Homemade 1.25" Galvanized Pipe Hammock Stand

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
      Here's the parts list for my easy to make homemade hammock pipe
      stand. I'll try and put some pics up tomorrow. A more detailed
      description will be in the April Hammock Camping Newsletter.

      The stand is easy to construct, however it does require two small-
      medium pipe wrenches (which can cost a lot by themselves!). The stand
      is 5' high with a 12' top horizontal ridge pole and two upright legs,
      each with 4-foot long 'feet' perpendicular to the ridge pole. It is
      very strong and sturdy and can be put together or taken apart as
      often as needed with the pipe wrenches. The stand easily allows a
      stand-alone tarp to be positioned over the hammock.

      I buy my pipe and fittings at Lowes home improvement store. The costs
      and Lowes sales # are given below for reference. Note that my locale
      Home Depot had all the parts except the large 10' pipe.

      All pieces are 1.25" galvanized steel pipe or fittings with normal
      water-pipe threads

      Lowes# Cost$
      24003 20.50 A) 10'pipe, one for horizontal ridge pole
      24019 6.64 B) 18" pipe, one to extend horizontal ridge pole
      24076 32.32 C) 5' pipe, 2 for uprights
      24020 32.72 D) 24" pipe, 4 for foot braces
      22000 3.82 E) 90 Elbow, 2 to attach uprights to ridge pole
      22231 7.94 F) Tee Junction, 2 to attach foot braces to uprights
      22431 4.16 G) 1.25" Union, one to attach 18" & 10' pipes

      Total cost: $108.10 plus tax, plus wrenches?

      Part G is the only unusual item. It is a 3-part in-line fitting
      consisting of a large central female nut with male-to-female adapters
      on each side. All three pieces can be tightened independently. The
      union easily allows the 18" and 10' pipes to be attached together to
      create a ridge pole that is about 11.7' long. Note that a regular
      1.25" coupling (Lowes # 22330, $2.10) would also do the job, only
      with a bit more hassel.

      For those attending this weekend's campout at Rainbow Springs
      Campground, I will have two suitable pipe wrenches should you wish to
      bring only the stand pieces--but you will still need wrenches to
      construct the stand at home. Note that the stand will take down into
      the individual parts, the longest being the 10' length of pipe--this
      might be a problem fitting into your car! Also the total weight of
      the stand is unknown, but probably is about 50 lbs.

      Let me know if you need more information...Ed
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
        Ed Speer wrote:

        >Here's the parts list for my easy to make homemade hammock pipe
        >stand. I'll try and put some pics up tomorrow. A more detailed
        >description will be in the April Hammock Camping Newsletter.

        Ed,

        No promises yet, but I will try to put together a $25 hammock stand
        tomorrow AM. If it works well, I will put the pictures up on the web,
        regarding construction, and bring it to the hangout. As I envision it,
        it will be made from a 2x4 base and a lightweight galvanized
        ridgepole. Everything will colapse to no longer than 6 feet. It thus
        should fit into most cars or trunks.

        Buy list:
        - 2x4 10 ft (2) @$3.90 ea
        - 2x4 8 ft (1) @$2.50
        - 10 ft pipe (used as top rail in chain link fence) @$5
        - 2x4 ft plywood, 1/4 in thick $10 ?
        (30) 1.5 in drywall screws, (8) 2.5 in construction screws $??

        Directions:
        Cut each of the 10 ft 2x4s in half. Cut 8 foot 2x4 in half.
        Cut (2) three inch by 24 in strips off end of plywood
        Cut remaining plywood into two 21 in x 24 in squares.
        Mark a diagonal across each square and cut into 4 identical right
        triangle pieces
        Cut ridgepole in half. One end is swagged. Put the two halves
        together. This will allow disassembly of 10 foot ridgepole.
        Make two identical end pieces:
        - 5 ft post, 4 ft base.
        - use two construction screws, through the middle of the base and into
        the end of the vertical post.
        - brace each of the vertical posts with a right triangle of plywood,
        held in place with two screws in the base and two in the post
        - Drill hole in top of end posts, 1.5 in deep, to fit the end of
        galvanized pipe which is a ridgepole
        Make base support:
        - adjust total length of the two remaining 5 foot 2x4 pieces to be 4
        inches longer than the galvanized pole.
        - screw one 3" x 24" plywood piece to end of each remaining 5 ft
        piece of 2x4 so that it extends beyond the end of the 2x4 by 12 in.
        Attach with two drywall screws.
        - Attach the two 5 foot pieces to each other by making a sandwich of
        the 2x4 pieces between the plywood pieces. Attach with 4 more drywall
        screws.
        Attach base support to end pieces with two construction screws at each
        end.
        Support the end pieces with a right triangle between the end piece and
        the base support on each end. Attach each right triangle with 4 screws.
        Slip the galvanized pole into the two holes in the top of the uprights.
        Secure the end of the galvanized pole into the end support with a set
        screw made from drywall screw.
        Sand or tape the joint in the middle of the galvanized pole so it will
        not catch on tarp when used.
        Attach hammock to the two end posts using a regular or modified 4 wrap knot.
        Fly can be attached over or under the ridgepole. Under will lead to
        less wear.

        To take it apart:
        - loosen the set screws, remove the ridgepole, break it down into two pieces
        - remove 4 of the screws holding the right triangle supports between the
        base and the end pieces. (Leave attached to base section pieces.
        - remove the 4 construction screws that attach the base to the end pieces
        - remove the 4 screws that join the two base pieces.

        Tool required to assemble/disassemble: philips head screwdriver

        Note: these are only plans... I have not tested them yet. But I have
        every confidence it will work well.

        Rick
      • John Kennedy
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
          I did a quick drawing showing what I interpret your concept to be.  Look in the photos section for hammock stand.   Let me know if this is right.  If so you may have a problem with the right triangle attaching the cross piece to the uprights as they won't be flush with one another.

          John

> [...]

          screw made from drywall screw.
          Sand or tape the joint in the middle of the galvanized pole so it will
          not catch on tarp when used.
          Attach hammock to the two end posts using a regular or modified 4 wrap knot.
          Fly can be attached over or under the ridgepole.  Under will lead to
          less wear.

          To take it apart:
          - loosen the set screws, remove the ridgepole, break it down into two pieces
          - remove 4 of the screws holding the right triangle supports between the
          base and the end pieces.  (Leave attached to base section pieces.
          - remove the 4 construction screws that attach the base to the end pieces
          - remove the 4 screws that join the two base pieces.

          Tool required to assemble/disassemble:  philips head screwdriver

          Note:  these are only plans...  I have not tested them yet.  But I have

        • Rob Ingersoll
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
            Would this also work to use 2 5-6 foot sections for the horizontal
            ridge pole with the adapter in the middle?

            Would make it a bit more "car portable" for those of us with sedans.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
              Yes, I even suggest it in the upcoming newsletter...Ed Moderator, Hammock
              Camping-L