Ed:Knots?

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
      Ed, I need to talk to you about your hammock knots. I made the pipe stand
      over the weekend and LOVE it. I cannot imagine how I will ever get it apart,
      because I got the back fence hunk to help me with the ridge pole. HINT:
      Having a vice really helps. I didn't have to get help until the very end.

      Now I want to take the REI Sololite tent that I broke and never use anyway
      and turn into a Speer hammock. I read the instructions in your book for
      making the knots. When you attach the strap, what keeps the force of the
      weight from wearing through the fabric? When I hung my bear bag on the AT
      and wrapped rope around the top of the bag, about an inch below the
      drawstring, I noticed after a few days the rope had worn a tiny hole in the
      fabric. This is the part where I could have used bigger pictures, because it
      is a critical part of the setup. After reading the knots section in your
      book, I am worried about my Hammock Bliss, but it is new so I don't think
      the threads are going to break on me any time soon. I also want to make a
      Speer for next winter. I am thinking about cutting up an old-ish REI
      Sololite tent that I broke and using that. This is a mesh tent with a
      bathtub floor and separate rain fly. Standard nylon tent material. Would
      that work? I have found that when you go to fabric stores and ask questions
      like "tensile strength" and specific questions about the fabric construction
      you get blank stares from the sales people.

      Thanks!
      Marsanne
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
        Glad you like the pipe stand Marsanne. Your question about chaffing at the
        hammock knots is a good one. I've never seen any problems with the 1" wide
        webbing straps we use--but have seen problems with round ropes or strings.
        Our webbing is NOT stitched to the hammock fabric, but is stitched to itself
        to make a 6" loop--then the webbing in the loop is stitched with 6 evenly
        spaced bar tacks, one as close to the hammock knot as possible. Our sewing
        instructions that come with our make your own hammock kits give better
        details than the book--you can find the sewing instructions FREE online at:
        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SewingTips.htm
        Hope this helps...Ed Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
          Sorry to horn in, but if you don't have anything against ropes, you
          can try what I've been using. Take a look in my photo folder.
          Picture number 6 show an alternate way to deal with the speer knot.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
            I like your way. Now sewing. I don't sew. I always end up dumping my sewing
            projects on my mother..... The rope does not abrade the hammock material?
            What kind of rope are you using? I am wondering if a strap run through there
            might also work, for those of us who like straps..
            Marsanne

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
              The rope has not worn the material in any significant way, and
              besides, it is on the side of the knot away from the body, and which
              is bundled together. In this area a small tear will not grow the way
              it will on the body side of the hammock where it is stretched). The
              main advantage of this method (in picture 6) is that it can be
              easily untied and the body readjusted, which is convenient at first.

              The rope in the picture is nylon which stretches too much. I'm now
              using a braded poly rope with a working strength around 230 lbs. I
              also use a small ridge line (spectra pulse 1/16") to make pitching
              the hammock faster and more repeatable.

              You can definitely run a strap through instead of rope.

              Ray