RE: Hammock Camping Question

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      Message
      Ed, thanks for your reply.  I am still thinking about the Evazote pad.  I have the 1/4 " padding I ;purchased from Wilderness Fabric and that is what is giving me fits inside the hammock. It will not stay in place and buckles even after I reshape and cut it at different angles in hope that it will lay flat.  It envelopes me like a cocoon, and I like to lay flat on my hammock on my side.
      thanks,  Marge
        That's interesting Marge. I was wondering if others also had problems
        with wide pads in the hammock. How wide is your 1/4" pad? I find 30"
        about the max I can take; although wider is even warmer.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
        wrote:
        > Ed, thanks for your reply. I am still thinking about the Evazote
        pad. I
        > have the 1/4 " padding I ;purchased from Wilderness Fabric and that
        is what
        > is giving me fits inside the hammock. It will not stay in place and
        buckles
        > even after I reshape and cut it at different angles in hope that it
        will lay
        > flat. It envelopes me like a cocoon, and I like to lay flat on my
        hammock
        > on my side.
        > thanks, Marge
      • Marge Prothman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          Ed,
          The pad I purchased from Wilderness Fabrics was Foam Y20 1/4" 2lb Den 40 x
          80.
          I trimmed it down to 35" x 65" left a piece sticking up for the head 8' x
          16" and
          Made a slit up the middle at the bottom about 16". I put this in first, then
          my Windshield
          Reflector and my Mtn Wash. Pad (closed foam).

          The 1/4" pad for me cocooned me too much and would not lay flat, it got
          folds in it.
          Marge

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            Ed and Marge:

            That's an advantage a the Tropical (or other top entry)
            hammock with two layers. I've used a trimmed Oware pad
            that's about 48 inches wide. Goes from edge to edge of my
            hammock, but stays flat and stable. I just can't roll it up
            neatly.

            Bear

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              I've also had the buckle problems Marge referred to. I often solve
              the problem by putting one or more of my pads inside the Pea Pod
              shell so they lie outside the hammock. I favor the comfort of the
              hammock without a pad inside anyway; but it is warmer if the pad is
              inside. So I let the temperature tell me where to put the pad/s. Of
              course folks without the Pea Pod or Bear's 'double bottom' hammock
              can't do this. And such a wide pad is difficult to fold/roll and
              stuff into a pack. So I use wide liner pads for car camping and
              multiple narrow pads for hiking.
              Ed

            • PUDSCRAWLER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
                Ed, I have a question for you.

                When I purchased my hammock (Gathering '04), you mentioned that you had one
                hanging in your bedroom or the like.

                I would like to set mine up that way too, but I need to know how.

                None of my walls (plaster in 125-year-old farm house) are the correct
                distance from one another. In other words, the hammock would have to hang "catty
                corner" from two adjoining walls. I weigh 180. How could I do this in such a
                way that the hammock would not fail?

                Thanks,

                Sawnie Robertson