RE: [Hammock Camping] going lt....

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004

      I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I always do. It works.

      Marsanne

      Thanks David and Chet

      I have the UL asym HH so will try first without treatment and see how the mites do.

      Randy

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
        Quoting Susan Turner <hammockhanger@...>:

        > The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
        > much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
        > intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
        > camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
        > Sue/HH

        It may be more complicated than that, like having two boyfriends. Perhaps you
        should be careful one does not dump you.

        Rick
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
          Quoting firefly <firefly@...>:

          > I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the
          > bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I
          > always do. It works.

          ###
          Also works to have a layer of foam in the hammock.

          Rick
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
            I bought a Byer Moskito Traveller hammock this past Fall--I liked the
            idea of the mosquito netting already attached. When I got the
            hammock, I immediately noticed the bottom was not even close to being
            as thick as the bottom of my Clark (no bites through the Clark since
            I got it a few years back). So I contacted the Byer folks noting the
            thickness of the hammock and asked if a pad would be a smart
            defense. Their reply was "yes." Since one of the reasons I got that
            particular hammock was for light duty use and weight reduction (read
            don't want no stinkin' pad) the idea of a repellant on the fabric
            itself sounds like a fantastic idea to me.