RE: [Hammock Camping] Snake Skins for a Speer?

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
      Risk, great idea for the tarp.

      Chet
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ra1@... [mailto:ra1@...]
      Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 8:30 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Snake Skins for a Speer?

      Quoting matthulbert <ms@...>:

      > Thanks Chet and Risk.
      >
      > What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
      > you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
      > too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

      I cut the material 7 in by 60 in, just a 7 inch sliver off the end of the
      silnylon bolt.  Then I fold it over on itself and sew a simple seam a half inch
      from the two edges.  This technically gives a circumference of 6 inches and a
      diameter of 6/3.14= almost 2 inches.  This works out pretty well to hold the
      hammock and bug net.

      I also put my silnylon tarp and all its lines (except for the tree tying lines)
      in a set of tubes about an inch in diameter.  For this I cut two strips about
      4.25 inches wide.  I like putting the tarp up like this on a windy day.  It
      makes it much easier to find the right two lines to tie to the trees.  It keeps
      the rest of them from tying themselves in knots while I am trying to tie up to
      the tree.

    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
        Quoting Chet Clocksin <cclocksin@...>: