Re: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Shane- the MacCat-Catenary Cut?

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
      Todd-

      Use caution if you plan to alter the hammock.  The mosquito netting seems to me to take some of the user's weight in a Hennessy Hammock.  If you do anything to it, you will likely void the warranty.

      Take care,

      Rosaleen

      Subject: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Shane- the MacCat-Catenary Cut?

      Rosaleen,

      Nice to hear from you again. I didn't know about Tom's suggestion of weighted
      bags to maintain tension, so that's a good pointer. I'll consider it.

      But, I'm somewhat mesmerized by the idea of an inherently more wind resistant
      HH rain fly, which seems to be the catenary cut, based on others comments.

      I'd love to have a zipper in my HH mosquito net at the head end so I can open
      it up and see the stars directly. Then, I'd be able to reach the upper
      ridgeline, which I continue to think is the best current answer. I'd be able to pull
      the (Cat cut?) rain fly out of a stow bag threaded near the foot end of the
      upper ridgeline and hook it onto the head end if needed, without getting out of
      the hammock. (Hey, I'm not hiking in rainforest! Mostly Sierra, no clouds,
      much less rain, most trips.)

      Then, my sandals, gear and clothes bags could be hung on the upper line so
      they don't become massive, dangling pendulums like they are when hung on the
      internal hammock ridgeline under the mosquito net. Real annoying.

      Someone suggested tying the upper ridgeline to the tree hugger straps of the
      hammock. Worth considering. I like this idea. But if hanging stuff starts
      swinging with every movement in the hammock, it's not for me. I'll just use hugger
      straps on the upper ridge line to protect the trees. (And I bought a long
      strip of zipper to put into my HH mosquito net. Very expensive stuff.)

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.