Re: easy to build soda can stove (alcohol burner)

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > I'm getting ready for my AT section hike, which is now looming
      > (April 23) and decided I'd like to try using a soda can stove that
      > didn't require a separate stand. I came up with a new design that
      > can be made with one can and a pair of scissors. It works OK.
      >
      > http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/YACCS/index.htm
      >

      > I'll also throw in one thing specific to hammock camping. I am also
      > messing with a Moonbow Gearskin and have taken the idea of
      > snakeskins to the next level. I have made snakeskins that will
      > enclose the entire hammock body complete with GI shell, down
      > insulator, fleece sleeping gear and down bag. This bundle then lies
      > on the gearskin and becomes the pack body. Since everything is sil
      > nylon it is a little on the slippery side, but I'm trying to
      > overcome that difficulty now. Hopefully, it will work out.
      >
      > Sorry if this (or something like it) posts up twice. It looks like
      > my earlier post went into the bit bucket.
      > Ray

      Hey Ray,

      I made your YACCS stove this afternoon, and while it was extremely easy to make, I
      had some difficulty keeping it lit.

      My best guess is that the rubbing alcohol I used was just not pure enough. I didn't
      have any denatured around since my primary stove is a butane canister one I got for
      Christmas.

      I'll try a few more times though. It was so east that I walked over to the closest coffee
      station, found a Coke can in the recycle bin, and used my Letherman Micra to make
      the stove in about 10 minutes. Very easy.

      Thanks again for another improvement on an already cool idea.

      Shane "Mirage"...