Insulation value of sleep pads

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
      Message
      Marge asked about the insulation value of sleep pads. I don't think comparable figures are available. But it would be useful if they were.  One industry standard of representating insulating vaule is the R-Value.  R-Value stands for Thermal Resistance and is some sort of direct measurement of how much heat does not flow thru a membrane--used extensively in house construction.  The higher the R-Value, the better the insulation. Does anyone know of actual R-Values for the various sleep pads?

      The only one I know is the Reflectix pads I sell.  Since they are cut from wall-insulation material, I found an R-Value of 4 for use like a sleep pad (in direct contact w/ heat source).  My Reflectix (similar or the same as most car windshield sunscreens) is 5/16" thick, bubble wrap sandwiched between layers of aluminum foil.  It also keeps 97% of your body's radient heat from escaping (according to the ads), so it serves a double purpose. All pads block some radient heat, but probably not as much as the reflective pad (note you can use a 2 oz Mylar survivial blanket for the same purpose).

      Can we put together a list of insulation R-values?  Do any of the commerical sleep pads list the R-Value?

      Here's my start (based on some ad info):

      Reflectix, 5/16" thick, bubble wrap w/ Al foil, 3.75 oz/yd2                            R-Value 4
      Thinsulate Lite Loft, synthetic insulation, THL2, 0.8" thick, 2.8 oz/yd2          R-Value 2.2
      Thinsulate Lite Loft, synthetic insulation, THL4, 1.1" thick, 5.9 oz/yd2          R-Value 3.5
      Primaloft, synthetic insulation, Type 3 oz, 0.8" thick, 3 oz/yd2                    R-Value 2.15
      Primaloft, synthetic insulation, Type 6 oz, 1.6" thick, 6 oz/yd2                    R-Value 3.43

      In synthetic insulation R-Values, Primaloft and Lite Loft are apparently the winners, with Polarguard 3D a colse second.  Other considerations, such as water absorption, wet performance, compressability, durability, etc vary greatly among the various synthetic insulators.

      Does anyone have any figures for down insulation?

      I assume most closed-cell foam pads will have R-Values similar to the Reflectix--however, the thicker the pad, the higher it's R-Value should be.

      The clo is another industry measurement of garmet warmth and is probably a better reference than R-Value. However, no one uses this number yet (it's extremely hard to calculate or measure).

      It will be very interesting if we can compare R-Values for closed-cell foam pads and inflatables!

      Ed

    • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
        Ed

        The Thermarest site gives the R-value of its pads. For instance the
        camp rest = 7.3 (but over 4 lbs.)
        z-rest = 2.2
        ridge rest = 2.6 &3.1 (different thickness pads)

        Here is the link. You will have to navigat to each pad.

        http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest/

        Coy Boy

      • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
          Thanks Coy Boy
          I'll check it out and add to my list
          Ed

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
          <starnescr@y...> wrote:
          > Ed
          >
          > The Thermarest site gives the R-value of its pads. For instance
          the
          > camp rest = 7.3 (but over 4 lbs.)
          > z-rest = 2.2
          > ridge rest = 2.6 &3.1 (different thickness pads)
          >
          > Here is the link. You will have to navigat to each pad.
          >
          > http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest/
          >
          > Coy Boy

        • rhmitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
            Ed and Coy Boy

            Exped gives the R-value of its pads at its site -- exped.com. Their
            3.5" x 70" x 20.5" down-filled air mattress, which weighs 32 oz. is
            rated R 9.1.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer <info@s...>"

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
              Message
              Thanks, obviously thick pads offer much more warmth than thin ones...Ed