Re: RE: Digest Number 447 /probably LNT presentation with canned foods

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      "Dent"-

      If your are responding to my post, perhaps I should have qualified the comments more.  Sure, where one camps would dictate reconsidering food choices.  These guys were talking more in terms of hiking and backpacking in the eastern woodlands and mountails of the USA.  NORMALLY, water is findable.  Deserts are a whole different story.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen
      From: "Dent Alastair" <alastair.dent@...>
      Subject: RE: Digest Number 447

      Soup cans . . .

      You shouldn't scoff so much - if hiking in areas where there is no
      water, is it really sensible to take freeze-dried foods?  I lived in
      Australia most of my life, and a lot of back-country walking is in areas
      where there is no palatable water - so you had to pack all drinking and
      cooking water.  High-energy canned foods were commonly used, partly also
      cause they could be heated over an open fire without having to carry a
      sep stove and pans - and could be eaten cold if fires weren't poss.  The
      cans themselves don't weigh much, particularly if you're not carrying
      fuel, stove, pans.