Poly Web

  • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2003
      Anyone know if Quest Outfitting's #2023 1" web is in the 600# or
      greater strength area recommended by Ed Speer for supports?

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2003
        Message
        Rick, I've asked Kay (at Quest) about the strength of this polypropylene webbing--she thought it was about 600 lbs, so it's probably OK.  However, the problem is if she ever switches sources, the new source could be anything from 200-600 lbs--you really need to call Kay to be sure of the strength each time.

        As a better alternative, I'm switching to 1" wide polyester webbing.  It's much stronger (980 lbs) and has almost no stretch.

        I recommend polypropylene webbing in my book because it is readily available in cut lengths from numerous sources like Quest.  However it does have low-memory stretch which disappears after the first setup or two--thus polpypropylene webbing works just fine.  The stronger and less-stretchy nylon webbing, however, has high-memory stretch which does not disappear--thus it is not appropriate for hammock use.

        Polyester webbing is a bit more expensive, but the greater strength and lack of stretch make it more desirable for hammocks.  Unfortunately short cut lengths of polyester webbing are not readily available on the market; however I have managed to purchase a 1,000 yd roll to use in my hammock business.  Delivery is expected next week and I'll sell cut lengths for $0.75/yd.  I recommend 12' for each hanging strap; 15' is even better....Ed
        Anyone know if Quest Outfitting's #2023 1" web is in the 600# or
        greater strength area recommended by Ed Speer for supports?

        Rick
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2003
          Message
          Ed: Please reserve four 15-foot lengths for me. Can you contact me offlist to arrange payment etc.? My email is dchinellATmsn.com. You have to replace the AT with the @ sign to use it.

          Thanks

          Bear

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2003
            Message

            Me too!!!  4 of ‘em at 15 inches is enough for one hammock??  (I haven’t gotten that far into my hammock yet LOL)

            Thanks!  You can contact me offlist also at dojers@... (I don’t mind using the @ as I have anti-spam software 8-)

            Jodi

            Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2003
              Message

              Ed, have you considered selling parts kits and the pieces to your hammocks at your site?

              Ernest Engman

              AKA SGT Rock

              sgtrock@...

              http://hikinghq.net

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2003
                Ed,

                Thanks for the kind offer to sell the web, essentially at your cost.
                Being impulsive and impatient, I will need to get some for the Next
                hammock. (You can't make just one.)

                I stopped at the fabric store and bought 10 feet of 1.9 ripstop. My
                choice was black or white... I chose black. Also 10 yards of poly
                pro of unknown strength, 4.5 yards of velcro. Total cost $45.

                Using your directions, it too all of an hour to sear the ends, hem
                the edges, sew the velcro, tie the knots and sew the ends of the
                straps.

                I REALLY like your method of attaching the hammock with your wrapping
                instead of knots! I put the Jardine tarp over it, and Diane is
                outside taking her Sunday afternoon snooze in it.. (With quilt and
                Target 27"wide pad.) It's 27 degrees outside.

                First time she has ever been in a hammock. I suggested she get out
                and let my 14 year old try it. (She had been in it for about a half
                hour.) I quote: "Tell him to come out in an hour or so to try it.
                (Sleepy) Goodbye..."

                I am going to try it at mid 20s tonight without an insulator and with
                only the one pad - at least for a while. We are scheduled to
                get 1-2 inches of snow with a little wind. I wish I had the bug net
                done to keep the flakes out. Somewhere in the house I have 4 yards
                of noseeum... Oh well...

                Oh, and by the way, the web seems strong enough... but if I break my
                shoulder I will get some of your polyester... The polypro cost me
                more than your good stuff!