Snake Skins for a Speer?

  • matthulbert
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      I have snake skins for my HH and they work great. I know some of you
      have made some for your Speer hammock. Are they worth it?

      On the HH it's all-in-one design makes the snakes skins really great
      -- your whole setup is nice and dry in a tube.

      But on a Speer, the seperate tarp and bugnet makes the snake skins not
      as useful -- you pack up the hammock while under the tarp, put the
      bugnet away and take down the tarp last.

      I know they can help keep the straps dry, but that doesn't seem like
      enough upside to be worth the effort.

      Comments?

      P.S. I now have a double bottom hammock and a 5' x 10' tarp done. All
      I have to do now is the travel pod and the synth blanket to go under
      it. The tarp turned out great. The 1.1 oz ripstop that thru-hiker has
      is really confortable for the hammock body, too.
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
        Definately worth making for the Speer. I typically leave the bugnet attached to the hammock (in bug season) and slide the snakeskins right over everything except the tarp. This gives you a nice waterproof package, and makes it easy to set up. I usually put my tarp in the back mesh pocket of my pack, so its quick to pull it out and put it up, and then pull the hammock out of my pack, lay the hammock (in the tubes) out on the ground between the trees while I tie up one side. I make my skins with two finger loops of grosgrain ribbon on the open mouth end of each tube to make deployment fast and easy.
        Congrats on your new hammock! It feels great to make your own.

        Chet

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
          matthulbert wrote:

          >I have snake skins for my HH and they work great. I know some of you
          >have made some for your Speer hammock. Are they worth it?

          I like them. It makes it easier to put the hammock up when it is
          raining or the ground is wet. It protects the end knots from rain
          splatter. It makes it easier to put the thing in a stuff sack.

          Since it takes so little material, I'd suggest you try them and see if
          you like them.

          BTW, I call the things HammockTubes to avoid infringing on Tom
          Hennessey's TradeMark.

          Rick
        • matthulbert
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
            Thanks Chet and Risk.

            What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
            you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
            too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

            It's pretty fun making stuff. I have some clothes I'm going to make
            after I get the hammock all setup.

            I'm trying to decide if I want to make a down quilt. It will be so
            much work! In the long run it would probably be better if I worked a
            little overtime (instead of spending hours sewing) and buy a Nunatak
            back country blanket or Arc Alpinist that's all nice and professional.
            I do have a really nice design I've worked out for a versatile quilt,
            though. No one would make my design but me!

          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
              Quoting matthulbert <ms@...>:

              > Thanks Chet and Risk.
              >
              > What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
              > you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
              > too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

              I cut the material 7 in by 60 in, just a 7 inch sliver off the end of the
              silnylon bolt. Then I fold it over on itself and sew a simple seam a half inch
              from the two edges. This technically gives a circumference of 6 inches and a
              diameter of 6/3.14= almost 2 inches. This works out pretty well to hold the
              hammock and bug net.

              I also put my silnylon tarp and all its lines (except for the tree tying lines)
              in a set of tubes about an inch in diameter. For this I cut two strips about
              4.25 inches wide. I like putting the tarp up like this on a windy day. It
              makes it much easier to find the right two lines to tie to the trees. It keeps
              the rest of them from tying themselves in knots while I am trying to tie up to
              the tree.
            • Chet Clocksin
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
                I make mine out of two rectangles 10" wide, and about 4 1/2 feet long. Hem all sides, then do the long seam. Instead of tapering the end to keep from pulling over the knot, I just sew in from each edge, toward the middle, leaving an opening 1 inch wide (just wide enough for the strap). Works great, and easy too!
                What diameter are you guys using for your 'Tubes? Rick, I read that
                you are tapering the small end to be really small so it can't slide
                too far. I'll definately do that. But what's the big end circumference?

                It's pretty fun making stuff. I have some clothes I'm going to make
                after I get the hammock all setup.

                I'm trying to decide if I want to make a down quilt. It will be so
                much work! In the long run it would probably be better if I worked a
                little overtime (instead of spending hours sewing) and buy a Nunatak
                back country blanket or Arc Alpinist that's all nice and professional.
                I do have a really nice design I've worked out for a versatile quilt,
                though. No one would make my design but me!

                > matthulbert wrote:
                >
                > >I have snake skins for my HH and they work great. I know some of you
                > >have made some for your Speer hammock. Are they worth it?
                > >

                > I like them.  It makes it easier to put the hammock up when it is
                > raining or the ground is wet.  It protects the end knots from rain
                > splatter. It makes it easier to put the thing in a stuff sack.
                >
                > Since it takes so little material, I'd suggest you try them and see if
                > you like them.
                >
                > BTW, I call the things HammockTubes to avoid infringing on Tom
                > Hennessey's TradeMark.
                >
                > Rick

              • Chet Clocksin
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004