Re: [Hammock Camping] Dogs and synthetic bags

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
      A left zip Big Agnes bag works best in a HH.

      I use a 1/4" closed cell pad for down to about 40 and a 3/8" pad down to about 30.  I think a 3/8" pad only has an 1.6 R value.

      The setup I use with my Zirkle is the 3/8" closed cell pad cut to mummy shape inside the pad sleeve and Pacific Outdoor Products 3/4 length, 1" InsulMat sideways under the bag in a T to prevent the shoulder compression.  With a pillow, my pack under my feet, expedition weight long johns and a down sweater I am comfortable to about 15 degrees.

      My rainfly for the HH is an Equinox silnylon poncho.  If you don't use the HH because you can sleep in a shelter, etc. - the self-inflating pad on top of the closed cell pad in the Zirkle sleeve is very comfortable.  When I include a fleece pillow case and a TYVEK ground cloth the entire shelter, pad and bag is less than 7 pounds.

      Not a clue about the dog.

      Douglas Kitchen wrote:

      Hi, new here, been getting "backpackinglight" emails for about 6 months. My buddy and I just purchased HH Backpacker Asym's.I have been doing a lot of research (reading your e-mails< checking out manufacturers websites) I got a Big Agnes Horse thief and Air core mummy last year with my Squall Tarptent. It looks like the bag and pad may work with a 1/4 foam pad underneath for most of my New England 3 season trips. I'm wondering if anyone has tried synthetic bags that do not compress to replace all the pads and pods and such.Have any of you had any trouble with your dogs adjusting to sleeping under you rather than in the tent with you. I have a 65 lb Aussie Shepherd who loves the whole camping hiking thing, but has slept with me in my tarptent on all his trips. I am planning on making a little shelter for him under the hammock. Any thoughts.Sorry for the long post.

    • Bruce Calkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
        > Have any of you had any trouble with your dogs
        > adjusting to sleeping under you rather than in the
        > tent with you.
        No trouble at all in sleeping under the hammock for my 70lb Golden
        Retriever. The biggest problem I've ever had regarding his comfort has been
        mosquitoes. He took to sleeping under my Epco brand sleep screen rather
        quickly the next trip!

        Black Wolfe
      • Bruce Calkins
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
          > Bear

          > I'd be interested in anything you discover about
          > hammocking and hiking with your dog.
          Aside from limitations in climbing rocks and stairs your dog will out hike
          you as long as his/her pack is within reasonable limits.

          > I'm trying to get our two new dogs out in the forest with me.
          They will love it.

          > I've been tenting with them out in the back yard to try to get them
          > used to sleeping outside with me.
          As long as you are comfortable with all the night sounds, they will be too.
          On the other hand if they go on and on barking at every little sound at
          home, you can expect the same behaviour in camp.

          > small tent for them.
          The few times I've used a tent since I got this dog, he has settled right
          in. He never minded sleeping under the tarp either. Dogs will prefer to
          sleep close to you, even on you if they can get away with it. You should
          consider how they sleep at home and use this in setting up their space.

          > small ThermaRest on the floor
          Most dogs will tear up a ThermaRest in short order. Their claws will be
          sharp from hiking and they will turn around on it a few times just settling
          in. My dog seems to prefer a bed of earth or leaves. It takes a major
          effort on my part to get him to lie on a foam pad, even on a wood floored
          shelter.

          > Obviously, this is a whole new area for research, though.
          Whereas all dogs are individuals, YMWV (Your Mileage WILL Vary) I can
          relate what works for Sam and I, You will find a system that works for you
          and yours. Be assured, your dog will cheerfully tolerate a wide range of
          conditions as long as he/she is well watered, fed, and in good condition.
          (I do somehow feel a need to emphasize WATER. Dogs need it for cooling more
          than we do. Cool water to drink, walk in, immerse/swim in, pant out in
          cooling, and so on. And somehow we wind up in charge of the water bottle!)

          Black Wolfe