Hammock with poncho

  • François Berthelot
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
      Hello! My name's Franc and I just signed-in with the group. I'll leave for
      the PCT next month and will bring my hammock for sure! I plan on using my
      eagle nest hammock with a 5X8 sil-poncho but noticed that most of you use a
      bigger wing...do you think that a poncho would provide enough coverage? I
      survived a few heavy rains with no damage so far but I'm not sure about a
      hurricane-type storm ( you never know!) What do the experts think?

      Thanks!
      -franc
      37 days to go...

      http://fr.ca.search.msn.com/
    • SF Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
        I just hooked up my Integral Designs SilPoncho to my Hennessy
        Backpacker Ultralite A-Sym hammock and was wondering the same thing.

        It looks like it will work just fine - but wondering if anyone else has
        experience with this setup. I like that it makes the hammock tarp do
        double duty as rain gear - saves a bit of weight.

        - Steve

        On Mar 27, 2004, at 1:09 PM, François Berthelot wrote:

        > Hello! My name's Franc and I just signed-in with the group. I'll
        > leave for
        > the PCT next month and will bring my hammock for sure! I plan on
        > using my
        > eagle nest hammock with a 5X8 sil-poncho but noticed that most of you
        > use a
        > bigger wing...do you think that a poncho would provide enough
        > coverage? I
        > survived a few heavy rains with no damage so far but I'm not sure
        > about a
        > hurricane-type storm ( you never know!) What do the experts think?
      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
          Welcome Franc!
          I think the sil-poncho will get you by in moderate conditions, but I sure think you'll get wet if you encounter much windblown rain. Of course, if you are careful about selecting a site to hang your hammock, and if you take some advice from Ed Speer, you can usually hide from the wind. How long is your hammock? An 8 foot tarp seems too short to keep the hammock ends dry. My hammocks are generally 8 feet long, and even with with a cure set in the hammock, I have 7 1/2 feet or so from end to end. For an eight foot hammock you need something closer to 10 feet in length. Just my 2 cents worth!

          Chet

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
            Actually, if you string it corner to corner on the diagonal the
            silponcho is 9' 4", and its other corners match up with the asymmetric
            tie-outs on the Hennessy body.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
              I actually have been considering the purchase of a poncho to use in the same manner, and have been toying with the idea of making my own. I have also considered buying an ultralight backpacker poncho from Campmor and modifying it with some additional pull tabs. Its a nice option because of the extra length. I also just ran across a great looking poncho designed by Brawny Wellman (Dancing light gear), it's 63" x 116", and has some nice features.

              You know, I suppose if you are pitching the poncho diagonally you might have plenty of coverage to keep you dry. I just like the idea od having a little more area to cook under, etc., and the larger ponchos seem like they would be great.

              I'm with you on the dual purpose thing. Makes a lot of sense.

              Chet

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
                Even better - that's 11' on the diagonal...

                On Mar 27, 2004, at 4:39 PM, Chet Clocksin wrote:

                > I actually have been considering the purchase of a poncho to use in
                > the same manner, and have been toying with the idea of making my own.
                > I have also considered buying an ultralight backpacker poncho from
                > Campmor and modifying it with some additional pull tabs. Its a nice
                > option because of the extra length. I also just ran across a great
                > looking poncho designed by Brawny Wellman (Dancing light gear), it's
                > 63" x 116", and has some nice features.

              • firefly
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004

                  MAKE SURE to get very long straps. BIG trees out there in CA.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
                    I also just ran across a great looking poncho designed by Brawny
                    > Wellman (Dancing light gear), it's 63" x 116", and has some nice
                    features.

                    > You know, I suppose if you are pitching the poncho diagonally you
                    might have
                    > plenty of coverage to keep you dry. I just like the idea od having
                    a little
                    > more area to cook under, etc., and the larger ponchos seem like
                    they would
                    > be great.
                    >
                    > I'm with you on the dual purpose thing. Makes a lot of sense.
                    >
                    > Chet

                    Having tied an 8X5 tarp to my hammock to make a test, i think it is
                    too short and narrow for proper covering in a storm. It's alright
                    for ordinary rain, but I would be worried at the first gust of
                    wind. I think the dancing light poncho would be awesome, thanks for
                    pointing it out!! Hope I can get it within a month...

                    -franc