Re: [Hammock Camping] Warm Hammock

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
      Quoting Dave Womble <dpwomble@...>:

      > Rick,
      >
      > I tip my hat to you for your Warm Hammock, the insulation you get
      > by 'hanging' the PG2 from the bottom of the hammock is impressive.
      >
      > Youngblood

      Thanks Dave. Yeah, the hard part was figuring out how to make it so the hammock
      did not squish it. I need to do the same now with down. Lighter, warmer

      Rick
    • John Kennedy
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
        Rick, I have the materials to do my own warmhammock and wanted ask you, did you sew the baffles perpendicular to or parallel to the length of the hammock?  From the picture, it looks like they are parallel to the hammock.  Just wanted to be sure.

        Thanks,
        John

      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
          Quoting John Kennedy <mrprez@...>:

          > Rick, I have the materials to do my own warmhammock and wanted ask you, did
          > you sew the baffles perpendicular to or parallel to the length of the
          > hammock? From the picture, it looks like they are parallel to the hammock.
          > Just wanted to be sure.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > John
          John,

          Thanks for your interest.

          The successful design I have completed is to quilt Polarguard II between an
          outer layer and the hammock itself. The quilting is done with quilting ties
          about every 6 inches. To read something about this method, see:

          http://www.litebackpacker.com/make-quilt/index.html

          The important thing is to make sure the outer layer is a pouch, not a flat piece
          of material. I describe on the page how to do that.

          I have built a down warm hammock as well. It was my first version. I did not
          "pouch" the padding and it just draws up tight against the hammock. I now
          realize I can build a successful down insulated hammock with baffles, but I have
          not done so yet.

          The version I did make has baffles parallel to the long edges of the hammock.

          I hope that is possible to understand?

          Have fun!

          risk