Re: [Hammock Camping] Risk's Double Bottom Hammock

  • matthulbert
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 9, 2004
      I don't like the taco effect much. So I think I'll trim mine, too. I
      don't care that much about the little bit of weight. But anytime I can
      lose some weight without harm I'll take it.

      I hate fiddling with stuff (apparently an affliction you don't have!).
      So I'd like to keep the bugnet attach/detach as simple as possible.
      That's a nice thing about the Hennesey. But having a bugnet so close
      to my face isn't all that great. It would be nice if it were higher.

      The Hennesey method for attaching the tarp is great, though. Really
      smart setup.

      It would be nice to have that same type of attachment for the bugnet
      (but keep the tarp seperate for all the benefits previously mentioned)
      so it could be put on without fussing with stings or knots.

      You could sew a tube or tunnel on the centerline of the netting and
      run a bungie-type cord down the middle and have hooks on each end.
      Then attach the hooks to hooks attached to the hanging straps. The
      netting would then hang as it does in many of your designs.

      The bugnet could be installed in less than 10 seconds! I think I'll
      have to do that!

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
      > Quoting matthulbert <ms@u...>:
      >
      > > Risk, does the 4ft width change any other characteristics of the
      > > hammock? Does it wrap around you less and lay a little flatter?
      >
      > I started using it because it is lighter. I now love the narrower
      width because
      > I can see out of it while laying down when I want to. The most
      comfortable
      > position is with feet on one side of the midline, and head on the
      other side.
      > If I really move my head far to one side, then the hammock warps in
      such a way
      > that I am looking out of it sideways.
      >
      > However, in general, it lays about the same... just with a little
      less "taco"
      > feeling.
      > >
      > > I was thinking of doing the bugnet old style (speer, with velcro) so I
      > > only have to use it when I need it. My hennessy has the built-in net
      > > and it seems to be nice to have a hammock without one, especially in
      > > colder weather when I don't need it. Do you like the net built-in
      better?

      > I like the built in bug net, but am experimenting with a separate
      bug net. This
      > one is not velcro attached. It hangs from a sewn in grosgrain
      ribbon along the
      > middle of the long length. This ribbon is tied/attached to loops on
      the webbing
      > straps. The net closes on both sides of the hammock by gravity.
      The other way
      > it can be used is to tie the grosgrain to tabs of the tarp. I have
      not tested
      > enough to be a believer in this for the hammock, but it would work
      nicely as a
      > bug net for nights under the tarp, sleeping on grass when the
      hammock was not
      > used.
      > >
      > I don't have pictures of these ideas up yet. I have not done enough
      > experimenting to know if I like it yet.
      >
      > OBTW, if the bug net works well attached to the tarp, then using
      TarpTubes to
      > furl the tarp and bug net would be a great time saver.
      >
      > Y'all always give me so much to think of, to try, and to report on!
      It is
      > wonderful. Thanks for the interest.
      >
      > Rick
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 9, 2004
        My latest hammock is a double bottom 1.1 oz ripstop, similar to Risk's. I have only done a limited amount of testing with it, but It sure seems strong enough. I weigh about 225 lbs., and I have no reservations about its strength. Good luck on the travel pod, seems like a great idea ( risk seems to have a lot of those...great ideas that is).

        Chet
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 9, 2004
          Chet Clocksin wrote:
          My latest hammock is a double bottom 1.1 oz ripstop, similar to Risk's. I have only done a limited amount of testing with it, but It sure seems strong enough. I weigh about 225 lbs., and I have no reservations about its strength. Good luck on the travel pod, seems like a great idea ( risk seems to have a lot of those...great ideas that is).

          Thanks Chet, but you should see the list of my bad ideas--well--less worthy ideas...
          Here are a few:
          - aluminum wood burning stove  (melted)
          - 1.1 oz ripstop gaiters   (fragile)
          -  tyvek gaiters  (ugly)
          -  home-made nylon shorts of 1.1 oz light green ripstop  (semi transparent)
          - bugnet made of chiffon (absorbs water)
          - hammock overbag - no quilt inside (froze my buns off)

          The list goes on...

          Fortunately, I only need to publish the ones that work.

          Risk
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 9, 2004
            Since your failure list looks like my to do list, I'd like to see
            more. Maybe it will save me some time or I can improve them?

            Ralph

            > Chet Clocksin wrote:
            >
            > > My latest hammock is a double bottom 1.1 oz ripstop, similar to
            > > Risk's. I have only done a limited amount of testing with it,
            but It
            > > sure seems strong enough. I weigh about 225 lbs., and I have no
            > > reservations about its strength. Good luck on the travel pod,
            seems
            > > like a great idea ( risk seems to have a lot of those...great
            ideas
            > > that is).
            > >

            > Thanks Chet, but you should see the list of my bad ideas--well--
            less
            > worthy ideas...
            > Here are a few:
            > - aluminum wood burning stove (melted)
            > - 1.1 oz ripstop gaiters (fragile)
            > - tyvek gaiters (ugly)
            > - home-made nylon shorts of 1.1 oz light green ripstop (semi
            transparent)
            > - bugnet made of chiffon (absorbs water)
            > - hammock overbag - no quilt inside (froze my buns off)
            >
            > The list goes on...
            >
            > Fortunately, I only need to publish the ones that work.
            >
            > Risk
          • Debra Weisenstein
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 10, 2004
              I did a bug net similar to what Rick describes. There are a couple
              pictures in the photo section. There is a sew-in gross-grain ribbon
              for a ridgeline. I originally tied the bug net ridgeline to the
              trees, but then found it worked better attached to the hammock webbing
              loops by short elastic cords. I put strips of velcro on the ends to
              seal around the hammock straps and 4 pockets on the bottom edges to
              hold some weights so the netting would hang taught and keep out the
              bugs. I used a 5 foot width of netting. This bug net was never
              really as bug proof as I would have liked. Probably just didn't get a
              good seal around the hammock sides even with the weights added.

              I've got 2 new ideas to try for bug netting. Bought an Adventure 16
              bug bivy, which is meant for sleeping under a tarp or in a lean-to.
              Seems to work in the hammock also, since the frame is quite flexible
              and you lay on a piece of netting near the top to anchor it. My other
              idea is a hammock "shirt" net, which would cover the top 1/3 of the
              hammock and slide up along the ridgeline when getting in and out.
              This would completely enclose the hammock with a drawcord at chest
              level. Maybe it would keep the buzzing bugs further from the bottom
              of the hammock and my ears.

              DebW

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 10, 2004
                Deb,

                Some of the worst 'skitters that I can recall were along the southern
                section of the AT in your home state (no offense intended, Mt
                Greylock is a gem). If your netting can keep them at bay, then it
                would be good enough for me. It is one thing to have netting that
                keeps out the occasional 'skitter, it is another thing to have
                netting that keeps them out when there are hungry swarms. I recall
                using an 8'x10' tarp with a single hanging point mosquitto net.
                Nothing to it when there was just a few 'skitters. But when I was in
                serious 'skitter country it was a little scary. You had to make sure
                every inch of netting was sealed off and that none of it rested
                against your bare skin (it is often hot and you don't want to wear
                warm clothing). And then there was the middle of the night pee
                break... when I turned on my light they were lining the inside of my
                tarp, mostly at the headend where they were getting all worked up
                from my exhaled breath. My stategy then was to crawl in/out the foot
                end and to be quick about it. The point I am trying to make is:
                the 'skitter protection that you use for sleeping had best be very
                good because when there is a squarm of them they will try all night
                long to get at you and if there is a weakness in your scheme, they
                will probably find it and you might not know about it until you wake
                up and notice the bites. Also, it helps to be able to open/close it
                quickly... you can't call time-out and have them wait until you are
                ready. One last comment, you might sleep better if you KNOW they
                can't get to you.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

              • David Chinell
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 10, 2004
                  Youngblood:

                  I'm in Florida. Most of the mosquitoes I encounter, whether
                  few or in swarms, are pretty dull-witted. Those that do make
                  it inside my netting seem to forget all about biting me and
                  get preoccupied with escaping.

                  I hang a big piece of tulle from a ridgeline and clip it
                  shut at both ends. So I have a narrow tent of tulle that
                  reaches from about three feet above me down to the ground.

                  The mosquitoes' sole escape strategy seems to be to fly over
                  the top of obstacles. So they all end up at the very peak of
                  my netting trying, until their eventual doom, to find a way
                  over the top. In the morning I squish them by clapping all
                  along the ridgeline and letting them fall out the bottom.
                  (Yes, yes! I enjoy it, I admit it!)

                  The only real problem I've had with mosquitoes was
                  discovering (the hard way) that my HH ultra light bottom
                  fabric wasn't mosquito-proof.

                  Bear
                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 10, 2004
                    <dweisens@a...> wrote:
                    > I did a bug net similar to what Rick describes.

                    It is absolutely DebW's idea which I described. I am playing with the
                    idea myself now.

                    Rick
                  • Debra Weisenstein
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 10, 2004
                      One flaw in my design was putting the netting pockets for weights in a
                      position where they kept the netting from lying flush against the
                      sides of the hammock when three-dimensional objects were inserted. So
                      either keep the pockets shallow or lengthen the netting on the sides.

                      DebW

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                      > <dweisens@a...> wrote:
                      > > I did a bug net similar to what Rick describes.
                      >
                      > It is absolutely DebW's idea which I described. I am playing with the
                      > idea myself now.
                      >
                      > Rick
                    • quiltpatti
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 16, 2005
                        I liked the looks of the net on this site:

                        http://www.hammockbliss.safeshopper.com//19/cat19.htm?672

                        So I copied it. I sometimes sleep with body parts hanging over the
                        hammock sides and this design gives me more freedom. I used the
                        0.71oz per sq. yd. nanoseeum netting from thruhiker.com:

                        http://www.thru-hiker.com/materialdetail.asp?
                        product_id=MG151&subcat=Ripstop

                        With this light wgt (but pricey) nanoseeum, my net only weighs 5,8
                        oz. I put a zipper in it that I got from Thruhiker also. Mine doesn't
                        have hanging ropes. It hangs from a permanent ridgeline cord in my
                        hammock, and I just tie the open ends of the net closed with the
                        tail end of the ridge cord line. On the very bottom section, I used
                        1.1 oz syl nylon instead of net. It's more durable, snag resistant,
                        and I can stow light wgt items in it while using the hammock. I put
                        a pocket inside on the syl nylon that can also serve as a stuff sack.

                        Patti
                      • bjedge540
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 16, 2005
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quiltpatti" <quiltbinder@s...>
                          wrote:
                          > I liked the looks of the net on this site:
                          >
                          > http://www.hammockbliss.safeshopper.com//19/cat19.htm?672
                          >
                          > So I copied it. I sometimes sleep with body parts hanging over the
                          > hammock sides and this design gives me more freedom. I used the
                          > 0.71oz per sq. yd. nanoseeum netting from thruhiker.com:

                          Patti,

                          Thanks....I saw one like that at the camping store today....It looked
                          good but heavy. Thanks for the light nanoseeum link. That will help
                          things.

                          Barry
                        • rambler4466
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 19, 2005
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bjedge540" <janzenbarry@l...>
                            wrote:

                            > good but heavy. Thanks for the light nanoseeum link. That will help
                            > things.
                            >
                            > Barry

                            Yes. Be sure you use no-seeum netting. Alos, I do not think you need
                            quite so much netting. Note the Speer hammock only has netting to the
                            top edges of the hammock, and other methods drape netting just over
                            the sides, held in place by elastic or shock-coerd ties underneath.
                            Mosquitoes biting through the hammock fabric have not been a problem.

                            http://imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
                          • jwj32542
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 19, 2005