SEHHA meni-trip rept

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
      What a blast!!! Met several new folks. But, from the start....Cody
      and I arrived at 4PM our time (CST) and talked to Barry who runs the
      Rainbow Springs campground. He advised that a hike of about a mile
      would put us on a ridge with a nice view. We decided to hunt water
      for the night so we hiked 3.1 miles down to a nice creek just off
      Glassmine Trail. I was hoping we might meet Rick and John as they
      were headed back towards Rock Gap where Rick's truck was parked.
      First thing I discovered at camp was that I forgot my alcohol for
      the stove. Luckly I had enough snacks packed and Cody had a MRE
      that heats itself. We got by fine. We built a small fire but I
      just didn't fool with rigging up a rock or sticks to heat water.
      After supper we killed the fire and did a little hike to see if we
      might find Rick and John. We hiked for 1 hour by headlamp for maybe
      2 miles but my knee was hurting, so we decided to head back to
      camp. Slept good most of the night but woke up about 4 very cold.
      I pulled the hood of my Whisp over my face to let my breath warm up
      the inside of the bag a little. That helped a lot. Anyway, after a
      cold breakfast of Little Debbies and water we packed up and headed
      back towards our truck. I stopped at the top of the long hill climb
      to cool off and while I was sitting there on a log two hikers came
      speeding up the trail. We exchanged plesantries and they said well
      have a good hike we'll see you. I had recognized Rick (from
      pictures) and I thought he might recognize me. I was expecting to
      see him and he (and John) had no clue I was even in the state.
      Anyways, he figgured out who I was or I told him (my memorys not
      that good) and we exchanged proper intrductions and hiked on down to
      our trucks. Back at Rainbow springs campground we met Ed and Karen
      and a few other SEHHA like Mark Hooper and Mike (ooops cant remember
      the last name) turns out first either. A few minutes after meeting
      them I forgot their names and on a guess called them Bill and
      Brian. I fianally just decided I'd call them Bark (that's Mark)
      and Bike (that would be Mike), much easier to remember. We went into
      town (Franklin) for a good lunch and returned to the campsite for
      some serious gear demos. Ed's Pea Pods are so well designed for
      hammock use. Rick's Travel Pod set up on one hammock and his warm
      hammock (seperate hammock) are a sight to behold.

      Other hammock hangers drifted in all afternoon. Besides Ed, Karen,
      Rick, John, Mark, and Mike, I got to meet Doug Frost, Carl, and
      Zeus. (Hope I didn't leave anyone out.) Enjoyed the hot dogs,
      tater salad, and especially the cole slaw....Thanks Karen! We sat
      around chewing the fat and enjoying the fellowship. Rick read a
      bedtime story (how sweet), but Cody and I could not stay. We headed
      back toward Alabama around 8 pm. End of Story.

      Coy Boy
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
        I have completed the back yard hammock stand, with the pipe. $145 for the
        materials, including one wrench. Yikes! I am going to use my Hammock Bliss
        (parachute fabric) for this stand because it is already really warm here.
        However, I have to figure out how to hang it. Thanks to Ed's book, which is
        wonderful, I have decided to undo the sewn ends and tie the ends, per Ed,
        but I don't have to do that right away. Ed, here is a gentle suggestion:
        When your book is reprinted, PLEASE redo the pictures. Now, this is from my
        viewpoint only, and others may not have this problem, but I find the
        pictures to be universally too small and too dark and therefore not very
        helpful. When one is trying to figure out how to do something critical like
        hang a hammock properly, this is problematic. The book is otherwise
        fantastic.
        Hope y'all are having fun this weekend.
        Marsanne
      • papajohnhikes
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
          Hi Coy and all,

          Just got back home a few hours ago. I am still reeling from the long
          drive and all the hikin' and hangin'! Really enjoyed hiking with
          Risk and also the short day hike with Cody on Saturday. That young
          in is a mountain goat! I was puffing and wheezing and he wasn't even
          breathing hard after the long climb out of Wallace Gap.

          It sure was good to meet everyone there and see some different ideas
          for hammocks and how to hang them. Karen and Ed really put on the
          ritz with plenty of hot dogs, cole slaw and tater salad! Not to
          mention all the chips, cheese and crackers. Someone brought some
          marshmellows and those were roasted over the great fire that Coy had
          built.

          We stayed up quite late and then everyone seemed to want to hit the
          hammocks. It was pretty cool that night, I think Mark said he
          thermometer was reading in the high 30s. I know I was a little
          chilly but not cold in my homemade Speer hammock. Those who had
          PeaPods were toasty warm and quite pleased with the product.

          We got up today to find Risk gone as he had to get back early. The
          rest of us stood around a small campfire to warm up and kill off a
          dozen doughnuts and the rest of the cake. Had to fix a flat on Ed's
          van and then we broke down the hammock stands. I took off about 9 or
          so and headed back to Mobile.

          I sure had a good time and am looking forward to the next event.

          John
          Papa John
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
            Papa John and Coy--we did have fun didn't we? It was great to see and talk
            to so many hammock hangers. Thanks to all who showed up. Our break down
            was:

            9 hammocks (5 Speer/Speer design, 3 Hennessey, 1 original home made)
            7 hammock stands (5 pipe, 1 homemade wood & pipe, 1 homemade wood one-tree
            type)
            9 hammock hangers camped overnight
            2 visiting hammock hangers
            2 visiting wanna be hammock hangers

            People came from NC, SC, GA, AL, OH and TN!

            Thanks for all the "help" with my flat tire...!

            I'll have a more complete report in the April newsletter....Ed Moderator,
            Hammock Camping-L

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
              and there was something for everbody... serious hikers had the
              trail, well several trails to choose from, or... you could just kick
              back and relax and chat with fellow hangers or visit the gear store
              and drool. I just wish it was closer and I didnt have to drive near
              as far as Rick or John.

              My knee was a little stiff from hiking the day before so I was in
              the lazy crowd. I cant keep up with Cody so I dont try. I just
              keep the stove and cook kit (and usually the fuel) with me so he
              will eventually wait on me somewhere.

              The kampfire is the best. I was picking at Rick when I said (how
              sweet) earlier, the selection from A Walk in the Woods episode from
              the Rainbow Springs campground was so funny. The talk around the
              campfire was often over my head but I still laughed at all the jokes
              or nodded my head in seeming agreement sos not to seem to out of
              place or dumb. It was also very hard to listen to 2 (and sometimes
              3) conversations at once. Ed and Rick might be deep in hamockology
              while Bark Bike and Cody were discussing the beach hammocking in SC
              or the B-Ball tourny.

              Ed on that flat... as Cody and I were leaving we noticed Karen at
              the van. I'm not saying she did anything sinister but she looked
              mighty guilty about something.

              Coy Boy

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
                I do have to keep an eye on her all the time--guess I looked away once too
                many times...Ed