my thoughts on the underquilt-

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
      I've done a lot of business via the net over the years, usually
      averaging 10k/year on gear/kayaks/etc....and I've havent been ripped
      off yet. Maybe this is the first time but I doubt it. Have any of us
      hear besides a few light CanoeBlue and Risk sewed 180baffles? It is a
      big project and like another poster pointed out this is not a full
      time job for WhiteKnight...have a little faith..like others I have
      waited was seemed an inordinate time for other pieces of gear
      (Kiskil's Mithril for one) and am still waiting for a pair of Stix
      from Bozeman Mtn Works. Things will work out in time or they won't.
      So hang in there Scott, do your thing. In the meantime I'm still
      hiking!
      MedicineMan
    • upricon
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
        That's all fine and dandy. But Scott is hiding. Why? Why can't he
        simply return e-mails. I can tell you that he is not answering his
        phone. I've called over ten times now and I know he is there
        because the outgoing message on his answering machine has changed.
        Wait?, be patient?, for what? The real problem now is that I am
        about to start investing in an alternative. Once I do that I won't
        want Scott's quilt because I can't afford to pay for two. If that
        happens I will very agressivley start pursuing a refund. I wish he
        would just simply respond. That's all I'm asking. I'd be patient
        if I knew what for.

        Todd Homchick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040" <simva4040@y...>
        wrote:
        > I've done a lot of business via the net over the years, usually
        > averaging 10k/year on gear/kayaks/etc....and I've havent been
        ripped
        > off yet. Maybe this is the first time but I doubt it. Have any of
        us
        > hear besides a few light CanoeBlue and Risk sewed 180baffles? It
        is a
        > big project and like another poster pointed out this is not a full
        > time job for WhiteKnight...have a little faith..like others I have
        > waited was seemed an inordinate time for other pieces of gear
        > (Kiskil's Mithril for one) and am still waiting for a pair of Stix
        > from Bozeman Mtn Works. Things will work out in time or they
        won't.
        > So hang in there Scott, do your thing. In the meantime I'm still
        > hiking!
        > MedicineMan
      • upricon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
          Here's an even better idea. Scott at least send me what you have.
          I'll finish it up. If you have the pattern cut and the panels sewn
          up with the dart's that's great just send it as is. I would be
          stisfied with just that.

          Todd Homchick
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
            Generally speaking, I'd prefer to keep off this thread, but...

            wrote:

            > Have any of us
            > hear besides a few light CanoeBlue and Risk sewed 180baffles? It
            is a
            > big project and like another poster pointed out this is not a full
            > time job for WhiteKnight...

            Having just completed my own down underquilt of my own design, I
            would have to echo these remarks.

            I only had to sew 23 baffles on my quilt and that still took me the
            better part of 2 months. Yes I have a full time job, a family,
            chores, a house to keep up and CSI to watch. Guess what, I bet you
            all do too.

            When I had a chance at night, I might get 3-6 baffles sewn, on a
            good night staying up to 1am. I'm by no means an accomplished sewer
            (what is the masculine for seamstress?), so this lends to my
            sluggish pace.

            Add to that the apparent condition of Scotts being deathly sick
            there for a while, and I'd say you have a recipie for delay.

            Oh, and another thing on the baffles. Even though I sewed 23 of
            them, I would NEVER sell what I did to anyone. I made enough
            mistakes, had to rip and resew so many seams, and did not get the
            tension right on enough of the baffles that I could never justify
            selling what I made to someone. I'd hazard a guess that Scott has
            discovered similar problems and is suffering through having to
            resew, or even reorder materials to make up for very easy to make
            mistakes.

            Unfortunately Scott, as much as anyone can come to your defense or
            attack, all of it is speculation until you post or contact the
            buyers directly. Please, for your sake (and the sake our this
            thread being put to rest), make the courteous effort to contact
            those with whom you made a business contract.

            Respectfully, a fellow down baffle sewer,

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • B D
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
              I agree with Todd. I really want to give Scott a benefit of a doubt but I, too have attempted to call leaving messages. For my deposit, I would be satisfied in completing my underquilt if he would send me whatever he has. I've recently asked for my refund and have not received it but I would be willing to take whatever he's done. If he has done more than my deposit's worth, all he has to do is let me know what I owe him.  I'm really getting this sewing down (with a little practice) on my old Brother machine. David

              upricon <upricon@...> wrote:
              Here's an even better idea.  Scott at least send me what you have.
              I'll finish it up.  If you have the pattern cut and the panels sewn
              up with the dart's that's great just send it as is.  I would be
              stisfied with just that.

              Todd Homchick

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
                Well the man did reply to this group and say he was ill. I of course
                have the luxury of not being directly involved in this since I did
                not order a quilt but I can't see raking the guys rep over the coals
                when no one really know forsure what is going on. Sometime shite
                happens and maybe it did for Scott and he has been unable to finish
                his big project and unable to email or return calls, or maybe he's a
                theif. Either way, in time we'll all the know the answer and fussing
                about doesn't make the time go any faster.

                jamie in az

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <upricon@h...> wrote:
                > That's all fine and dandy. But Scott is hiding. Why? Why can't
                he
                > simply return e-mails. I can tell you that he is not answering his
                > phone. I've called over ten times now and I know he is there
                > because the outgoing message on his answering machine has changed.
                > Wait?, be patient?, for what? The real problem now is that I am
                > about to start investing in an alternative. Once I do that I won't
                > want Scott's quilt because I can't afford to pay for two. If that
                > happens I will very agressivley start pursuing a refund. I wish he
                > would just simply respond. That's all I'm asking. I'd be patient
                > if I knew what for.
                >
                > Todd Homchick
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040" <simva4040@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I've done a lot of business via the net over the years, usually
                > > averaging 10k/year on gear/kayaks/etc....and I've havent been
                > ripped
                > > off yet. Maybe this is the first time but I doubt it. Have any of
                > us
                > > hear besides a few light CanoeBlue and Risk sewed 180baffles? It
                > is a
                > > big project and like another poster pointed out this is not a
                full
                > > time job for WhiteKnight...have a little faith..like others I
                have
                > > waited was seemed an inordinate time for other pieces of gear
                > > (Kiskil's Mithril for one) and am still waiting for a pair of
                Stix
                > > from Bozeman Mtn Works. Things will work out in time or they
                > won't.
                > > So hang in there Scott, do your thing. In the meantime I'm still
                > > hiking!
                > > MedicineMan
              • ciyd01
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 24, 2004
                  > > Have any of us
                  > > hear besides a few light CanoeBlue and Risk sewed 180baffles? It
                  > is a
                  > > big project and like another poster pointed out this is not a
                  full
                  > > time job for WhiteKnight...
                  >
                  > Having just completed my own down underquilt of my own design, I
                  > would have to echo these remarks.

                  Having made a few underquilts now, I can also echo that it is a
                  tremendous amount of work. I've heard several people call on Brian,
                  of MacCat tarp fame, to get into the business and I would caution him
                  to make 3 or more of them before even considering doing this for
                  money. A quilted Primaloft underquilt I made took over a month to
                  make working 3 - 4 hours a night and more on the weekends. I'm now
                  starting on a down version, which requires baffles, and I expect it
                  to be at least 2 months. Probably longer since I only have about 10
                  hours a week I can spend on it. Maybe it will be done by then end of
                  May.

                  ciyd
                • Mirage
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 24, 2004
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                    > I'm now
                    > starting on a down version, which requires baffles, and I expect
                    it
                    > to be at least 2 months. Probably longer since I only have about
                    10
                    > hours a week I can spend on it. Maybe it will be done by then end
                    of
                    > May.

                    Just in time for the warm summer season ;)

                    Shane "Mirage"...
                  • ciyd01
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 24, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                      > > I'm now
                      > > starting on a down version, which requires baffles, and I expect
                      > it
                      > > to be at least 2 months. Probably longer since I only have about
                      > 10
                      > > hours a week I can spend on it. Maybe it will be done by then
                      end
                      > of
                      > > May.
                      > >

                      > Just in time for the warm summer season ;)
                      >
                      > Shane "Mirage"...

                      Actually, I'm making this with warm weather in mind. Well, warm for
                      the Pac NW. I'm hoping to use a light down underquilt and leave the
                      foam pad at home. It should pack up smaller although it will be
                      about 5 oz heavier. Just being able to sleep without fighting the
                      slipping pad makes a cushy night's sleep even nicer! We HH have it
                      sooooooo nice compared to ground sleepers :-)

                      Also, the light quilt is a good way to test overall dimensions and
                      stuff so that when I make next year's winter down quilt, I won't have
                      to worry about hypothermia. Of course, it will take all summer to
                      sew the cold weather quilt.

                      ciyd