Re: photos from trip (Jury rigged hammock stand)

  • seuss910
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2004
      Worried about me? How sweet. Yourself making a 3 state, cross
      mountain midnight drive after a full day of hiking and YOU were
      worried about ME? I'm touched. All I did was sleep the sleep of the
      just. Nothing - neither pole, nor human, nor hammock - came crashing
      down in the night and if anyone made a moonlit nature call I'm
      guessing they did it on the other side of the tanglefoot trap.

      For those wondering what in blazes I'm talking about, I intended to
      use my brand new and dirt cheap hammock stand at the hangout - which
      had been extensively tested exactly once in the comforts of my
      backyard. I've posted some pictures in the Photo section of how it
      looks when it works.

      The stand cost less than $10 to assemble and consists of 2 2x3s
      (about $1.50 each at Lowe's) 4 aluminum doggie tie-out stakes ($1
      each at the Dollar Tree) and various lengths of rope. The 2x3s were
      cut to 6 1/2 foot lengths so they could fit neatly in the back of a
      Mazda Protege.

      The stand works fine in the back yard and would probably work fine
      anywhere you (or "one" as Rick may prefer) could set it up in broad,
      flat, deep suburban yard. If you ever had need to set up a hammock
      on the fifty yard line of a football field this would work fine
      unless it was astroturf. Unfortunately, the campsite at Rainbow
      Springs more closely resembled astroturf than manicured lawn. The
      doggie stakes went down through about one inch of sandy topsoil and
      three or four inches of loose aggregate before hitting solid rock.
      Not a good hold. Not even an OK hold. Eventually, by using one tree
      at the edge of the site and tying off the other pole to an exposed
      root and using several half-assed stake placements - well, it wasn't
      pretty but it held and nothing woke me but the occasional sounds of
      hoot owls and powertools. And even they couldn't wake me for long
      enough to worry about my shaky hang.

      But how was your drive?

      . . .
      > PS I ment to ask, How did Zuse make it in his hammock. I was
      > worried about him:') Did anybody break thier neck in the tangle of
      > fly lines trying to get up in the middle of the night. It was like
      > a maze
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 1:07 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
        > Worried about me? How sweet. Yourself making a 3 state, cross
        > mountain midnight drive after a full day of hiking and YOU were
        > worried about ME?

        well a little. didnt lose any sleep worying though.

        >I'm touched.

        no comment!:')

        > But how was your drive?

        4 hrs 15 min and we was in the door. piece of cake compared to
        Ricks... and I think john drove even further.

        We heard of I 75 south closing down just as we went through
        Chatanooga. We saw blew lights come on and were stopped and were
        detoured off the interstate at a bridge. Only us and about 5
        vehicles made it throung the red light at the bottom of the off ramp
        before the influx of traffic shut down the south lane basically. We
        heard on the radio that a pedestrian was killed on the hy. On that
        bridge/overpass I imagine. Im just glad we didnt arrive about 30
        sec sooner and either hit the pedestrian or see it happen or see the
        aftermath.

        anyways glad you hammock stand held up during the night.

        Coy Boy