Travel Pod Musings

  • matthulbert
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2004
      I have a couple questions about the travelpod. I don't know if anyone
      but Risk has made one, but I've been spending too much time thinking
      about it and am looking for guesses, informed opinions, and feedback.
      Rick's posts are awesome, but I need more input!

      1. Does it really need the gusset in the bottom? I don't see me
      putting that much stuff in it. Think I can get away with not doing
      that and still having room for a couple inches of stuffing (like a
      quilt or maybe clothes or leaves) between the 'Pod and the hammock bottom?

      2. How much warmth does it provide? I'm in the NW and it seems that
      nights in the mountains rarely gets above 40. It seems that 20-40 is
      the norm (I'm including spring and fall in this average). If I make a
      1.5" primaloft quilt and stick it inside the 'Pod, but below the
      hammock, can I leave the foam pad at home? I'd be using a 25* sleeping
      bag/quilt (my next project).

      3. I've been thinking about making a psuedo peapod, but then think
      that a primaloft (or down) quilt that *could* be put in the travelpod
      may be more versatile. That way I could bring the 'Pod but not the
      quilt when it's warmer (for here) and leave the quilt at home. Plus
      the quilt would be smaller than insulating the whole thing (I'd make
      it 60" x 36" or so or buy one of Ed's quilts) so I'd save weight.

      4. It doesn't seem like I'd need a foam pad, a underquilt, and a
      travel pod unless it was under 20*. Does that seem right?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2004
        matthulbert wrote:

        >I have a couple questions about the travelpod. I don't know if anyone
        >but Risk has made one, but I've been spending too much time thinking
        >about it and am looking for guesses, informed opinions, and feedback.
        >Rick's posts are awesome, but I need more input!
        >
        >1. Does it really need the gusset in the bottom? I don't see me
        >putting that much stuff in it. Think I can get away with not doing
        >that and still having room for a couple inches of stuffing (like a
        >quilt or maybe clothes or leaves) between the 'Pod and the hammock bottom?

        At the hammock campout over the weekend I pointedly took a look at the
        free space between the bottom of the travel pod and my hammock. It was
        about two inches. That was with nothing in the TravelPod. The reason I
        put the insert in was because I felt so much like I was in a mummy sack
        without the extra hip and shoulder room. I am 6 ft and weigh 195
        pounds. My chest is about 44. If one were much smaller than this,
        perhaps the insert would not be necessary.