Re: [Hammock Camping] going lt....

  • Susan Turner
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31 10:31 AM
      The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
      much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
      intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
      camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
      Sue/HH

      > Why did you switch, just out of curiosity?
      > I think both hammocks are great, for different uses. Speer easier
      > insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection,
      better for
      > warm weather and where you need bombproof skeeter protection.
      > Marsanne
      >

      > I am heading out to do four days in the Ocala National Forest. I'm
      > bring my new Speers hammock w/PeaPod. I have an small ltwt fleece
      > blanket as well. A new Prolite Thermarest, my fleece pants and
      > shirt. The weatherman say in the 70's during the day and mid 40's
      > during the night. Hoping I'll be warm enough. My pack with
      > everything but water is 17 pounds. Figure in 4-5 pounds of
      water...
      > the lightest I have ever been starting out. (Actual lightest was
      > hiking into a trail town void of any food or water...) I have been
      > a straight Hennessy user for years and really feel like I'm being
      > disloyal to a hammock that has served me well. When I removed it
      > from the pack and put in the Speers, I think I heard it cry... How
      > can a hiker get so attached to an animate objects!! ;D Tell ya how
      > it went upon my return. Sue/Hammock Hanger
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31 10:32 AM

        I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I always do. It works.

        Marsanne

        Thanks David and Chet

        I have the UL asym HH so will try first without treatment and see how the mites do.

        Randy

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31 10:34 AM
          That's what I thought. Let me know how it goes.
          Marsanne

        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31 10:45 AM
            Quoting Susan Turner <hammockhanger@...>:

            > The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
            > much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
            > intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
            > camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
            > Sue/HH

            It may be more complicated than that, like having two boyfriends. Perhaps you
            should be careful one does not dump you.

            Rick
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 31 10:47 AM
              Quoting firefly <firefly@...>:

              > I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the
              > bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I
              > always do. It works.

              ###
              Also works to have a layer of foam in the hammock.

              Rick
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31 2:48 PM
                I bought a Byer Moskito Traveller hammock this past Fall--I liked the
                idea of the mosquito netting already attached. When I got the
                hammock, I immediately noticed the bottom was not even close to being
                as thick as the bottom of my Clark (no bites through the Clark since
                I got it a few years back). So I contacted the Byer folks noting the
                thickness of the hammock and asked if a pad would be a smart
                defense. Their reply was "yes." Since one of the reasons I got that
                particular hammock was for light duty use and weight reduction (read
                don't want no stinkin' pad) the idea of a repellant on the fabric
                itself sounds like a fantastic idea to me.