photos from trip

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2004
      I left my camera in my pack (which was in the truck most of the
      time) at the SEHHA gathering so I have no group photos. I did snap
      a few while Cody and I were hiking and at camp the next morning. If
      interested they are at Coy Boy's alblum. I deleted the full size
      versions. The ones of the overlook were very good at full size but
      take up way too much room. Enjoy

      Coy Boy
      PS I ment to ask, How did Zuse make it in his hammock. I was
      worried about him:') Did anybody break thier neck in the tangle of
      fly lines trying to get up in the middle of the night. It was like
      a maze
    • seuss910
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2004
        Worried about me? How sweet. Yourself making a 3 state, cross
        mountain midnight drive after a full day of hiking and YOU were
        worried about ME? I'm touched. All I did was sleep the sleep of the
        just. Nothing - neither pole, nor human, nor hammock - came crashing
        down in the night and if anyone made a moonlit nature call I'm
        guessing they did it on the other side of the tanglefoot trap.

        For those wondering what in blazes I'm talking about, I intended to
        use my brand new and dirt cheap hammock stand at the hangout - which
        had been extensively tested exactly once in the comforts of my
        backyard. I've posted some pictures in the Photo section of how it
        looks when it works.

        The stand cost less than $10 to assemble and consists of 2 2x3s
        (about $1.50 each at Lowe's) 4 aluminum doggie tie-out stakes ($1
        each at the Dollar Tree) and various lengths of rope. The 2x3s were
        cut to 6 1/2 foot lengths so they could fit neatly in the back of a
        Mazda Protege.

        The stand works fine in the back yard and would probably work fine
        anywhere you (or "one" as Rick may prefer) could set it up in broad,
        flat, deep suburban yard. If you ever had need to set up a hammock
        on the fifty yard line of a football field this would work fine
        unless it was astroturf. Unfortunately, the campsite at Rainbow
        Springs more closely resembled astroturf than manicured lawn. The
        doggie stakes went down through about one inch of sandy topsoil and
        three or four inches of loose aggregate before hitting solid rock.
        Not a good hold. Not even an OK hold. Eventually, by using one tree
        at the edge of the site and tying off the other pole to an exposed
        root and using several half-assed stake placements - well, it wasn't
        pretty but it held and nothing woke me but the occasional sounds of
        hoot owls and powertools. And even they couldn't wake me for long
        enough to worry about my shaky hang.

        But how was your drive?

        . . .
        > PS I ment to ask, How did Zuse make it in his hammock. I was
        > worried about him:') Did anybody break thier neck in the tangle of
        > fly lines trying to get up in the middle of the night. It was like
        > a maze
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
          > Worried about me? How sweet. Yourself making a 3 state, cross
          > mountain midnight drive after a full day of hiking and YOU were
          > worried about ME?

          well a little. didnt lose any sleep worying though.

          >I'm touched.

          no comment!:')

          > But how was your drive?

          4 hrs 15 min and we was in the door. piece of cake compared to
          Ricks... and I think john drove even further.

          We heard of I 75 south closing down just as we went through
          Chatanooga. We saw blew lights come on and were stopped and were
          detoured off the interstate at a bridge. Only us and about 5
          vehicles made it throung the red light at the bottom of the off ramp
          before the influx of traffic shut down the south lane basically. We
          heard on the radio that a pedestrian was killed on the hy. On that
          bridge/overpass I imagine. Im just glad we didnt arrive about 30
          sec sooner and either hit the pedestrian or see it happen or see the
          aftermath.

          anyways glad you hammock stand held up during the night.

          Coy Boy