Pics of my Under/Over quilt and Tyvek Tarp

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2004
      As promised, I have posted the pics for the completed Down
      under/over quilt, on both my Speer style and my HH Exped Asym.

      I also captured pics of the Tyvek "MacCat" style tarp I whipped up
      for this weekends PNWHHA (or whatever...).

      All pics can be found here:

      http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2004
        Sorry if this is a repost, but it seems my original post never
        showed up on the web site:

        As promised, I have captured pics osf my recently completed down
        quilt (underquilt for hammocks or over quilt for other uses).

        I also took pics of the Tyvek MacCat style tarp I made for this
        weekend.

        All pics are at: http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/

        Shane "Mirage"...

        Brian, Still ordering your tarp, not to worry...
      • freak_of_nature_98
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2004
          Mirage,
          I am very impressed with the look of this under/over quilt. I keep
          looking at all of these things that people are making... quilts...
          tarps... stands... and it makes me wish that I would just get the
          heck out of school so that I can make something ($$$$$).

          Have you used this quilt with a HH ultralite backpacker (NOT A-SYM)?
          If you have, I would be interested procuring any helpful tidbits that
          you might be willing to share, ie: instructions, and about how much $
          you invested in this project (if you don't mind other people knowing
          your process, etc.)

          One other question that I had was, how snug are the head and foot end
          to the hammock? In other words, is the underquilt held taught
          against the hammock to prevent wind drafts from robbing the warmth
          from the quilt?

          I really want to order a tarp from Brian (?Brien?) as soon as I have
          the money, I don't even want to attempt making this b/c it looks like
          he has perfected the design and manufacturing process. But I really
          would like to have the joy and sorrow of making my own underquilt.

          Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the length of this one!
          -Patrick
        • Chet Clocksin
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2004
            Shane,

            Very impressive work. Looks your quilt is a winner for any type of hammock.

            Chet

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
              Mirage:

              Will you tell me the dimensions you used for the
              double-bottom hammock and mosquito netting in these
              pictures?

              Thanks!

              Bear

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "freak_of_nature_98"
                <pharper@k...> wrote:
                > Mirage,
                > I am very impressed with the look of this under/over quilt.

                Thanks.

                > Have you used this quilt with a HH ultralite backpacker (NOT A-
                SYM)?

                Sorry, but no. I don't have one, but today I will be packing with
                some other Hammock hangers, so I'll see what they have and I'll be
                bringing the camera.

                > If you have, I would be interested procuring any helpful tidbits
                that
                > you might be willing to share, ie: instructions, and about how
                much $
                > you invested in this project (if you don't mind other people
                knowing
                > your process, etc.)

                Well. I'm afraid I don't keep notes (even though I am a software
                engineer, I am really an artist at heart. I create not invent), but
                I can tell you that I spent only about ~$80 on the down quilt
                project, and a bit less on the Primaloft one. There was a thread
                yesterday on BPL about the markup on gear, and I can see how. My
                ~80 quilt is basically the same thing and the Nanatuk back country
                blanket which sells in theses dimentions and materials fo ~$360!!

                Anyway, no plans, just create as I go. Maybe my wife could help me
                come up with some plans, and when I do a summer weight one, maybe
                I'll keep notes.

                > One other question that I had was, how snug are the head and foot
                end
                > to the hammock? In other words, is the underquilt held taught
                > against the hammock to prevent wind drafts from robbing the warmth
                > from the quilt?

                My first (smaller one) has that problem. I'll report after the
                weekend on how these work. Turns out we might be getting a few
                inches of snow, so I should have good test conditions.

                Both ends are pretty nearly closed when hung on the hammock and the
                only opening is from about your midrift to your head, but it does
                not sag, so I really do not expect any drafts.

                The shell material on both is EPIC, which is supposed to be an
                excellent wind blocker.

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
                  <dchinell@m...> wrote:
                  > Mirage:
                  >
                  > Will you tell me the dimensions you used for the
                  > double-bottom hammock and mosquito netting in these
                  > pictures?

                  Bear,

                  This hammock came direct from Rick (Risk) and his web site. Check
                  it out at http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm or
                  his Hammock Wiki at http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl

                  Quite simply though, its 10 ft (3-1/3 yds) of fabric that was 60"
                  wide. I used the full width, but others prefer it ripped down to 4'
                  (48") width. I plan to, but have yet to try this on for size.

                  Risk is OOP (Out On Patrol) with others going to the Hammock
                  Hanngers coumpout this weekend. Just browse throught his sight, or
                  pick up Ed Speers book, "Hammock Camping", if you don't have it
                  already.

                  Shane "Mirage"...
                • thomaskelsonl
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
                    Yes - very cool. If I understand this item right, another option
                    (not so much sewing!) would be to get an ecotat sleeping bag
                    (lamilite filled - very warm , as I have a Wiggy's bag which uses
                    that). The ecotat bag has a drawstring at head & foot and a zipper
                    (and some velcro patches) along the side.

                    HEre is one for a very cheap price on ebay:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                    ViewItem&item=3668921375&category=36116

                    And here is a page describing the military version (difference only
                    of color, I believe).
                    http://www.geocities.com/ecotat/ecotatLWSBMP.htm

                    Thomas

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
                    <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
                    > Shane,
                    >
                    > Very impressive work. Looks your quilt is a winner for any type of
                    hammock.

                    > Chet

                  • Chet Clocksin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
                      The Ecotat looks similar to the Exped Wallcreeper sleeping bag. I have an Exped Wallcreeper, which is somewhat like the Ecotat, but lighter, larger, and probably warmer (although I am sure the Ecotat is more durable since its built for military use). I have a goosedown model, but they also make a synthetic. I will post some pics real soon that shows the Wallcreeper in use much like Ed's peapod. The Wallcreeper has a full center zip that works from top or bottom, can open fully like a quilt, has a drawstring foot, zippered arm holes, and an awesome hood. It can be worn like a long vest, used as a quilt, used as a conventional sleeping bag, or zipped completely around my hammock. I got a heck of a deal on mine (on closeout at Back Country Gear). Otherwise I would have probably gone for Ed's Peapod, which looks very nice too. I will probably still get one of Ed's Down Quilts, for added flexibility. One of the reasons I built a Speer style hammock is the removeable bugnet, which I like for several reasons, including the fact that you can use a "peapod" style insulator around it. I also have a HH Expedition, which is a great hammock, but since I built my Speer hammock, the HH has become my "loaner".

                      For anyone who likes to tinker with things and has not made their own hammock, I highly recommend it. It's simple, and you can try different sizes and configurations to suit yourself. This list is a great resource, and lots of ideas get bounced around. If you don't think you can build your own, Ed's book will make a believer out of you, as will a visit to Risk's website. I've been having a blast getting my system just right, and after building three hammocks, I'm getting very close to having the perfect shelter. (Ya right, like I'll ever be satisfied!)  And BTW, since I've built one of Ed's hammock stands (which makes a great dog house for me in the garage), I can measure, cut, tinker, and experiment all I want!

                      Chet

                      <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
                      > Shane,
                      >
                      > Very impressive work. Looks your quilt is a winner for any type of
                      hammock.

                      > Chet

                    • dtwadsworth
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 27, 2004
                        Thomas,

                        Pretty amazing coincidence, I just bought that bag from the same
                        seller last week to try as an underquilt. Turns out it's only like
                        an Ecotat bag in form, not in materials, weight, or construction.
                        The seller said I should have known it wasn't an actual Ecotat bag
                        because of the price! I guess that somehow makes the misleading
                        description okay... The bag shipped was different than the ebay
                        picture (which I believe is a Wiggy's made Ecotat) and was made in
                        China for RTC Sports (the ebay seller's company). You can buy it
                        directly at rtcsports.com for $23 although I'd advise against it
                        even at that price!

                        Anyway, I moved on to Plan B and bought a new North Face Nuptse
                        down blanket for ~$39 and will be trying that as an underquilt when
                        it arrives on Monday. It's only 60" x 66" but I'll attach it on the
                        diagonal (should be ~89") to hopefully get enough coverage. It's
                        only 18 oz. so probably not a lot of loft but I'm only looking for a
                        solution good to about 35 - 38F. I'll let the group know how this
                        test goes next week...

                        Regards,
                        David

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "thomaskelsonl"
                        <thomaskelsonl@e...> wrote:
                        > Yes - very cool. If I understand this item right, another option
                        > (not so much sewing!) would be to get an ecotat sleeping bag
                        > (lamilite filled - very warm , as I have a Wiggy's bag which uses
                        > that). The ecotat bag has a drawstring at head & foot and a
                        zipper
                        > (and some velcro patches) along the side.
                        >
                        > HEre is one for a very cheap price on ebay:
                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                        > ViewItem&item=3668921375&category=36116
                        >
                        > And here is a page describing the military version (difference
                        only
                        > of color, I believe).
                        > http://www.geocities.com/ecotat/ecotatLWSBMP.htm
                        >

                        > Thomas
                      • thomaskelsonl
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dtwadsworth"
                          <dwadsworth@m...> wrote:
                          > Thomas,
                          >
                          > Pretty amazing coincidence, I just bought that bag from the same
                          > seller last week to try as an underquilt. Turns out it's only like
                          > an Ecotat bag in form, not in materials, weight, or construction.
                          > The seller said I should have known it wasn't an actual Ecotat bag
                          > because of the price! I guess that somehow makes the misleading
                          > description okay... The bag shipped was different than the ebay
                          > picture (which I believe is a Wiggy's made Ecotat) and was made in
                          > China for RTC Sports (the ebay seller's company). You can buy it
                          > directly at rtcsports.com for $23 although I'd advise against it
                          > even at that price!

                          Yes - Strange - I got both the tent and the bag - they arrived
                          together - the tent/bivy bag is cool, but the bag was not as
                          described and I sent it back and should be getting something that at
                          least looks like the picture!
                          :)
                          As far as the advertising - she advertised it as ecotat, so if when I
                          get it is is not, I will lodge a report. I did not quesiton her use
                          of the term, as the guy who invented the ecotat lives down in that
                          part of the country. OK - so caveat emptor!

                          > Anyway, I moved on to Plan B and bought a new North Face Nuptse
                          > down blanket for ~$39 and will be trying that as an underquilt when
                          > it arrives on Monday. It's only 60" x 66" but I'll attach it on
                          the
                          > diagonal (should be ~89") to hopefully get enough coverage. It's
                          > only 18 oz. so probably not a lot of loft but I'm only looking for
                          > solution good to about 35 - 38F. I'll let the group know how this
                          > test goes next week...
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > David

                          I saw those too - thanks for doing the research and reporting back.

                          Thomas