Hammock Stand Pics

  • chetclock
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004
      Hey gang, I just built a hammock stand using Ed's instructions, and
      uploaded three photos in the Hammock Camping Group Photo Section.
      They are in the folder "Chet's Home Made".

      I only made two modifications to Ed's instructions. I used 6 foot
      uprights instead of 5 foot. I think it will nice to pitch the tarp
      higher than 5 foot sometimes. I also put end caps on the "feet".
      Simple to make, like Ed says, about 15 minutes to assemble.

      Ed, This stand is great! Solid, easy to move around, and will likely
      last forever. I too had tried a stand of the commercial, "green
      tube" variety, and it just wasn't any good for this style hammock.
      Thanks for sharing your design!

      I like Risk's too, but I wanted one that I could leave outside for
      extended periods of time without much worry. This stand ought to
      last forever!

      If anyone wants to see additional photos I can easily take more if
      you can't see enough detail in these.

      Chet
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004
        These are good. Do you have any close-ups? I would love to see all you can
        post, especially the connection points, and lengthwise, if it is not too
        much trouble. The way Risk posted his made it easy for those of us who are,
        uh, "not skilled at this kind of thing", to follow. I like this design
        better, because it requires no carpentry. And, this is a REALLY dumb
        question... and I am asking it because I am thinking of hanging my Hammock
        Bliss from the beams in Mom's living room next week....what knots did you
        use to secure the straps to the stand? Thanks!
        Marsanne

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004
          Chet,

          It's a beaut! I can see all kinds of possiblities for that besides
          hammock hanging. Chin-up bar for the entire family simultaneously.
          Clothes rack. Firewood stand. Gymnasitics. 'Jungle gym' for the
          local squirrels. Plant hanger.

          Great job,
          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chetclock" <chetclock@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hey gang, I just built a hammock stand using Ed's instructions, and
          > uploaded three photos in the Hammock Camping Group Photo Section.
          > They are in the folder "Chet's Home Made".
          >
          > I only made two modifications to Ed's instructions. I used 6 foot
          > uprights instead of 5 foot. I think it will nice to pitch the tarp
          > higher than 5 foot sometimes. I also put end caps on the "feet".
          > Simple to make, like Ed says, about 15 minutes to assemble.
          >
          > Ed, This stand is great! Solid, easy to move around, and will
          likely
          > last forever. I too had tried a stand of the commercial, "green
          > tube" variety, and it just wasn't any good for this style hammock.
          > Thanks for sharing your design!
          >
          > I like Risk's too, but I wanted one that I could leave outside for
          > extended periods of time without much worry. This stand ought to
          > last forever!
          >
          > If anyone wants to see additional photos I can easily take more if
          > you can't see enough detail in these.
          >
          > Chet
        • Chet Clocksin
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004
            LOL, first thing I did was a few chin-ups, even before I hung the hammock!

            wrote:
            > Hey gang, I just built a hammock stand using Ed's instructions, and
            > uploaded three photos in the Hammock Camping Group Photo Section.
            > They are in the folder "Chet's Home Made".
            >
            > I only made two modifications to Ed's instructions. I used 6 foot
            > uprights instead of 5 foot. I think it will nice to pitch the tarp
            > higher than 5 foot sometimes. I also put end caps on the "feet".
            > Simple to make, like Ed says, about 15 minutes to assemble.
            >
            > Ed, This stand is great! Solid, easy to move around, and will
            likely
            > last forever. I too had tried a stand of the commercial, "green
            > tube" variety, and it just wasn't any good for this style hammock.
            > Thanks for sharing your design!
            >
            > I like Risk's too, but I wanted one that I could leave outside for
            > extended periods of time without much worry. This stand ought to
            > last forever!
            >
            > If anyone wants to see additional photos I can easily take more if
            > you can't see enough detail in these.
            >
            > Chet

          • Chet Clocksin
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004
              Marsanne,

              I will take some more photos. Since we can't post full size photos in our photo section its impossible to see much detail if I take a picture of the full stand. I'll try to get photos of the connection points, etc. As far as the knots used to secure the hammock, I just use Ed's 4 wrap knot. Very secure, hasn't slipped at all, and very easy to tie and untie.

              Chet

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004

                It’s OK< I misunderstood. I thought you said you had some more photos already taken. I get the idea.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 25, 2004
                  Glad you like the stand Chet. I agree that it is extremely solid and
                  secure--it'll last a life time. I've tried several different home-made
                  varities and settled on the 1.25" pipe stand as the best I could make with
                  the least amount of work. The design will be the feature article in next
                  months Hammock Camping News for those wanting more info....Ed

                • ciyd01
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                    Chet,

                    thanks for the pictures. It all makes perfect sense, now, for this
                    mechanically impaired hammocker.

                    ciyd

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                      Yeah, you need either a vise grip well secured to a table, or two pipe
                      wrenches. Those wrenches are expensive. I ended up getting help from the
                      (unfortunately married) back fence hunk. I printed off the parts list and
                      took it to Lowe's and that made it very easy, except I made mine 6 feet high
                      to keep from bumping my head. I also just spent a delicious hour in my
                      hammock with a rain storm, but more on that later....

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 30, 2004
                        After having successfully made the galvanized steel hammock stand Sunday, I
                        set up my Hammock Bliss parachute cloth hammock yesterday, and the McCat
                        Deluxe tarp. I had fiddled around and had the hammock much lower to the
                        ground than I usually like, about 3 inches butt clearance with me in it. The
                        stand is 6 feet tall. I draped the McCat over it, and made it inside just in
                        time to keep from getting drenched by rain. This was a torrential downpour,
                        with blowing rain. The only dampness I got was a little bit of blow off from
                        the drip from the tarp, but that was only because I was so low. I was
                        looking up at the edges of the tarp. There was no blowing noise, and when
                        there was a lull in the action, I got up and raised the hammock about 6
                        inches. Under these circumstances, I got no moisture at all. I LOVED being
                        under there! It was actually more fun in the rain than without the rain.
                        Brian, I hope you're reading this!
                        Marsanne