Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped wallcreeper PL

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      Chet,
      HAve you used it as the peapod yet? I was thinking about this also.
      I don't know if I can justify the weight for it just as a 40 F bag
      inside. I would have to have the large since I'm 5'11" and it comes
      in at 2 lbs 13oz. I have a 20 F that weighs 2 oz less than that. I
      do like that you can wear it though.

      The Ecotat thing made me start looking for stuff like this. I saw
      Mr. Speers option too. I realy like this idea of being able to wear
      it. It's very muti pupose and practicle to me.

      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
      <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
      > Jamie, check out my pics of my Wallcreeper in the photo section, in
      the
      > folder "Chet's home made". I have the Exped Down Wallcreeper. I
      think its
      > going to be an awesome bag, though I've only used it for one
      overnight in my
      > hammock. The Pertex shell did a great job of keeping the bag dry.
      When I
      > woke up, everything was soaking wet with dew, including the outside
      of my
      > wallcreeper, but it was totally dry inside, and did not lose any
      loft.

      > Chet
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
        Yes, I did use it as a peapod and it works great. I have the Goose down model, and it is rated at "32 F comfort / 23 F extreme" I have noticed many of the web sites that sell the Wallcreeper get the specs mixed up between the Down model and the PL model. I have the large size, and its huge. I originally bought the medium size, but then returned it, not because of the length, which was fine, but because it was a little tight around my chest with my arms pulled inside. I am 5' 11", and 225lbs. The size difference is striking between the bags. The large size has a girth at the shoulders of 75 inches, girth at the foot of 67 inches, and length of 102 inches. The medium has shoulder girth of 59 in., foot girth at 51 in., and length of 84 inches. The large size makes a great peapod, but I did not try the meduim as a peapod. Listed weight is 39 oz, but mine weighs in at 45 oz.

        <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
        > Jamie, check out my pics of my Wallcreeper in the photo section, in
        the
        > folder "Chet's home made". I have the Exped Down Wallcreeper. I
        think its
        > going to be an awesome bag, though I've only used it for one
        overnight in my
        > hammock. The Pertex shell did a great job of keeping the bag dry.
        When I
        > woke up, everything was soaking wet with dew, including the outside
        of my
        > wallcreeper, but it was totally dry inside, and did not lose any
        loft.

        > Chet

      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
          Jamie:

          I've owned the medium-sized, synthetic fill Wallcreeper for
          two years now. It's as Chet described, somewhat narrow at
          the chest when you have your arms inside. Being of small
          stature (although of runaway girth) it works for me.

          I doubt that the medium size would work as a peapod. Being
          so narrow, you'd be putting an awful strain on the zipper.

          It does work as a boxy down vest, as advertised. I also use
          it as a quilt, and it works just fine that way too.

          Bear

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
            Thanks Chet. I will have to look into it further before I decide.
            Wehre I hike, I think a outter peapod style cover that goes down to
            about freezing would be enough.

            <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
            > Yes, I did use it as a peapod and it works great. I have the Goose
            down
            > model, and it is rated at "32 F comfort / 23 F extreme" I have
            noticed many
            > of the web sites that sell the Wallcreeper get the specs mixed up
            between
            > the Down model and the PL model. I have the large size, and its
            huge. I
            > originally bought the medium size, but then returned it, not
            because of the
            > length, which was fine, but because it was a little tight around my
            chest
            > with my arms pulled inside. I am 5' 11", and 225lbs. The size
            difference is
            > striking between the bags. The large size has a girth at the
            shoulders of 75
            > inches, girth at the foot of 67 inches, and length of 102 inches.
            The medium
            > has shoulder girth of 59 in., foot girth at 51 in., and length of
            84 inches.
            > The large size makes a great peapod, but I did not try the meduim
            as a
            > peapod. Listed weight is 39 oz, but mine weighs in at 45 oz.
            >
            > Chet

            Service.