Down Under quilt Production

  • Brian MacMillin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004

      Ok, looks like I’m going to have to make my official statement:

      As some of you know, I am only a sophomore in high school, so I am still a full time student. I have relatively little time for working, as I am currently working on my eagle project, as well as all of my school duties. I have been striving ever since I was 6 to be an engineer, and all that @*&#@ math takes so much time.

      Anyway, back to under quilts. At this time, I may start a prototype model if I have some free time. I am very busy with my tarp orders. I realize that there may be a much bigger market for under quilts. But currently I don’t need\want a bigger market. I could advertise on TLB forums. I could purchase other advertising. But I cannot handle any large influx of orders. I am only one person. I am working an acceptable amount, and am making a name for myself. I have a large number of people interested in under quilts. But even if I did begin manufacturing them, I would presume that I would not be ready for “full scale” production until at least June. I am leaving for a 26 day bike tour of Nova Scotia in July. Maybe I could get under quilts ready come august, and make “a lot” of them, and then sell them when it gets cooler. I have a cheap source of 800fill down (along with 11oz currently), and have a source of other materials. But, I have no experience using down. I know how I should do it, but I have not applied any of my to-be-refined skills in making any down products.

      So, the basic answer is: for the time being, No. I will not be making any under quilts anytime within the next couple of months for sale. I may make one or two as prototypes, but these won’t be for sale as of yet. I will include pictures and theories to how it works, but no sales. My tarp business is keeping me busy for at least the next 2-3 months, and I am not ready do develop any new products as of yet. I am reasonable sure that I will eventually make under quilts for sale, with no ideas as of pricing and weight. I’m sorry for any disappointment this may have caused, but this is how I am going to operate in the next couple months.

      Best Regards,

      Brian MacMillin

      OutdoorEquipmentSupplier

      oes@...

      Wow that was quick! Actually it was to question whether you were going to get into the down underquilt business. It appears some of us were taken by WhiteKnight and if anything you are trustworthy!

      Robert

    • firefly

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
          > You are so cute...

          Now, now, Marsanne... He's still kind of young...

          Shane
        • firefly
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
            That was my point, Coulon. He's 16 years old and he is "making a statement"
            to all of us setting his limits. How precious! For the rest of y'all,
            "coulon" is a Cajun French dismissive slang word meaning, generally, "silly
            thing". Shane and I are both in Louisiana.
            Marsanne

            Now, now, Marsanne... He's still kind of young...

            Shane

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
              What is your project?

              Ralph (a scoutmaster in Pocatello)
              And while I won't go as far as Marsanne, I'm impressed.

              -
              > You are so cute...
              > Marsanne
              >

              > currently working on my eagle project, as well as all of my school
              duties. I

            • Brian MacMillin
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004

                And you said you were an English Major???? :P

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                    > That was my point, Coulon. He's 16 years old and he is "making a
                    statement"
                    > to all of us setting his limits. How precious!

                    I would hope that my son, if I had one, would be so mature. ;)

                    > For the rest of y'all,
                    > "coulon" is a Cajun French dismissive slang word meaning, generally,
                    "silly
                    > thing". Shane and I are both in Louisiana.

                    Makes you wonder about the former President of Jefferson Parish...

                    Shane
                  • upricon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                      Brian,

                      I am currently making an underquilt with a friend of mine who is a
                      professional grader (pattern maker). I will send you gratis the
                      pattern he creates when we are done, which should be within the next
                      3 weeks.

                      Todd Homchick

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>