First time (be gentle)

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
      So I'm off for my first time in my HH, (in the yard) this is the
      first time for me, there has been snow etc. here since I got the
      thing in December. Forecast says 39°.

      I put a 1/2 inch of ensolite in the bottom and sides for under my
      bag.

      In a show of support and confidence my wife offered to run a heating
      pad out. Then asked that when I come back in I not wake her. sigh :]

      The neighbors were all impressed but they all walked away smiling?

      Ralph
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
        Ralph Oborn wrote:

        >So I'm off for my first time in my HH, (in the yard) this is the
        >first time for me, there has been snow etc. here since I got the
        >thing in December. Forecast says 39°.
        >
        >I put a 1/2 inch of ensolite in the bottom and sides for under my
        >bag.
        >
        >In a show of support and confidence my wife offered to run a heating
        >pad out. Then asked that when I come back in I not wake her. sigh :]
        >
        >The neighbors were all impressed but they all walked away smiling?

        How did it go Ralph?

        Risk
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
          Trip report is in progress :]
          Ralph

          > >So I'm off for my first time in my HH, > >

          > How did it go Ralph?
          >
          > Risk
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
            Trip report: First time in my HH experience.

            I tried out my Hennesy Hammock for the first time last night. I
            bought the Explorer Ultralite A-sym last December but hadn't the
            chance to use if because of snow. This was done in my back yard. I
            planted two trees 11 years ago at just the right distance apart.
            I'm about 220 lbs, 6 foot 1inch tall, I slept in fleece pants,
            fleece shirt and hooded sweatshirt. Because no rain was predicted, I
            did not use the hex fly.

            As mentioned earlier, the neighbors seemed impressed, but they all
            walked away smiling. My wife suggested I run a heat pad out on an
            extension cord, and asked that I not wake her when I came in at 2:00
            AM

            Temps went down to about 40°, I was concerned about cold spots under
            my hips and shoulders. So I made a liner that I took into the
            hammock with me. I used ½ inch closed cell foam about 7 foot long
            and 40 inches wide with a taper to my feet. My plan was to keep the
            foot part to one side of the entry slit. The foam went in easy
            enough but made it difficult for me to enter. Once I got in
            positioning the foam, my sleeping bag, my self and assorted gear was
            challenging. When I finally got situated I was over heated. A pull
            rope at the head inside would prove handy.

            Problems:1) I think I hung the head end to high. I kept sliding down
            towards the foot end during the night. Which forced me more into the
            banana position and away from the "sweet spot" of horizontal bliss.
            I was also unable to comfortably side sleep. Remedy: I'll lower the
            head.
            2) The foam bunched up in odd uncomfortable folds probably because
            of problem 1. Remedy: I'll trim the foam some and try to think
            horizontal.
            3) This morning there was a moisture sheen on the foam and the
            underside of my bag. Remedy: A fleece liner would probably absorb
            that.

            was hoping for that many on the list seem to have mastered. I'll
            keep working at it. I now see why there is such an effort to develop
            underquilts etc.

            Ralph suggestions appreciated
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
              keep the head end just a tad lower as you have already surmised.
              pads are a pain inside a HH. a little better in a spear but again as
              you elude to, under quilts and pea pods are better, more
              comfortable as long as you dont have to spend an unexpected night
              on the ground. I like the heat pad idea. a generator only weighs
              how much? lol

              practice makes perfect!

              Coy Boy

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                No I jest need to stay a couple of extension cord lengths of home. :]
                Any ideas on installing an internal pull rope in an HH?

                Ralph

                --- I like the heat pad idea. a generator only weighs
                > how much? lol
                >
                > practice makes perfect!

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                  to help set up (raise up) I'm guessing. I have sucessfully grabed
                  the ridge line to assist in setting up but really just poking my
                  feet out the exit slit seems to pendilum me up.. sort of.

                  Coy Boy
                  PS Paul, on the list, sowed some straps on his pad which he ties off
                  to the head end of the hammock to keep it from sliding down. He
                  stays on the pad and the pad dont slip. I dont know if he has made
                  any similar contraption for his new D.A.M air mattress. Paul?

                  <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                  > No I jest need to stay a couple of extension cord lengths of
                  home. :]
                  > Any ideas on installing an internal pull rope in an HH?
                  >
                  > Ralph
                  >
                  > --- I like the heat pad idea. a generator only weighs
                  > > how much? lol
                  > >
                  > > practice makes perfect!

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                    No, I'm trying to slide / scoot up towards the head end of the
                    hammock while laying horizontal. Trying to maneuver the pad in the
                    hammock. Then my bag on the pad. Then me in my bag. Took a lot of
                    work and energy. Side to side shifting was as challenging. But
                    everyone on this list says it is worth it. I'll keep practicing.

                    I'm hesitant to make any permanant altereations to the HH just yet.
                    I'll start thinking about what to connect the Paul straps to.

                    Ralph

                    > to help set up (raise up) I'm guessing. I have sucessfully grabed
                    > the ridge line to assist in setting up but really just poking my
                    > feet out the exit slit seems to pendilum me up.. sort of.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy
                    > PS Paul, on the list, sowed some straps on his pad which he ties
                    off
                    > to the head end of the hammock to keep it from sliding down. He
                    > stays on the pad and the pad dont slip. I dont know if he has
                    made
                    > any similar contraption for his new D.A.M air mattress. Paul?
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                    > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                    > > No I jest need to stay a couple of extension cord lengths of
                    > home. :]
                    > > Any ideas on installing an internal pull rope in an HH?
                    > >
                    > > Ralph
                    > >
                    > > --- I like the heat pad idea. a generator only weighs
                    > > > how much? lol
                    > > >
                    > > > practice makes perfect!

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                      the pad straps Paul made were sewn to the pad (homemade
                      reflectic/fleece pad. He tied some strong string up near the head
                      end of the hammock and attached some clips to the end of the
                      strings. they formed a y shape where they went down to his pad. He
                      (Paul) had some pics but I'm not sure where they are located. You
                      could make a webing pull strap in similar fashion and just tie it to
                      the head end (reach up as far on the exposed overhaed ridge line as
                      you can). Let it come down about a foot from the end where you
                      could just reach it and pull, but keeping the pad from slipping down
                      might work just as well... that along with lowering the head end
                      just a couple of inches should solve everything. An underquilt or
                      peapod combined with a light top blanket should eliminate the pad
                      altogether though so I would put my money and energy in that
                      direction. that said I use the target pad for now myself. 2 in
                      winter in fact. my pads dont slip all that much but get anoying
                      rools/ridgees which isnt near as comfortable as the hammock sans a
                      pad.

                      Coy Boy