Re: [Hammock Camping] answering natures call and staying warm.

  • amy
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 3, 2004
      On Saturday, April 3, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Ralph Oborn wrote:

      > Shane, with all due respect and affection, Tracy was right. And we
      > all knew you were full of something, now we know... So shall we
      > calculate how much more massive you are full than empty.

      I've lost track of who Tracy is.. but I also have a degree in physics,
      so I'm going to chime in. :) Regardless of the thermal gradient
      across your bladder, it's still part of your body, and you're expending
      energy to keep *all* your mass warm. Including any urine in your body.

      Of course, the amount of urine in most people compared to their body
      mass is very small, so the energy expended to keep that particular part
      warm is very small.

      Along this line of thinking, you should get rid of anything else extra
      too. Have an evening constitutional, get your wisdom teeth pulled,
      have an appendectomy, and haul out that gall bladder. You don't really
      need them, and think how much warmer the rest of you will be.

      *grin*

      -amy
    • David Chinell
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 8, 2004
        Franc:

        I have no direct experience of the conversion kit. Based on
        what I've read and heard, the kit accomplishes two things.
        First, it lets you wear the liner while you're wearing the
        poncho. Second, it converts the liner into a zippered
        sleeping bag.

        I've never tried to use the poncho as a sleeping bag. I use
        it only in a hammock, and have given up putting anything
        between me and the hammock that can be compressed.

        It's certainly large enough to make a bag. It has tieout
        straps all around the edges, so in a pinch you could tie it
        into a bag and sleep with the open seam down. At least that
        would let you try it out as a bag.

        Bear