Re: [Hammock Camping] Dogs and synthetic bags

  • Bruce Calkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
      > Bear

      > I'd be interested in anything you discover about
      > hammocking and hiking with your dog.
      Aside from limitations in climbing rocks and stairs your dog will out hike
      you as long as his/her pack is within reasonable limits.

      > I'm trying to get our two new dogs out in the forest with me.
      They will love it.

      > I've been tenting with them out in the back yard to try to get them
      > used to sleeping outside with me.
      As long as you are comfortable with all the night sounds, they will be too.
      On the other hand if they go on and on barking at every little sound at
      home, you can expect the same behaviour in camp.

      > small tent for them.
      The few times I've used a tent since I got this dog, he has settled right
      in. He never minded sleeping under the tarp either. Dogs will prefer to
      sleep close to you, even on you if they can get away with it. You should
      consider how they sleep at home and use this in setting up their space.

      > small ThermaRest on the floor
      Most dogs will tear up a ThermaRest in short order. Their claws will be
      sharp from hiking and they will turn around on it a few times just settling
      in. My dog seems to prefer a bed of earth or leaves. It takes a major
      effort on my part to get him to lie on a foam pad, even on a wood floored
      shelter.

      > Obviously, this is a whole new area for research, though.
      Whereas all dogs are individuals, YMWV (Your Mileage WILL Vary) I can
      relate what works for Sam and I, You will find a system that works for you
      and yours. Be assured, your dog will cheerfully tolerate a wide range of
      conditions as long as he/she is well watered, fed, and in good condition.
      (I do somehow feel a need to emphasize WATER. Dogs need it for cooling more
      than we do. Cool water to drink, walk in, immerse/swim in, pant out in
      cooling, and so on. And somehow we wind up in charge of the water bottle!)

      Black Wolfe