Re: [Hammock Camping] 1st hammock trip

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2004
      This is one area I have noticed is somewhat of a disadvantage to
      being a hammocker in a world of tenters. Most of the time when
      hiking with a group, I will have to make due because I'm the only
      hammocker and if I want to be any where near the group I'm hiking
      with I have to compromise a bit. They usally pick the site. Don't
      get me wrong, they are accomodating to me a little but often I have
      felt the set up sites were not really ideal for a treehanger. I
      guess i need to convert more of them so we'd all be thinking the same
      way!!!

      jamie in az

      > Rick answered this really well, but I want to emphasize one point a
      little
      > more:
      >
      > If you can at all avoid it - and that includes walking an extra
      mile or two,
      > NEVER setup where you are in the wind stream. Try desperately to
      find a
      > sheltered spot. This is true of tents, tarps, and hammocks.
      Despite having
      > prevailing winds of about 15 knots this weekend on the hilltops, I
      slept in
      > places with zero breeze. If I'd have been in the wind, I'd have
      froze my
      > butt off - and I have a lot of butt.
      >
      > If you're not expecting rain, leave the tarp off.
      >
      > If you're expecting rain, and high wind, tie it ALL THE WAY down.
      It will