RE: [Hammock Camping] Chet!

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004

      Thank you. This helps.

      Marsanne,

      I added 2 photos of the 4 wrap knot tied to the steel stand. They're in "chet's home made" folder on the group photo section. Let me know if they're not clear enough, or if you want me to send them to you directly. The knots have held without slipping, but I find that if I want to adjust the height I can twist and pull them with some effort and move them up or down on the stand without untying / re-tying.

    • Risk
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
        <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
        > Marsanne,
        > I added 2 photos of the 4 wrap knot tied to the steel stand.

        Chet,

        Ed Speer has a great way of tying this knot to make sure it does not
        slip down the vertical pole.

        Once he has done the 4 wrap knot, he takes the end of the webbing over
        the top rail and then back to the 4-wrap knot, tying it off with an
        easy to release loop knot. This eliminates any tendency of the knot
        to slip down the pole. For some types of smooth poles, this could be
        important.

        Rick
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          I would like to see a close up picture of this technique, if anybody has
          one. I cannot see the pictures in the book. I mean, they are there, but they
          are too dark. Also, would it work with ropes, too, or just straps?

          Chet,

          Ed Speer has a great way of tying this knot to make sure it does not
          slip down the vertical pole.

          Once he has done the 4 wrap knot, he takes the end of the webbing over
          the top rail and then back to the 4-wrap knot, tying it off with an
          easy to release loop knot. This eliminates any tendency of the knot
          to slip down the pole. For some types of smooth poles, this could be
          important.

          Rick
        • Chet Clocksin
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            Risk has great pictures of tying this knot on his website   www.imrisk.com

            Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and look under the heading HAMMOCK CAMPING REFERENCES

            Chet