RE: [Hammock Camping] answering natures call and staying warm.

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 2 9:40 PM
      > Background. Backbreaker states for a fact that answereing
      > natures call saves body heat. That holding it in waste energy
      > heating/keeping warm bladder contents. Isn't it already warm
      > though? Probably a good idea as for as resting comfortable...
      > but is the statment true, partially true or it depends? Any
      > volenteers for a scientific study? Best of both worlds....
      > pea in bottle and place inside bag untill all heat is
      > extracted. Comments?

      This is true. It takes some energy to maintain the thermal mass represented
      by the urine. You could actually calculate it if you wanted to... The
      trick is, though, that you're going to loose WAY more heat by getting out of
      your bag to take care of nature.

      In the end, it's one of those things that just doesn't make that much
      difference in the long run. Nobody has ever died of hypothermia because
      they had a full bladder...

      Shane
    • David Chinell
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 8 6:47 AM
        Franc:

        I have no direct experience of the conversion kit. Based on
        what I've read and heard, the kit accomplishes two things.
        First, it lets you wear the liner while you're wearing the
        poncho. Second, it converts the liner into a zippered
        sleeping bag.

        I've never tried to use the poncho as a sleeping bag. I use
        it only in a hammock, and have given up putting anything
        between me and the hammock that can be compressed.

        It's certainly large enough to make a bag. It has tieout
        straps all around the edges, so in a pinch you could tie it
        into a bag and sleep with the open seam down. At least that
        would let you try it out as a bag.

        Bear