Re: [Hammock Camping] going lt....

  • Randy Saylor
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
      Thanks David and Chet
      I have the UL asym HH so will try first without treatment and see how the mites do.
      Randy
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
        The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
        much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
        intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
        camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
        Sue/HH

        > Why did you switch, just out of curiosity?
        > I think both hammocks are great, for different uses. Speer easier
        > insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection,
        better for
        > warm weather and where you need bombproof skeeter protection.
        > Marsanne
        >

        > I am heading out to do four days in the Ocala National Forest. I'm
        > bring my new Speers hammock w/PeaPod. I have an small ltwt fleece
        > blanket as well. A new Prolite Thermarest, my fleece pants and
        > shirt. The weatherman say in the 70's during the day and mid 40's
        > during the night. Hoping I'll be warm enough. My pack with
        > everything but water is 17 pounds. Figure in 4-5 pounds of
        water...
        > the lightest I have ever been starting out. (Actual lightest was
        > hiking into a trail town void of any food or water...) I have been
        > a straight Hennessy user for years and really feel like I'm being
        > disloyal to a hammock that has served me well. When I removed it
        > from the pack and put in the Speers, I think I heard it cry... How
        > can a hiker get so attached to an animate objects!! ;D Tell ya how
        > it went upon my return. Sue/Hammock Hanger
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004

          I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I always do. It works.

          Marsanne

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
            That's what I thought. Let me know how it goes.
            Marsanne

          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
              Quoting Susan Turner <hammockhanger@...>:

              > The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
              > much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
              > intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
              > camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
              > Sue/HH

              It may be more complicated than that, like having two boyfriends. Perhaps you
              should be careful one does not dump you.

              Rick
            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                Quoting firefly <firefly@...>:

                > I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the
                > bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I
                > always do. It works.

                ###
                Also works to have a layer of foam in the hammock.

                Rick
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                  I bought a Byer Moskito Traveller hammock this past Fall--I liked the
                  idea of the mosquito netting already attached. When I got the
                  hammock, I immediately noticed the bottom was not even close to being
                  as thick as the bottom of my Clark (no bites through the Clark since
                  I got it a few years back). So I contacted the Byer folks noting the
                  thickness of the hammock and asked if a pad would be a smart
                  defense. Their reply was "yes." Since one of the reasons I got that
                  particular hammock was for light duty use and weight reduction (read
                  don't want no stinkin' pad) the idea of a repellant on the fabric
                  itself sounds like a fantastic idea to me.