Re: [Hammock Camping] answering natures call and staying warm.

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 2, 2004
      Sometimes I take a thermos of hot coco or coffee on short
      overnights. I know coffee is a duratic and make me get up more but
      so what. It sure taste good and warms me up momentarially. Hot
      coco is probably the better choice but coffe dont keep me awake
      (much). Just goes through me faster.

      Coy Boy

      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > Yes, you are taking net energy away from the system but since it
      is
      > no warmer than the rest of your body keeping it in the system does
      > not keep you any warmer either. Just more uncomfortable. And you
      can
      > get some of the energy back by snuggling with it. (no thanks).
      > Ther is also a loss of mass to go with that loss of energy. But
      when
      > I get up (as I always do) I usually have a drink also.
      >
      > Ralph

      > > ha ha!
      > >
      > > on the energy part though... taking something warm away from the
      > > body should result in a net loss of warmth... or something like
      > > that. might be ofset by the energy used to hold it? I know it
      > is
      > > a wierd topic and wide open for all kinds of jokes but when I
      read
      > > the article it just sounded like it might just be wrong on that
      > one
      > > (wives tale etc)
      > >
      > > Coy Boy
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Not a scientist. Don't care why it is true. OK. I do. Let's
      > > see...you're
      > > > using muscles to hold it in. That requires energy. At least,
      it
      > > does in
      > > > women. Maybe you men can really just tie a knot? Never seen
      one
      > > who can, BUT
      > > > I REMAIN EVER HOPEFUL! (This is what happens when you ask me
      > > questions when
      > > > I have been drinking wine...I have been on this list for more
      > than
      > > a year.
      > > > You should have seen this coming....)
      > > > Marsanne
      > > >

      > > > why is it true? just wondering
      > > >
      > > > Coy Boy
    • David Chinell
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 8, 2004
        Franc:

        I have no direct experience of the conversion kit. Based on
        what I've read and heard, the kit accomplishes two things.
        First, it lets you wear the liner while you're wearing the
        poncho. Second, it converts the liner into a zippered
        sleeping bag.

        I've never tried to use the poncho as a sleeping bag. I use
        it only in a hammock, and have given up putting anything
        between me and the hammock that can be compressed.

        It's certainly large enough to make a bag. It has tieout
        straps all around the edges, so in a pinch you could tie it
        into a bag and sleep with the open seam down. At least that
        would let you try it out as a bag.

        Bear