Re: Re; 1st hammock trip

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2004
      Shane in your pictures of the "flying boat" setup, are you pretty
      much sleeping on the sand? Secondly, with that angle how much higher
      do your feet end up than your head, if at all? Finally, is the white
      pack in your report, homemade? If so, do you have details on your
      page about it?

      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > As for taking the fly off, that was not an option.On and off ice
      pellets
      > and some
      > > liquid came in speratic spurts all night long.Part of my lack of
      sleep was
      > do to fear
      > > of the tarp being ripped from its contact points with the overhead
      > line.When i
      > > looked at the anchor point where the little plastic ring is the
      nylon was
      > ripped
      > > about 1 inch with the ribbon holding things together.
      >
      > Under that circumstance, then, in such high winds with the ice, I'd
      probably
      > have untied the foot end and lowered it on the tree some - about 4'
      off the
      > ground. Then I'd have untied the head end and staked it directly
      down to
      > the ground in the direction of the wind, and staked out
      both 'wings' of the
      > fly directly to the ground as well. You can see a similar setup in
      the
      > fourth and fifth pictures here:
      >
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
      20Explorer%20Deluxe%20A-Sym/Shane%20Steinkamp/Long%20Term%20Report/