RE: [Hammock Camping] Snake Skins for a Speer?

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
      Definately worth making for the Speer. I typically leave the bugnet attached to the hammock (in bug season) and slide the snakeskins right over everything except the tarp. This gives you a nice waterproof package, and makes it easy to set up. I usually put my tarp in the back mesh pocket of my pack, so its quick to pull it out and put it up, and then pull the hammock out of my pack, lay the hammock (in the tubes) out on the ground between the trees while I tie up one side. I make my skins with two finger loops of grosgrain ribbon on the open mouth end of each tube to make deployment fast and easy.
      Congrats on your new hammock! It feels great to make your own.

      Chet
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
        matthulbert wrote:

        >I have snake skins for my HH and they work great. I know some of you
        >have made some for your Speer hammock. Are they worth it?

        I like them. It makes it easier to put the hammock up when it is
        raining or the ground is wet. It protects the end knots from rain
        splatter. It makes it easier to put the thing in a stuff sack.

        Since it takes so little material, I'd suggest you try them and see if
        you like them.

        BTW, I call the things HammockTubes to avoid infringing on Tom
        Hennessey's TradeMark.

        Rick
      • matthulbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
          Thanks Chet and Risk.

          What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
          you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
          too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

          It's pretty fun making stuff. I have some clothes I'm going to make
          after I get the hammock all setup.

          I'm trying to decide if I want to make a down quilt. It will be so
          much work! In the long run it would probably be better if I worked a
          little overtime (instead of spending hours sewing) and buy a Nunatak
          back country blanket or Arc Alpinist that's all nice and professional.
          I do have a really nice design I've worked out for a versatile quilt,
          though. No one would make my design but me!

        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
            Quoting matthulbert <ms@...>:

            > Thanks Chet and Risk.
            >
            > What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
            > you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
            > too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

            I cut the material 7 in by 60 in, just a 7 inch sliver off the end of the
            silnylon bolt. Then I fold it over on itself and sew a simple seam a half inch
            from the two edges. This technically gives a circumference of 6 inches and a
            diameter of 6/3.14= almost 2 inches. This works out pretty well to hold the
            hammock and bug net.

            I also put my silnylon tarp and all its lines (except for the tree tying lines)
            in a set of tubes about an inch in diameter. For this I cut two strips about
            4.25 inches wide. I like putting the tarp up like this on a windy day. It
            makes it much easier to find the right two lines to tie to the trees. It keeps
            the rest of them from tying themselves in knots while I am trying to tie up to
            the tree.
          • Chet Clocksin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
              I make mine out of two rectangles 10" wide, and about 4 1/2 feet long. Hem all sides, then do the long seam. Instead of tapering the end to keep from pulling over the knot, I just sew in from each edge, toward the middle, leaving an opening 1 inch wide (just wide enough for the strap). Works great, and easy too!
              What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
              you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
              too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

              It's pretty fun making stuff. I have some clothes I'm going to make
              after I get the hammock all setup.

              I'm trying to decide if I want to make a down quilt. It will be so
              much work! In the long run it would probably be better if I worked a
              little overtime (instead of spending hours sewing) and buy a Nunatak
              back country blanket or Arc Alpinist that's all nice and professional.
              I do have a really nice design I've worked out for a versatile quilt,
              though. No one would make my design but me!

              > matthulbert wrote:
              >
              > >I have snake skins for my HH and they work great. I know some of you
              > >have made some for your Speer hammock. Are they worth it?
              > >

              > I like them.  It makes it easier to put the hammock up when it is
              > raining or the ground is wet.  It protects the end knots from rain
              > splatter. It makes it easier to put the thing in a stuff sack.
              >
              > Since it takes so little material, I'd suggest you try them and see if
              > you like them.
              >
              > BTW, I call the things HammockTubes to avoid infringing on Tom
              > Hennessey's TradeMark.
              >
              > Rick

            • Chet Clocksin
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004