[Hammock Camping] Re: TNF Nuptse blanket, was Using bag for underquilt / Ecotat

  • dtwadsworth
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      Rick,

      I bought one a couple of weeks ago to use as insulation under a HH.
      The listed specs are 60" x 66" but in reality it is closer to 54" x
      64". The insulation fill weight is 18 oz (I haven't weighed the
      entire blanket to get an actual weight yet), I'm not sure about the
      down quality/fill power but I'd guess it's no more than 550 as these
      were made as a promo for the masses.

      It would be hard to feel that you overpaid for a down blanket for
      $39 + shipping, but whether it's right for you all depends on your
      intended application... I'm using it in an undershell and have it
      folded in half making it 27" x 64". In this configuration I get a
      good 3" of loft and by having two layers work around the fact that
      it's made using stitch-through construction instead of baffles. I'm
      experiementing using it on the diagonal for a little more coverage
      but I like the full double layer when it's just folded straight
      over. I also tried using it as a top sleeping cover one night but
      as expected was annoyed because unless you're pretty sohrt it's not
      long enough to really feel fully covered. As under-hammock
      insulation that doesn't seem as critical (in limited testing to date
      anyway) as I use a pillow under my head anyway and I'm only planning
      to use this configuration down to about 35F - 40F.

      It's not going to be like a WM or Nunatak (it's north face after all
      and probably one of their low-end items at that), but it is cheap,
      light, and compressible.

      I'll try to post some pics this weekend with the blanket in a new
      undershell design...

      David

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neptunebeach"
      <neptunebeach@c...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know the specifications of TNF Nuptse blanket,
      apparently built
      > for Chevrolet as part of their TNF branded trailblazer?
      > Nothing I could find on TNF site about it. Anyone know what
      materials were
      > used, and whit the type and amount of fill was? IS the current
      batch on
      > ebay a buy at ~$50 delivered?
      > Thanks
      > Rick

    • matthulbert
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2004
        I bought one of these blankets on Ebay (like a few others here), but I
        haven't taken it out yet. I'm going hiking this weekend, but I haven't
        decided if I'm going to take it (I may take my synthetic blanket if I
        finish it in time).

        I don't yet have a scale. Has anyone weighed their blanket yet? With
        18 oz of fill it seems like it should weigh about 24-28 oz.

        I'm going to be testing a bunch of new gear I've made this winter:
        Double bottom hammock, TravelPod, and Tarp.

        The TravelPod is quite a contraption! I mostly used Risk's plans, but
        I added a strap that goes from the ends up to the bugnet D-ring (The
        hammock mostly follows the plan from Ed's book) to keep it from
        creeping in toward the middle. I made the strap using 1" webbing,
        which is complete overkill, but it was all I had laying around with
        the necessary hardware.

        I'll take pictures later after I test it to see how it works. It seems
        like there's too much baggyness at the bottom, but I can't tell on my
        low-rider hammock stand here at home. It seems like I have 4-6 inches
        of sag in the travelpod.
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2004
          I bought two of the down blankets off e-bay. One for insulating a
          mild weather underquilt. The other to be converted into a bivy
          sack. I plan to sew velcro around the edge to allow quick assembly,
          but didn't have time to do it for this weekends campout at Quantico,
          VA. Estimate that the low for the night was around 50 degrees with
          very little wind. Started out laying on the much venerated Target
          blue pad. Used a fleece zip bag around 1 AM and had the quilt laid
          out on the side next to me inside my HH Asym. Around 5 AM the
          coolness overcame sleep, so I flipped the quilt over me and tucked it
          around the fleece bag. Easy to work with since it isn't that wide,
          and I was snug and warm in a few minutes. The bag that the quilt
          comes in, when turned inside out, is fleece lined and makes a very
          comfortable pillow.

          The rest of my attire that evening was running shorts, coolmax long
          sleeve shirt and a nylon pullover golf jacket.

          Tom in Virginia Beach

          PS. Don't have a scale that will weigh the blanket, sorry.