a diagonal measurement

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2004
      Does 10.7' sound about right for the diagonal of something that's
      5x9.5'?

      I'm not very good at math and was trying to figure out what the
      Dancing Light gear tarp/poncho would be if set up on the diagonal
      over my HH.

      Thanks
      jamie in az
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2004
        5 squared is 25
        9.5 squared is 90.25
        add them to get 115.25
        Take square root to get 10.7 something
        Looks like you are right on. :]

        Ralph

        > Does 10.7' sound about right for the diagonal of something that's
        > 5x9.5'?
        >
        > I'm not very good at math and was trying to figure out what the
        > Dancing Light gear tarp/poncho would be if set up on the diagonal
        > over my HH.
        >
        > Thanks
        > jamie in az
      • SF Nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
          You got it. Sounds like you already know it, but you can get the exact
          diagonal by calculating the square root of the sum of the square of
          both sides (which comes out to 10.735 in this case).

          On Mar 30, 2004, at 8:40 PM, chcoa wrote:

          > Does 10.7' sound about right for the diagonal of something that's
          > 5x9.5'?
          >
          > I'm not very good at math and was trying to figure out what the
          > Dancing Light gear tarp/poncho would be if set up on the diagonal
          > over my HH.
        • Eric Marcano
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
            I've used the Equinox Poncho Tarp with Extension over a HH with good
            results. I'm getting a HH Cat Tarp because I've come to realize, for
            my particular taste, that a poncho on a diagonal doesn't create
            much "livable" space underneath in inclement weather. The weight
            savings is great, though! I posted pics under "HH with Poncho Tarp."

            Eric
            Woodstock, GA

            > Does 10.7' sound about right for the diagonal of something that's
            > 5x9.5'?
            >
            > I'm not very good at math and was trying to figure out what the
            > Dancing Light gear tarp/poncho would be if set up on the diagonal
            > over my HH.
            >
            > Thanks
            > jamie in az
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
              Eric what are the dimentions of the Equinox Poncho tarp?

              jamie in az

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Marcano"
              <ericmarcano@y...> wrote:
              > I've used the Equinox Poncho Tarp with Extension over a HH with
              good
              > results. I'm getting a HH Cat Tarp because I've come to realize,
              for
              > my particular taste, that a poncho on a diagonal doesn't create
              > much "livable" space underneath in inclement weather. The weight
              > savings is great, though! I posted pics under "HH with Poncho
              Tarp."

              > Eric
              > Woodstock, GA

            • Eric Marcano
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
                58" x 114"
                127.9" diagonal

                After I get the MacCat Tarp, I think I'll try using the poncho as a
                GI in cold weather.

                Eric