Underquilts

  • upricon
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 9, 2004
      Hey Scott,

      Todd Homchick here. I am one of the people that ordered an
      underquilt from you. I hope you have recovered from your recent
      illness and are feeling well these days. Funny thing I'm starting
      to get sort of a sick feeling too, although my illness is probably
      caused by anxiousness or nerves. By the way how are the underquilts
      coming along?

      Your's in sickness and health,
      Todd Homchick
    • B D
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 10, 2004
        Todd: I certainly understand if Scott was sick but certainly he can keep those customers, who had an expectation that they would be receiving the underquilts "in about a month" (his words) from December 2003, advised per email of his progress.  He had promised me two times I would be receiving mine but I have yet received any notice whatsoever. I sincerely believe he either was too overwhelmed to produce the product he contracted or he had no intent to produce it. He hasn't responded to any of my inquiries.  I also understand the sympathy from other members who felt that Scott was being gracious in offering the product at the onset. It is very gracious on their part since they are not out any money including the down.  I guess the engineers and experts can afford such luxuries and tolerances. I also believe the closest I will come to the underquilt I've ordered is Scott's  previous email description.  I refurbished my sewing machine and am in the process of making a down sleeping bag/quilt myself.  Thank goodness for warmer weather. David

        upricon <upricon@...> wrote:
        Hey Scott,

        Todd Homchick here.  I am one of the people that ordered an
        underquilt from you.  I hope you have recovered from your recent
        illness and are feeling well these days.  Funny thing I'm starting
        to get sort of a sick feeling too, although my illness is probably
        caused by anxiousness or nerves.  By the way how are the underquilts
        coming along?

        Your's in sickness and health,
        Todd Homchick

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 10, 2004

          I have avoided jumping into this discussion because I am not directly involved. However, I have dealt with small cottage industry gear makers, and I have a real issue with people not communicating. 16-year-old Brian is straightforward, conscientious, skilled, and communicative. I encourage HIM to make the underquilts. (I want one, too!) As smart as he is, he can figure it out.  Another person who is an outstanding communicator is Carol Wellman (Brawny) at Dancing Light Gear.  I think this is just an essential skill, and, barring a family death or other extreme emergency, no excuse not to. A woman on my women’s hiking list just got her custom tent, from a person I won’t name, and she waited TEN MONTHS. She is way more patient than I would ever be. Brian, I hope you have the second check by now. I also hope my PR help and endorsement is useful to you.  You should make a website and put that quote on it, the one I sent with the check, along with the pictures.

          Marsanne

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 10, 2004
            I have a feeling that David is probably right when he says that
            Scott is probably a bit overwhelmed with the project. I don't envy
            his position. I could never do what he is attempting to do which
            was the reason I ordered a quilt from him in the first place. But I
            do agree with Marsanne and wish Scott would face the music and
            explain himself. I completely understand if he bit off more then he
            can chew. I wish he would just contact everyone and explain
            himself. If I need to wait a little longer so be it, let me know.
            If he can't do the job then just simply return the money and chalk
            it up as another lesson learned, just let me know. When you don't
            communicate, people are left to wonder what's going on and usually
            imagine the worse. I still think Scott is going to pull through and
            I am looking forward to receiving my quilt. I just wish I knew
            when!!!!!. Sorry to bore the other group members with this drama

            Todd

            > I have avoided jumping into this discussion because I am not
            directly
            > involved. However, I have dealt with small cottage industry gear
            makers, and
            > I have a real issue with people not communicating. 16-year-old
            Brian is
            > straightforward, conscientious, skilled, and communicative. I
            encourage HIM
            > to make the underquilts. (I want one, too!) As smart as he is, he
            can figure
            > it out. Another person who is an outstanding communicator is
            Carol Wellman
            > (Brawny) at Dancing Light Gear. I think this is just an essential
            skill,
            > and, barring a family death or other extreme emergency, no excuse
            not to. A
            > woman on my women's hiking list just got her custom tent, from a
            person I
            > won't name, and she waited TEN MONTHS. She is way more patient
            than I would
            > ever be. Brian, I hope you have the second check by now. I also
            hope my PR
            > help and endorsement is useful to you. You should make a website
            and put
            > that quote on it, the one I sent with the check, along with the
            pictures.
            > Marsanne
            >
            > Todd: I certainly understand if Scott was sick but certainly he
            can keep
            > those customers, who had an expectation that they would be
            receiving the
            > underquilts "in about a month" (his words) from December 2003,
            advised per
            > email of his progress.
          • jbchiker
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
              I hate to stir things up again, but has ANYONE at all received their
              underquilt from Scott?
              I ordered mine later than the first round, but have heard nothing
              since I ordered. Winter should be over soon (Spring is in two days,
              so no chance to try it out in the cold to see how good it will be.
              Nancy
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                Hi, It is Spring in South Texas and may almost be
                Spring where you are at, but. Sunday River Inn &
                Cross Country Ski Center, Newry, Maine 04261. Current
                weather is 20 degrees, 1" new snow, trail base 10" to
                16", 38km of trails opened with tracks.
                http://www.sundayriverinn.com Picture taken 14
                March 2004 and late Dec. Look at all the nice Hammock
                trees. I have been here a couple times and it is
                really a nice place. I wish I was there now, it is
                only about 2400 miles away. Bill

                PS. Take your mind of the Underquilt, you may never
                see it or get a nice surprise someday.

                --- jbchiker <nafister@...> wrote:
                > I hate to stir things up again, but has ANYONE at
                > all received their
                > underquilt from Scott?
                > I ordered mine later than the first round, but have
                > heard nothing
                > since I ordered. Winter should be over soon (Spring
                > is in two days,
                > so no chance to try it out in the cold to see how
                > good it will be.
                > Nancy

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • firefly
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                  I am ENVIOUS! Great pictures. As for "taking your mind off the underquilt",
                  if I were in a business transaction with somebody who acted that way, I
                  would raise a big stink until I got the product, or my money back.
                  Marsanne

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                    I am pretty sure I am one of the first to order an underquilt and I
                    have not received mine yet. I agree the time for being patient and
                    nice is over. Scott is not responding to either my e-mails or
                    posts. I lost his info because of a computer crash. At one time he
                    sent me his address and telephone number. Does anyone have those?
                    I am a very understanding guy but when I receive no communication
                    and feel I am being lied to I lose all patience. Could someone
                    please post his address and phone number so those that have
                    apparently lost thier money may somehow have a chance
                    of recovering it.

                    Todd Homchick

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jbchiker" <nafister@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > I hate to stir things up again, but has ANYONE at all received
                    their
                    > underquilt from Scott?
                    > I ordered mine later than the first round, but have heard nothing
                    > since I ordered. Winter should be over soon (Spring is in two
                    days,
                    > so no chance to try it out in the cold to see how good it will be.
                    > Nancy
                  • jbchiker
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                      Scott Thacher
                      1215 S. Clinton St.
                      Baltimore, MD 21224

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <upricon@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > I am pretty sure I am one of the first to order an underquilt and
                      > have not received mine yet. I agree the time for being patient
                      and
                      > nice is over. Scott is not responding to either my e-mails or
                      > posts. I lost his info because of a computer crash. At one time
                      he
                      > sent me his address and telephone number. Does anyone have
                      those?
                      > I am a very understanding guy but when I receive no communication
                      > and feel I am being lied to I lose all patience. Could someone
                      > please post his address and phone number so those that have
                      > apparently lost thier money may somehow have a chance
                      > of recovering it.
                      >
                      > Todd Homchick
                      >

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jbchiker" <nafister@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I hate to stir things up again, but has ANYONE at all received
                      > their
                      > > underquilt from Scott?
                      > > I ordered mine later than the first round, but have heard
                      nothing
                      > > since I ordered. Winter should be over soon (Spring is in two
                      > days,
                      > > so no chance to try it out in the cold to see how good it will
                      be.
                      > > Nancy
                    • firefly
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                        Brian, you have not posted in awhile. I am just checking up on you. Are you
                        reading these posts about the underquilts? I really think you should start
                        making them. There's a bigger market for those than for the replacement
                        tarps. I am going camping again this weekend, taking the HH with the McCat
                        Tarp. In about 2 months it will be too hot to camp out here in the
                        summer.... Does anybody have the specifics on how to make the underquilts
                        and are willing to send them to Brian? If enough of us ask him, maybe he
                        will start making them. HE CAN be relied on!
                        Marsanne
                      • Brian MacMillin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                          Marsanne,

                          Thanks for the checkup;) I actually have 9yds of 1.1oz DWR ripstop, 12oz
                          of 800fill down, and about 5 yards of no-see-um (and some thick shock
                          cord and a bunch of other accessories), but am a little shy in starting
                          an under quilt. Getting the fit right would be crucial, and taking that
                          first step and making the first is always the hardest one. It's too cold
                          to go outside and setup my hammock and take accurate measurements with
                          someone in the hammock, and a general plan for sizing would be great! As
                          soon as it gets warmer (we've had snow the past 3 days), I will be out
                          with my friend to get a general fabric patern, and hopefully sew the
                          shell within a week (hopefully!)

                          Best Regards,
                          Brian MacMillin
                          OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                          oes@...

                          Brian, you have not posted in awhile. I am just checking up on you. Are
                          you
                          reading these posts about the underquilts? I really think you should
                          start
                          making them. There's a bigger market for those than for the replacement
                          tarps. I am going camping again this weekend, taking the HH with the
                          McCat
                          Tarp. In about 2 months it will be too hot to camp out here in the
                          summer.... Does anybody have the specifics on how to make the
                          underquilts
                          and are willing to send them to Brian? If enough of us ask him, maybe he
                          will start making them. HE CAN be relied on!
                          Marsanne

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • firefly
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                            I LOVE snow. Tell your parents I am on my way up there to help you, LOL! In
                            about 2 months it will soon be too hot here to camp out at night. Don't be
                            intimidated. We have faith in you, and there is definitely a market for
                            those underquilts. We all have confidence that YOU will deliver. Seriously,
                            I am working towards moving to DC. I may have to help a congressman (or
                            congresswoman) get elected from here in order to go up to DC and have a job,
                            but that is the logical next step for me. I am also looking at the Kerry
                            campaign. I LOVE NYC, have friends there. So, we may get to meet in a year
                            or so. I would love to help you market your stuff, although you are pretty
                            good at it. You just make those prototypes and I will help you with the PR.
                            I totally, totally believe in you. Your work is outstanding, you
                            communicate, and you keep your promises. YOU GO BRIAN! I want you to be a
                            millionaire by the time you are 30!
                            Marsanne

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                              Marsanne,

                              So, being like any politician (or person that works with one), I'm
                              guessing that you want 15% of my million dollars?? :P

                              Im near West Point Military Academy...how about is representing a local
                              politician for my Eagle Court of Honor (which should be in October)? NYC
                              is a fun place, full of interesting events\landmarks. Not quite so sure
                              about living there, WP is close enough for me!

                              Thank you for your support, and Ill hopefully get back to the board
                              within the week with at least a prototype shell..I think I've got a way
                              to attach it to the hammock which is unique (sort of).

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                                Brian - check out whiteblaze.net also. There's a good recent thread
                                there by some other folks who are going to sell an underquilt, along
                                with pictures.

                                (Last I checked whiteblaze may have been having database problems - but
                                check it out once they get it up and running.)

                                - Steve

                                On Mar 18, 2004, at 8:30 PM, Brian MacMillin wrote:

                                > Marsanne,
                                >
                                > So, being like any politician (or person that works with one), I'm
                                > guessing that you want 15% of my million dollars?? :P
                                >
                                > Im near West Point Military Academy...how about is representing a local
                                > politician for my Eagle Court of Honor (which should be in October)?
                                > NYC
                                > is a fun place, full of interesting events\landmarks. Not quite so sure
                                > about living there, WP is close enough for me!
                                >
                                > Thank you for your support, and Ill hopefully get back to the board
                                > within the week with at least a prototype shell..I think I've got a way
                                > to attach it to the hammock which is unique (sort of).
                                >
                                > Best Regards,
                                > Brian MacMillin
                                > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                                > oes@...
                              • Mirage
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Im near West Point Military Academy...
                                  > NYC is a fun place, full of interesting events\landmarks.
                                  > Not quite so sure about living there, WP is close enough for me!

                                  So you're a New Yorker too, huh?

                                  I pretty much grew up in NY, Woodstock and the Catskills to be
                                  exact, 'bout 17 years. I miss the fall, lightning bugs and colorful
                                  summer heat lightning there SOOOO much, but not the black flies, and
                                  summer humidity.

                                  Now I'm in love with Oregon and the PNW.

                                  Shane "Mirage"...

                                  PS: did you get my last email Brian?
                                • Ray Garlington
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 19, 2004
                                    Brian,
                                    I suggest you consider making the GI shell and various insulator
                                    bags to go with it. It fits 'semi permanently' to the Speer-like
                                    hammocks as a second skin and can be rigged for the Hennessey
                                    Hammock with a draw cord. The insulator bags can be simply made &
                                    don't need to be fitted.

                                    It also can be used as a tarp, albeit a small one (~5'x8'). If you
                                    have an interest, email me rgarling at yahoo dot com...........

                                    Ray

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 19, 2004
                                      Not having a clue what you're talking about, I agree with you, Ray. <GG>
                                      Seriously, I played around with a good quality (not flimsy) space blanket,
                                      which I cut to fit the HH. Attaching the side and top was easy, but the
                                      tricky part of the HH is where we enter the HH. I used shock cord so that I,
                                      in effect, push the thing out of the way when entering and exiting. I could
                                      not figure out how to make a drawcord. The space blanky thing is very crude,
                                      but it does fit the bottom and sides of the HH very closely, right up to the
                                      screen. Brian, I will send it to you if you think it will help. I don't
                                      envision using it.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 19, 2004
                                        Another New Yorker, eh? I grew up near Saratoga and Schenectady, played
                                        around in the Adirondacks and Quebec as I was growing up - I miss lots
                                        about it (not that California and the Sierras are so bad, either ;)

                                        - Steve