Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Using bag for underquilt / Ecotat

  • Tom Jarrell
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31 10:22 PM
      David,

      I took a look at the e-bay ecotat and I'm intrigued.  Can you tell me more about your impression of the bag.  I was looking to use it as a sleeping quilt inside an HH for the summer, or making an outer quilt out of it.  The website mentions a 40 degree and a 20 (possibly 0) degree bag.  Which did you get?  You mentioned a Northface down blanket.  How did that turn out?  I've converted an extreme cold mummy bag into a winter outer quilt, so I'm moving on to have something lighter and usable for the warmer (but not warm enough to go bare) months in my HH.

      Thanks,
      Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        Tom,

        I was very disappointed in the bag and returned it. It is "like"
        and Ecotat in design, but not an actual Ecotat which I'm pretty sure
        were contract-made by Wiggy's of high quality lamilite insulation.
        This one is made of very cheap nylon materials. Plus it's very
        heavy and does not compress much - the one on ebay is the 40F bag
        and weighs 4 lbs list (I didn't weigh the actual). IMO, you'd be
        much happier finding a higher quality bag that also opens into a
        quilt.

        Actually, I've always wondered why more people don't "recycle" used
        down bags on ebay for use as an underquilt. Seems that would be
        much cheaper and easier than buying down and making your own and
        probably better construction quality too. For example, here's one
        random older REI down bag now ( http://tinyurl.com/2bnsy ) at $10.
        It opens to a quilt and is probably a 20 or 25F bag at 4 lbs. You
        could cut off the zippers and maybe even part of the width to get
        lighter.

        The North Face down blanket should work pretty well for me for cold
        but not freezing conditions. I'm using it as an insulator in a
        novel "undershell" that I'll post pics, etc about soon. Cons: The
        blanket is a bit smaller than the listed dimensions which makes it
        tough to get full body coverage from head to toe. Also, it's
        stitched through in places but I'm folding it in half so that
        doesn't really matter. Pros: cheap, light, compressible. Oh yeah,
        the bag it comes in is fleece lined for a great pillow.

        David

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jarrell" <tjarrell@c...>

        .
      • tjarrell@cox.net