Re: [Hammock Camping] answering natures call and staying warm.

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 3, 2004
      Shane, with all due respect and affection, Tracy was right. And we
      all knew you were full of something, now we know... So shall we
      calculate how much more massive you are full than empty.

      Ralph
      PS, Note to Marsanne, 24 hours and still going...

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
      <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > Shane, when you calculate the amount of energy it takes to
      > > maintain something at a constant temp the answer is 0. unless
      > > it is losing energy somehow somewhere.
      > > Since the bladder is
      > > inside your body. there is no temp gradient (thanks to Debra
      > > for introducing the concept). Basic Thermodynamics :]
      >
      > So, if you die, your urine will stay at 98.6 for the rest of time?
      >
      > I don't think so... You're ignoring thermal mass. Assumably, if
      the
      > temperature is below 98.6, then your whole body is loosing heat.
      It takes
      > something to keep your whole body warm. The greater the mass of
      the body,
      > then the greater the energy requirement to warm that mass. Think
      about it
      > like a rock. If you put a little rock in a fire, it gets hot
      really fast.
      > If you put a really big rock in the same fire, it takes longer.
      If you
      > build the same fire next to a REALLY big rock, it may never heat
      up...

      > But now I'm off topic...
      >
      > Shane
    • David Chinell
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 8, 2004
        Franc:

        I have no direct experience of the conversion kit. Based on
        what I've read and heard, the kit accomplishes two things.
        First, it lets you wear the liner while you're wearing the
        poncho. Second, it converts the liner into a zippered
        sleeping bag.

        I've never tried to use the poncho as a sleeping bag. I use
        it only in a hammock, and have given up putting anything
        between me and the hammock that can be compressed.

        It's certainly large enough to make a bag. It has tieout
        straps all around the edges, so in a pinch you could tie it
        into a bag and sleep with the open seam down. At least that
        would let you try it out as a bag.

        Bear