Re: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 478

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2004
      Ralph-

      Try using your bag as a quilt or blanket.  If you are insulated below, you may not need the sleeping bag under you.  Or, try to attach one shoulder area to your sleeping pad.

      I have a Nunatuck Back Country Blanket.  Usually I just use it like a quilt.  If I expect temps not lower than the 40's I might skip the foam pad and hang a space blanket under the hammock and then sleep in the "bag."  Because the BCB has an open foot, I can stick my feet out and lift up to likde the bag up, then close the foot end.  Another technique is to sit in the hammock entrance, pull the bag up around you, stand a bit and pull the bag up the rest of the way, then sit back and lie down.  You can drop the pad out of the slit like a big tongue and pull it in behind you before you sit back, too.  Multiple layers and fussing with bags can be a hassle, I have to agree.

      Cheers,

      Rosaleen

      From: "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@...>
      Subject: Re: First time (be gentle) Trip report

      No, I'm trying to slide / scoot up towards the head end of the
      hammock while laying horizontal. Trying to maneuver the pad in the
      hammock. Then my bag on the pad. Then me in my bag. Took a lot of
      work and energy. Side to side shifting was as challenging. But
      everyone on this list says it is worth it. I'll keep practicing.

      I'm hesitant to make any permanant altereations to the HH just yet.
      I'll start thinking about what to connect the Paul straps to.

      Ralph