm! However, we had another hammocker who had terrible
                                problems staying warm. So I think a lot of it has to with your own
                                tolerance of cold. I have been in it down to -11 C with only the
                                slight chills - with the torso and hip pads I expect the chills to go
                                away - I'm also going to go out one night when it is expected to get
                                REALLY cold Um, but when I do the conversion from Celcius to
                                Farenheit - I can't honestly say we get down to -60 C which is -76 F
                                ;-) The coldest we get is MAYBE -29 C but usually -20 to -23 C. But
                                this winter, like I said, I'm going to try to get out colder - since
                                it looks like I'm not going to be working for a while, if the cold
                                nights are during the week, I'll be able to get out since I won't have
                                to get up for work.

                                Thanks for your response Michael - yeah, it's kind of hard to get any
                                kind of scientific data figured out - just go by what testers say. We
                                DID, however, have these Supershelters last winter but since they sent
                                the other parts, we didn't do the long term report - they changed it
                                to December (sorry I'm rambling - I'm on meds for my herniated discs
                                and my train of thought frequently gets derailed ;-)

                                But I will post my results on here also as I'm going along before I
                                get my Long Term report done and also after since it is done the
                                middle of December - and we get some really cold weather in January.

                                Jodi

                                --
                                " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                                no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                                believe in me and know that I can do what I set my mind to do."
                                Author Unknown
                              • richard_nisley
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 11, 2005
                                  Micheal,

                                  I am excited to read of your HHSS testing plans. When do you expect
                                  send this group your first report?
                                • Risk
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 11, 2005
                                    Michael,

                                    Welcome to hammocking, especially the sport of cold weather
                                    hammocking. I don't have much to add to your questions about the
                                    Hennessy system, because I have not had a chance to try it.

                                    As far as one semi-scientific method to do some testing, you may enjoy
                                    taking a look through my cold weather hammock tests:

                                    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

                                    I have been out overnight in tempertures as cold as they make them in
                                    Ohio - and I am sure you will be getting much lower temperatures to
                                    play with...

                                    Let me see, -15 F translates to -26 C, not quite the -30 you are
                                    interested in...

                                    I was able to collect some reproducable data using an IR thermometer
                                    which immediately senses the temperature of a surface. Using this, I
                                    was able to take the temperature of several of the layers in the
                                    hammock system. Perhaps something like it can be used with the
                                    Supershelter.

                                    One technique which is important is to make sure the surface tested is
                                    fairly dark - definately not white or shiny. The other important
                                    point is to have the IR thermometer warm just before using it. If
                                    cold soaked, it will not read accurately.

                                    Again, welcome to the fray. I look forward to your reports this winter.

                                    Risk

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael"
                                    <dansferd_observatory@y...> wrote:
                                    > I just purchased a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the complete
                                    > Supershelter System. I hope to achieve some good 4-season results
                                    > with it.
                                    >
                                    > I've read several of the available "Hennessy Hammock reviews" on the
                                    > internet with some very mixed feelings. Being a scientist, I'm used
                                    > to testing under much more controlled standards. While there is
                                    > certainly useful information to ponder about the hammock itself, some
                                    > of it is not worth the read. There is not a single bit of research
                                    > I've come across that offers solid data regarding the Supershelter
                                    > System offered with this hammock.
                                    >
                                    > Here in Saskatchewan, real world 4-season use means temperatures that
                                    > go below freezing in 3 out of 4 seasons. Winter conditions are some
                                    > of the harshest and brutal in North America. Let's see how this
                                    > system, rigged with a space blanket as an additional accessory, fares
                                    > with my -30 degree celsius sleeping bag (overbag and two fleece
                                    > garments layered) fares in the future.
                                    >
                                    > In the meantime, my MEC -7 degree sleeping bag should fare to its
                                    > temperature rating without the Overcover. If not, I would see that
                                    > something is flawed with the system. I will be as objective as
                                    > possible.
                                    >

                                    > Regards,
                                    >

                                    > Michael
                                  • Michael
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 11, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "richard_nisley"
                                      <richard_nisley@m...> wrote:
                                      > Micheal,
                                      >
                                      > I am excited to read of your HHSS testing plans. When do you expect
                                      > send this group your first report?

                                      First night out with my new EDXSS, I'll share the details. I'll be
                                      keeping a log of every time I use the hammock.

                                      Michael
                                    • André Corterier
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 13, 2005
                                        A homemade DAM? I need more details... (in fact, how about a plan,
                                        pictures, etc.? Weight? Thickness? Air retention? Material costs?)
                                        (In case you hadn't noticed, I am very interested...)

                                        André

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > Hi, I love the discussion on how to stay warm in a
                                        > Hammock. I use "R" rating as my base line. My
                                        > current "0" degree set-up is a home made "Ultra-Light
                                        > Down Air Mattress - DAM" -
                                        <snip>
                                      • Bill Fornshell
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 13, 2005
                                          Hi Andre', You will find the life cycle of the
                                          Home-Made Air Mattress turned DAM located here. You
                                          should find most if not all your questions answered.
                                          You will have to do some reading and the DAN version
                                          is at the end. Gardenville is my trail name and I
                                          post here and a few other places using it.

                                          http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=52242&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

                                          Read through this and then if you then have any
                                          specific questions ask away.

                                          Bill in Texas

                                          --- André Corterier <andre.corterier@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > A homemade DAM? I need more details... (in fact, how
                                          > about a plan,
                                          > pictures, etc.? Weight? Thickness? Air retention?
                                          > Material costs?)
                                          > (In case you hadn't noticed, I am very
                                          > interested...)
                                          >
                                          > André
                                          >
                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
                                          > Fornshell <bfornshell@y...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > > Hi, I love the discussion on how to stay warm in
                                          > > Hammock. I use "R" rating as my base line. My
                                          > > current "0" degree set-up is a home made
                                          > "Ultra-Light
                                          > > Down Air Mattress - DAM" -
                                          > <snip>

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • chcoa
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 13, 2005
                                            Hi Michael and welcome to the group.

                                            I'm testing the SuperShelter for Backpackgeartest.org and I'd love to
                                            here more about what kind of info you'd find useful. I of course
                                            write my reviews according to what I think is important but I
                                            certainly want my work to help others as well, so your input would be
                                            very interesting and valued.

                                            Thanks in advance.
                                            jamie in az

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael"
                                            <dansferd_observatory@y...> wrote:
                                            > I just purchased a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the complete
                                            > Supershelter System. I hope to achieve some good 4-season results
                                            > with it.
                                            >
                                            > I've read several of the available "Hennessy Hammock reviews" on
                                            the
                                            > internet with some very mixed feelings. Being a scientist, I'm
                                            used
                                            > to testing under much more controlled standards. While there is
                                            > certainly useful information to ponder about the hammock itself,
                                            some
                                            > of it is not worth the read. There is not a single bit of research
                                            > I've come across that offers solid data regarding the Supershelter
                                            > System offered with this hammock.
                                            >
                                            > Here in Saskatchewan, real world 4-season use means temperatures
                                            that
                                            > go below freezing in 3 out of 4 seasons. Winter conditions are
                                            some
                                            > of the harshest and brutal in North America. Let's see how this
                                            > system, rigged with a space blanket as an additional accessory,
                                            fares
                                            > with my -30 degree celsius sleeping bag (overbag and two fleece
                                            > garments layered) fares in the future.
                                            >
                                            > In the meantime, my MEC -7 degree sleeping bag should fare to its
                                            > temperature rating without the Overcover. If not, I would see that
                                            > something is flawed with the system. I will be as objective as
                                            > possible.
                                            >

                                            > Regards,
                                            >

                                            > Michael
                                          • Im Spartacvs
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 31, 2005
                                              Hello All,

                                              Just joined the group and it appears the growing number of campers
                                              using hammocks.

                                              Santa brought me a Hennessey Ultralite Explorer

                                              WTG Santa!!!

                                              Looking forward to getting out and using it and learning from others
                                              experiences

                                              I live in upstate New York.

                                              -Matthew-
                                            • Bryan
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 21, 2006
                                                I love camping,but rarely get to go because my wife hates to sleep on
                                                the ground, I have never heard of Hammock Camping before. What are some
                                                good links for finding out more about it and what is preferred or
                                                suggested and what to avoid.

                                                Thanks,
                                                Bryan
                                              • J.D. Hoessle
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 21, 2006
                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <toy01@b...> wrote:
                                                  > I love camping,but rarely get to go because my wife hates to sleep on
                                                  > the ground, I have never heard of Hammock Camping before. What are
                                                  > some good links for finding out more about it and what is preferred or
                                                  > suggested and what to avoid.

                                                  Hello, Bryan!

                                                  I am a little over one year into this hammock hanging thing myself.

                                                  Tim has provided you with a number of links in another post here which
                                                  are excellent. I had to prove this stuff to myself; so, the first
                                                  adventure was to make a Risk ZHammock. I stayed warm and comfortable.

                                                  Next, I purchased a Hennessy and then a Speer Hammock. I like the
                                                  Speer a bit more; but, that's just my two cents.

                                                  I began looking at hammocks as a way to save weight (YES it does!);
                                                  but, found that the "comfort factor" everyone raves about is
                                                  unbelieveable.

                                                  Get Mr. Speer's book and make one of your own and/or buy one, and
                                                  practice in the back yard. If your wife hates sleeping on the ground,
                                                  she will find that this is a VERY safe/secure/comfortable way to go!
                                                  Even the "modesty-issue" is covered - you have this tarp over you that
                                                  allows you to stand up to change clothes! You can sit down to change
                                                  shoes/sox and cook without crawling around in the mud.

                                                  And... Depending upon where you live, you could hook up with some of
                                                  these folks here to *SEE* what they are doing.

                                                  Plus, you will find that everyone here is more than genorous with
                                                  help, advice, etc.

                                                  Happy Trails,

                                                  J.D.
                                                • whitewaterpixie
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 24, 2010
                                                    Hi, I just started hanging this summer and am headed out this weekend to
                                                    the Nantahala for the Festival and a little paddling. Seems like
                                                    everywhere I go I talk to someone about hammocking and put them on the
                                                    path to convert. :)

                                                    My rig is an ENO Doublenest, ENO bug-net, Noah Tarp 9 and I changed my
                                                    suspension to Whoopie Slings and Tree Huggers. I don't have the funds
                                                    yet to buy an under quilt so I made a pad extender for my Thermarest and
                                                    put Reflectix insulation in the wings(aluminized bubble wrap). This
                                                    weekend will be my first test. I'll come back with my results. And will
                                                    post some pics.

                                                    Cakes
                                                  • Charles Bey
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 25, 2010
                                                      Welcome to Hammock Forums! Hope to hear more about your hammock
                                                      camping experiences. Didn't know about the Nantahala Festival this
                                                      weekend. Have fun!

                                                      Cheers,
                                                      Mountainwave
                                                    • flyincajun
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 25, 2010
                                                        Hello from a fellow newb ! Just got my Hennessy Expedition Asym today. Only had time for a quick hang test in the back yard. Will play more this week. An all new experience for me.
                                                        More issues with warm weather, rain and mosquitoes down here in Louisiana. Heading up to Arkansas the last week of October.
                                                        Best wishes