Re: [Hammock Camping] Warmth: Foam Pad vs. Down/Primaloft

  • amy
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30 3:11 PM
      On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 06:05 PM, chcoa wrote:

      > I have spent the winter reading all the emails on this subject in
      > eager anticipation for my own trials next winter when I'm not prego.
      > In addition to the benefit Bear mentioned I also think an underquilt
      > or peapod system is nice because you could always use either as a
      > around the camp blanket. A pad on the other hand is nice if you need
      > to sit on the ground (although with a hammock, why?) or if you have
      > to sleep on the ground. My conclusion so far is to own and know what
      > temps you can get to with both then use whatever system will work for
      > the trail you are going to be on. I like flexibility. :)

      Last year I had several nights where I couldn't set up my hammock. Once
      was at Partnership shelter. I wanted the takeout food, and they don't
      allow
      tenting or hammocking, so.. :)

      Another time was in a rhododendron hell. I searched quite a while
      trying
      to find something to tie up to and ended up sleeping in the shelter. On
      my lousy thin Z-rest. Nights like that make me wish I carried a
      thermarest.

      -amy
    • Chuck Haak
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30 4:46 PM

        Next thing you know Shane is going to chip in about hammocking 'au
        natuale'!

        I’ve been lurking for a while but had to join in at this point. I’ve tried the ‘au natural’ approach, and temperatures permitting, it just doesn’t get any better. My homemade supplex ‘Speer’ is very comfortable against the skin and the lounging is idea.

        Pbmoo4