HH and kayak trip

  • Ken Harmon
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
      Wanted to share with you my most recent adventure. A friend and I
      left Saturday morning from Cheraw, SC for a 135 mile kayak trip down
      the Great Pee Dee River to the US701 landing above Georgetown. We
      had anticipated making about 25 miles per day. We planned to camp
      out on the banks as we made our way down. Weather forecast was for
      highs about 68-70 and lows 48-50. Of course the weather changed.
      The second night temps dropped to 34 and the third night it was 38.
      Thanks to the hammockcamping gang, I was prepared. All of your
      posts had really helped.

      I had a HH expedition a-sym, a Thermarest standard pad, and a Sierra
      Designs Van Winkle down bag (thanks, Marsanne, for the suggestion
      several months ago about getting a down bag). Other than getting up
      to answer nature's call, I was warm the entire night. (Sorry that I
      didn't get to participate in Coy Boy's discussion.)

      My friend used a canvas-bottom hammock. He had never tried a
      hammock and didn't even try this one out in the backyard before we
      left. He only used a sleeping bag and though he wouldn't admit it,
      I think that he slept pretty cold due to the fact that he didn't
      have any type of pad. He said that he was sold on hammock camping.
      He didn't wake up stiff like he did after sleeping on the ground.
      He said that he learned a lot on this trip and looked forward to
      going again.

      We averaged 30 miles a day for the first four days leaving us a
      short 15 mile paddle on Wednesday. Our only problem was finding a
      camp site on the third night. We would start looking about 6 PM but
      that night it was after sundown before we found a suitable place.
      The problem was that the river was down and the banks were steep and
      muddy. No problem putting up a hammock in just a few minutes and
      after a quick bite, jump in and go to sleep.

      Our last camp site was on a curve in the river on a white sandy bank
      about 15 feet above the water. Prettiest site on the entire trip.
      Every night we were put to sleep by the barred owls calling to each
      other and some mornings were awakened by wild turkeys around our
      camp site.

      Once again I want to thank you for sharing info with me. It really
      made this trip worthwhile.

      Ken
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
        Ken Harmon wrote:

        >Wanted to share with you my most recent adventure. A friend and I
        >left Saturday morning from Cheraw, SC for a 135 mile kayak trip down
        >the Great Pee Dee River to the US701 landing above Georgetown...

        Ken,

        Great report! It was fun reading about your adventures. Sounds like
        you learned lots from just being around and listening. I feel sorry for
        your friend who might have been pretty cold. I know I would have been
        freezing at those temperatures without a pad!

        You might suggest to your friend that he could make himself even more
        miserable by getting the hammock wet, and then wearing wet bluejeans to
        sleep. (kids, don't try this at home...)

        Well, maybe you made a convert to insulation in the hammock. Some
        people (like me) just have to experience the edges of the envelope to
        understand why the general consensus is the general consensus!

        BTW, you may get a kick out of my kayak pages:

        http://www.qsl.net/ws8g/kayak.htm

        Rick aka Risk aka Flyfisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
          Great trip report Ken--thanks for sharing. I've also canoed part of the
          Great Pee Dee, farther upstream than your trip. Would love to do it
          again...Ed Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
            Hi Ken

            Thanks for sharing. Got any pics?

            I'll bet your friend did get pretty cool without a pad or something
            at those temps. The canvas was probably a little warmer than say a
            nylon bottom but not much.

            I love listing to wild turkeys and owls. Even crows at times but
            not near as musical.

            Coy Boy
            PS going by the name of the river peeing is an important topic.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Harmon" <kenhar220@y...>

          • Ken Harmon
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004
              > From Coy:
              > Thanks for sharing. Got any pics?

              Posted 5 pictures in the photo album - Ken on Pee Dee River.

              Took pictures of camp sites on 1st and 4th night. Didn't even think
              about it on the 2nd or 3rd night. Guess I was too tired. The 3rd
              night, the sun had gone down when we finally found a place to camp.
              Had been looking for a suitable place to land for over 1 1/2 hours.
              Ended up going up a small stream and having to climb a 10 foot tall
              bank. Sure was glad that I had a hammock. Was set up in 5 minutes,
              even in the dark.

              I'm sure that you have been caught after dark looking for a campsite.
              Any good tales about that?

              Ken
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004
                Hi Ken

                Thanks for the pics. I think I could handle a trip on the Pee Dee.
                Not skilled enough for much for white water.

                Have set up camp after dark on several occasions. I worry about
                dead limbs overhead and have found some after daylight right over me
                but with my Yukon HL headlamp I can spot them very easily. On a
                river I would want to scout for snakes overhead as well. But no, no
                really unusual experiences setting up after dark (so far).

                Coy Boy

                wrote:
                > > From Coy:
                > > Thanks for sharing. Got any pics?
                >
                > Posted 5 pictures in the photo album - Ken on Pee Dee River.
                >
                > Took pictures of camp sites on 1st and 4th night. Didn't even
                think
                > about it on the 2nd or 3rd night. Guess I was too tired. The 3rd
                > night, the sun had gone down when we finally found a place to
                camp.
                > Had been looking for a suitable place to land for over 1 1/2
                hours.
                > Ended up going up a small stream and having to climb a 10 foot
                tall
                > bank. Sure was glad that I had a hammock. Was set up in 5
                minutes,
                > even in the dark.
                >
                > I'm sure that you have been caught after dark looking for a
                campsite.
                > Any good tales about that?
                >
                > Ken
              • robi
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 23, 2004
                  Rick, can you shoot me a private email?

                  need to pick your brain bout building boats and just to keep it on topic i
                  will use them to get to nice, out fo the way, quiet places to hang my
                  hammock!

                  robi