Re: going lt....

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hammock Hanger,

      I was shocked when I heard you mention 'your Speer Hammock'! Are you
      feeling okay? Have a great hike.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Turner"
      <hammockhanger@c...> wrote:
      > I am heading out to do four days in the Ocala National Forest. I'm
      > bring my new Speers hammock w/PeaPod. I have an small ltwt fleece
      > blanket as well. A new Prolite Thermarest, my fleece pants and
      > shirt. The weatherman say in the 70's during the day and mid 40's
      > during the night. Hoping I'll be warm enough. My pack with
      > everything but water is 17 pounds. Figure in 4-5 pounds of
      water...
      > the lightest I have ever been starting out. (Actual lightest was
      > hiking into a trail town void of any food or water...) I have been
      > a straight Hennessy user for years and really feel like I'm being
      > disloyal to a hammock that has served me well. When I removed it
      > from the pack and put in the Speers, I think I heard it cry... How
      > can a hiker get so attached to an animate objects!! ;D Tell ya how
      > it went upon my return. Sue/Hammock Hanger
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
        Why did you switch, just out of curiosity?
        I think both hammocks are great, for different uses. Speer easier to
        insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection, better for
        warm weather and where you need bombproof skeeter protection.
        Marsanne

        I am heading out to do four days in the Ocala National Forest. I'm
        bring my new Speers hammock w/PeaPod. I have an small ltwt fleece
        blanket as well. A new Prolite Thermarest, my fleece pants and
        shirt. The weatherman say in the 70's during the day and mid 40's
        during the night. Hoping I'll be warm enough. My pack with
        everything but water is 17 pounds. Figure in 4-5 pounds of water...
        the lightest I have ever been starting out. (Actual lightest was
        hiking into a trail town void of any food or water...) I have been
        a straight Hennessy user for years and really feel like I'm being
        disloyal to a hammock that has served me well. When I removed it
        from the pack and put in the Speers, I think I heard it cry... How
        can a hiker get so attached to an animate objects!! ;D Tell ya how
        it went upon my return. Sue/Hammock Hanger

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
          Marsanne,
          I have both, and would have to say the Speer is just as bugproof as the HH.
          Chet

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
            >insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection,
            better for
            I just bought a HH and have not used it yet. WRT skeeter protection. Do the little mites bite right through silnilyon?

          • Chet Clocksin
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
              Randy,
              I have always treated the body of my hammocks with Permethrin, and have never been bitten through the hammock, even in some serious swarms. Without Permethrin treatment, I can't say for sure, but it may depend on which model of HH you buy. I would think think the lighter weight models, which use a material of tighter weave, would be better than some of the low end models. I personally have an HH Expedition 2.5, which is a low end model, and have never been bitten, but as I said, I treat the hammock body (and the bugnet).

              Chet
              >insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection, better for
              I just bought a HH and have not used it yet. WRT skeeter protection. Do the little mites bite right through silnilyon?

            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                Randy:

                I doubt they'd bite through silnylon, but that's a moot point, as you're not lying against silnylon. As to the ripstop used for the bottom of the HH, I've found that they can bite through the material used for the Expedition models, but not through the Ultralight Backpacker models.

                I treat my Expedition models with permethryn.

                Bear

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                  Thanks David and Chet
                  I have the UL asym HH so will try first without treatment and see how the mites do.
                  Randy
                  I doubt they'd bite through silnylon, but that's a moot point, as you're not lying against silnylon. As to the ripstop used for the bottom of the HH, I've found that they can bite through the material used for the Expedition models, but not through the Ultralight Backpacker models.

                  I treat my Expedition models with permethryn.

                  Bear

                  >insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection, better for
                  I just bought a HH and have not used it yet. WRT skeeter protection. Do the little mites bite right through silnilyon?

                • Susan Turner
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                    The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
                    much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
                    intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
                    camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
                    Sue/HH

                    > Why did you switch, just out of curiosity?
                    > I think both hammocks are great, for different uses. Speer easier
                    > insulate, better for cold weather, HH better skeeter protection,
                    better for
                    > warm weather and where you need bombproof skeeter protection.
                    > Marsanne
                    >

                    > I am heading out to do four days in the Ocala National Forest. I'm
                    > bring my new Speers hammock w/PeaPod. I have an small ltwt fleece
                    > blanket as well. A new Prolite Thermarest, my fleece pants and
                    > shirt. The weatherman say in the 70's during the day and mid 40's
                    > during the night. Hoping I'll be warm enough. My pack with
                    > everything but water is 17 pounds. Figure in 4-5 pounds of
                    water...
                    > the lightest I have ever been starting out. (Actual lightest was
                    > hiking into a trail town void of any food or water...) I have been
                    > a straight Hennessy user for years and really feel like I'm being
                    > disloyal to a hammock that has served me well. When I removed it
                    > from the pack and put in the Speers, I think I heard it cry... How
                    > can a hiker get so attached to an animate objects!! ;D Tell ya how
                    > it went upon my return. Sue/Hammock Hanger
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • firefly
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004

                      I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I always do. It works.

                      Marsanne

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                        That's what I thought. Let me know how it goes.
                        Marsanne

                      • ra1@imrisk.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                          Quoting Susan Turner <hammockhanger@...>:

                          > The switch was basically for the cold weather. I like my HH so
                          > much... I do not feel confined in it at all. But I was just
                          > intrigued by the peapod and am going to try it for cold weather
                          > camping. I still love my HH. Guess, it's like having two kids...
                          > Sue/HH

                          It may be more complicated than that, like having two boyfriends. Perhaps you
                          should be careful one does not dump you.

                          Rick
                        • ra1@imrisk.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                            Quoting firefly <firefly@...>:

                            > I have heard several horror stories about people getting bitten through the
                            > bottom of nylon hammocks. I would not risk it, I would use the P stuff. I
                            > always do. It works.

                            ###
                            Also works to have a layer of foam in the hammock.

                            Rick
                          • Dan
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                              I bought a Byer Moskito Traveller hammock this past Fall--I liked the
                              idea of the mosquito netting already attached. When I got the
                              hammock, I immediately noticed the bottom was not even close to being
                              as thick as the bottom of my Clark (no bites through the Clark since
                              I got it a few years back). So I contacted the Byer folks noting the
                              thickness of the hammock and asked if a pad would be a smart
                              defense. Their reply was "yes." Since one of the reasons I got that
                              particular hammock was for light duty use and weight reduction (read
                              don't want no stinkin' pad) the idea of a repellant on the fabric
                              itself sounds like a fantastic idea to me.