New poll for hammockcamping

  • hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2004
      hammockcamping group:

      Who makes your hammock?

      o Hennessey
      o Speer
      o Crazy Creek
      o Clark
      o Pre Columbian Myan

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 21 , May 21, 2004
        hammockcamping group:

        where did you all get your hammocks?

        o Online--please type address
        o a store
        o made it at home--please type where you got the instructions

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2005
          hammockcamping group:

          Would you rather:

          o Stealth
          o Solo but at a campsite
          o Group

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • hiking@westernpa.us
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 3, 2005
            Solo, not at a campsite, not stealth.

            > hammockcamping group:
            >
            > Would you rather:
            >
            > o Stealth
            > o Solo but at a campsite
            > o Group

            > web site listed above.
            >
            > Thanks!

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • André Corterier
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
              I wanted to check "stealth" *and* "group". Sure, it requires a small
              group, but those three hammocks in the trees a few week-ends back were
              such a fun experience. Actually, I could have clicked all three - we
              were hanging not too far from a place where one could rent huts in the
              woods (not rented out that night) which had a communal fire place
              between them in an open area. So we could take advantage of an open
              fire *and* stealth camp together a little ways off. Perfect.

              André
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
                I guess I'm confused by the polls.

                Somtimes I camp with big groups, sometimes with really small groups,
                so I never know how to answer.

                Sometimes cooking on a big propane stove, sometimes on a campfire,
                sometimes on a small stove.

                Ralph confused as usual

                On 6/6/05, André Corterier <andre.corterier@...> wrote:
                > I wanted to check "stealth" *and* "group". Sure, it requires a small
                > group, but those three hammocks in the trees a few week-ends back were
                > such a fun experience. Actually, I could have clicked all three - we
                > were hanging not too far from a place where one could rent huts in the
                > woods (not rented out that night) which had a communal fire place
                > between them in an open area. So we could take advantage of an open
                > fire *and* stealth camp together a little ways off. Perfect.
                >
                > André

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
                  I guess I'm confused by the polls.

                  Sometimes I camp with big groups, sometimes with really small groups,
                  so I never know how to answer.

                  Sometimes cooking on a big propane stove, sometimes on a campfire,
                  sometimes on a small stove.

                  Ralph confused but versatile

                  On 6/6/05, André Corterier <andre.corterier@...> wrote:
                  > I wanted to check "stealth" *and* "group". Sure, it requires a small
                  > group, but those three hammocks in the trees a few week-ends back were
                  > such a fun experience. Actually, I could have clicked all three - we
                  > were hanging not too far from a place where one could rent huts in the
                  > woods (not rented out that night) which had a communal fire place
                  > between them in an open area. So we could take advantage of an open
                  > fire *and* stealth camp together a little ways off. Perfect.
                  >
                  > André

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
                    > Ralph confused as usual

                    Yeah, but your spelling was awesome!
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
                      > > Ralph confused as usual
                      >
                      > Yeah, but your spelling was awesome!

                      Gmail spell check. :]

                      I jus don't always hit it.

                      Ralph

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 15, 2005
                        hammockcamping group:

                        what have you owned more of?

                        o hammocks
                        o houses

                        web site listed above.

                        Thanks!
                      • hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 24, 2005
                          hammockcamping group:

                          All things considered . . . weight, price, durability, wind
                          tolerance, flexibility, etc. . . . of the 5 choices below,
                          what do you consider the overall best tarp/fly solution for
                          hammock camping?

                          o The stock fly that comes with the Hennessy Hammock
                          o The Hennessy Hammock "Hex Fly"
                          o Speer 8x10 Rain Canopy
                          o MacCat Tarp, 9x9 cat-cut
                          o Jacks R Better 8x8 SylNyl tarp

                          web site listed above.

                          Thanks!
                        • Dick Matthews
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 24, 2005
                            How about a piece of equipment that is dual purpose?

                            http://shop.store.yahoo.com/campmor/20275.html

                            Dick Matthews

                            hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
                            >hammockcamping group:
                            >
                            >All things considered . . . weight, price, durability, wind
                            >tolerance, flexibility, etc. . . . of the 5 choices below,
                            >what do you consider the overall best tarp/fly solution for
                            >hammock camping?
                            >
                            > o The stock fly that comes with the Hennessy Hammock
                            > o The Hennessy Hammock "Hex Fly"
                            > o Speer 8x10 Rain Canopy
                            > o MacCat Tarp, 9x9 cat-cut
                            > o Jacks R Better 8x8 SylNyl tarp
                            >

                            >To vote, please visit the following web page:
                            >
                            >Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are
                            >not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
                            >web site listed above.
                            >
                            >Thanks!

                          • joe_ulrich
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 24, 2005
                              This is not a condemnation, but most people (me included) when
                              looking to replace their tarp, are looking to go larger. The
                              poncho/tarp is smaller than the stock HH fly.

                              Peace,
                              Joe

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>
                              wrote:
                              > How about a piece of equipment that is dual purpose?
                              >
                              > http://shop.store.yahoo.com/campmor/20275.html
                              >
                              > Dick Matthews
                              >

                              > hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                              >
                              > >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
                              > >hammockcamping group:
                              > >
                              > >All things considered . . . weight, price, durability, wind
                              > >tolerance, flexibility, etc. . . . of the 5 choices below,
                              > >what do you consider the overall best tarp/fly solution for
                              > >hammock camping?
                              > >
                              > > o The stock fly that comes with the Hennessy Hammock
                              > > o The Hennessy Hammock "Hex Fly"
                              > > o Speer 8x10 Rain Canopy
                              > > o MacCat Tarp, 9x9 cat-cut
                              > > o Jacks R Better 8x8 SylNyl tarp
                              > >

                              > >To vote, please visit the following web page:
                              > >
                              > >Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are
                              > >not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
                              > >web site listed above.
                              > >
                              > >Thanks!

                            • Nazdarovye
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 24, 2005
                                Actually, this is exactly what I use. Dual-purpose, and if you use
                                the Campmor "extension" poncho, it's a actually larger than the stock
                                tarp. I've used both.

                                Here's a picture of my Hennessy near Bridalveil Horse Camp at
                                Yosemite last winter with the smaller Integral Designs poncho tarp:

                                http://216.247.83.23/bp/bvc/pages/page_12.html

                                - Steve

                                On Jun 24, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Dick Matthews wrote:

                                > How about a piece of equipment that is dual purpose?
                                >
                                > http://shop.store.yahoo.com/campmor/20275.html
                                >
                                > Dick Matthews

                              • Dick Matthews
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 24, 2005
                                  Steve,

                                  Exactly. The advantage of bottom entry is that you can hang the poncho
                                  low enough that it provides adequate coverage. Plenty of coverage for a
                                  hiking trip.

                                  I puzzles me that Tom does not offer a silnylon poncho option.

                                  I use an 8'X10" tarp for camping trips. It requires more real estate.
                                  Sometimes you need to break off limbs etc. to get a good pitch. 2 extra
                                  tree lines are needed and at least a couple of extra stakes & guylines.
                                  The extra room is nice for camping trips, but I prefer the poncho setup
                                  for hiking trips.

                                  The standard HH fly is a compromise IMHO. It is not dual purpose and is
                                  too heavy for hiking, but is not big enough for camping.

                                  Dick Matthews

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 1, 2007
                                    hammockcamping group:

                                    DO YOU PREFER A SETUP THAT HAS SEVERAL ROPES TO TIE AND TAKES
                                    LONGER TO SET UP BUT PACKS SMALLER
                                    OR
                                    A MORE PRE-ASSEMBLED SET UP THAT PACKS A LIITLE LARGER BUT
                                    SETS UP QUICKER AND EASIER

                                    o LONGER SETUP / PACKS SMALLER
                                    o QUICKER SETUP / PACKS LITTLE BIGGER
                                    o DEPENDS ON WHERE IM GOING CAMPING
                                    o OTHER

                                    web site listed above.

                                    Thanks!
                                  • sebastiantoney
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

                                      > hammockcamping group:
                                      >
                                      > DO YOU PREFER A SETUP THAT HAS SEVERAL ROPES TO TIE AND TAKES
                                      > LONGER TO SET UP BUT PACKS SMALLER
                                      > OR
                                      > A MORE PRE-ASSEMBLED SET UP THAT PACKS A LIITLE LARGER BUT
                                      > SETS UP QUICKER AND EASIER
                                      >
                                      > o LONGER SETUP / PACKS SMALLER
                                      > o QUICKER SETUP / PACKS LITTLE BIGGER
                                      > o DEPENDS ON WHERE IM GOING CAMPING
                                      > o OTHER

                                      > web site listed above.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!

                                      I prefer longer setup because it give me greater adjustability. I'm
                                      using Syderline/webbing setup connected with rings. It pack the same,
                                      but I can store the supports separately from the hammock. But the
                                      adjustability is the main thing. My setup is similar to
                                      this:http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
                                    • Jack Rowe
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
                                        I'm assuming that weights are equal since not mentioned? I thought of those few times I've hiked too long and had to set up in dark...

                                      • hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                                          hammockcamping group:

                                          I am really thinking about setting up a hang/campout at Fort Massac state park In southern,IL
                                          and I am thinking about doing it very soon maybe we can get some folks from mo,ky,tn,il to
                                          come to it kind of a quad state thing.
                                          I have posted this on the other forums as well so it will be open to all that want to come and really
                                          from any state those were just local states.
                                          There is plenty of things to do for the whole family,
                                          The fort, the super man musem,the hollywood musem the quilters musem in paducah ky.
                                          and the like.
                                          I will be having several smokers there plus a couple of turkey deep fryer's there as well.
                                          I will also bringing a couple of guitars as well. so my question is if I put this togeather.
                                          If anyone want to come what dates would work for you.
                                          I am trying to do this before I have to go back to work doing construction work.
                                          right now from both the other forums the Sept date is in the lead.
                                          hope some of you can make it and for those who are new to hammock camping
                                          this might be the time for you all to see some different
                                          setup's.
                                          would like to get some vendors there as well if we could
                                          who know's this might be the new midwest hangout.

                                          Cavediver_2

                                          o Aug 8-10th
                                          o Aug 22-24th
                                          o Sept 12-14th

                                          web site listed above.

                                          Thanks!
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 5, 2008
                                            To far for me, but I hope it's well attended.
                                            It's good to see hammockers getting together in other parts besides the south east!

[...]

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                            mailto:hammockcamping-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                            mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                          • rosalind suit
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 6, 2008
                                              Hey hammock-hanger/Cavediver2

                                              Be sure to check your state park regs about tieing anything to trees....in Florida, State Parks DO NOT allow anything fastened to trees.....posts are put up for clothes lines. Park resident managers check...and give wittten notes/warnings to any violators.( I live in Maryland, but have camped several places in Florida....and had to tent.)

                                              And have you surveyed the proposed park sites to see if there are enough sites with enough trees to accomodate the group you may have? I've been in some parks where the camping sites are nice....but the trees just weren't planted quite right to hang a hammock!! Reasonable spacing is handy.

                                              Just a word in your ear... ;-))

                                              I'm sure the hammockers in the quad-quint state area you're interested in would appreciate your being sure of such things. Hammock Hangs are good times....enjoy!! Good Luck.

                                              Rosie/mdhiker