Re: [Hammock Camping] a change of subject

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
      Francois wrote:

      >I just cut my hammock smaller so it will fit better under my poncho
      >but i'm not sure about the lenght..What do you guys think would be
      >the shortest lenght possible for a hammock in order to retain its
      >working properties?? I'm 6'2, my guess would be around 7'8 but any
      >suggestions would be welcomed!
      >-franc

      Franc,

      Ed has done more experimenting with this than anyone. Maybe he will
      chime in.

      I have always cut my hammocks at 10 feet and then tied the two end
      knots. It ends up about 9 feet long and feels right for my 6'0"
      height. I once had to emergency fix a hammock by tying it off with an
      effective length of about 9 feet of cloth. It was uncomfortably tight
      by my feet.

      I have notice that the required length of the hammock is determined more
      by my waist to foot length than by my overall height. My waist ends up
      right about the middle of the hammock. From there, I need enough room
      to be able to put my feet in a side "sweet spot" pocket."

      I have been able to do just fine with a tarp of 10 feet in length. Most
      ponchos do not have this length.

      Rick
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
        one ounce of fluid weighs about one ounce of weight. Good
        observation.

        Ralph

        To continue the discussion, I'm sure lots of experienced people
        disagree about keeping urine warm, it doesn't really matter. If
        someone wants to argue the thermodynamics, I'm game, this is getting
        to sound like a religious discussion. :]

        Everybody agrees if you are uncomfortable you aren't sleeping. So
        go before you go to bed, Go in the middle of the night if you need
        to. Have a snack and do a couple of jumping jacks to warm up before
        you climb back to bed.

        Thats all Ralph

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@h...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004

          PS: about that bladder thing, have you ever thought about how much
          weight you're saving by urinating frequently?  We once weinnies
          should stop to pee every 5 min.!

          I have been laughing at all the responses your question brought up Coy...

          I don't know how it is for anyone else.  For me, primary importance in the middle of the night is to sleep.  I can't sleep if I am cold.  I can't sleep if I need to pee.  Getting up to pee does not get me too cold and I warm up fast.

          Getting up from a hammock is a LOT easier than getting up and out of a tent.  Even at -10 F, it was not too cold to get up twice to do the necessary.

          If I am too cold to get up and pee, I will not go back to sleep.  That will be a very bad night indeed.

          All other reasoning seems to be useless unless it helps me to get back to sleep.  (Which it might)