Re: [Hammock Camping] answering natures call and staying warm.

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 2 8:02 PM
      OK Rule number one. Go before you go to bed, You really don't want
      to have to get back up only a few minutes later.

      That said. it takes minimal energy for all humans to "keep it in".
      However if I am uncomfortable (as I am also old) I will get up and
      take care of business. If I was getting chilled, this activity
      usually warms me up a bit and I can rearrange my bedding etc. grab a
      snack etc.

      But it takes no energy to maintain something at a constant
      temperature inside a stable closed system (your body).

      Ralph

      PS I had a couple of new scouts years ago who did not bother to
      clean out thier cooking equipment before going to bed. In the middle
      of the night one got up but was also to lazy to find his shoes so he
      could head to the bushes. So he just stood on the corner of his tarp
      and shot it out. Next morning guess what they found in thier frying
      pan with the leftover beans from supper.
    • David Chinell
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 8 6:47 AM
        Franc:

        I have no direct experience of the conversion kit. Based on
        what I've read and heard, the kit accomplishes two things.
        First, it lets you wear the liner while you're wearing the
        poncho. Second, it converts the liner into a zippered
        sleeping bag.

        I've never tried to use the poncho as a sleeping bag. I use
        it only in a hammock, and have given up putting anything
        between me and the hammock that can be compressed.

        It's certainly large enough to make a bag. It has tieout
        straps all around the edges, so in a pinch you could tie it
        into a bag and sleep with the open seam down. At least that
        would let you try it out as a bag.

        Bear