Re: Tensioning

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
      Bear-

      Ed's campouts for hammockers seem like a wonderful place for hammock fans to put faces with names while seeing each other's ideas up close.  Short of being able to actually get to those outings physically, it sure is great to "hang out" here and swap ideas.  (Thanks, Ed!)

      For your permanent loop in the side tie out alternative, I wonder if a "bowline" would do the trick?  How about another hair elastic tied on with a "lark's head?"

      For people who don't have a knot tying reference handy, here is a link to a decent one.  <http://www.realknots.com/index.htm>  It came up on a search for "knot tying."  There may be site with a video clip, as well.

      Thanks for sharing you methods.  I hope one day I can see them in person.

      Rosaleen

      Subject: Tensioning

      R:

      I never pull the elastic cords very tight. It's mostly to take a little
      slack out of the body side flap thingies. So I don't think it actually
      changes the ventilation dynamics of the setup much. It certainly wouldn't
      prevent you from using poles to raise the tarp.

      Alternately, you could tie a trucker's hitch or even a permanent loop into
      your tarp line and clip the elastic cords to that. I just wanted a way to
      "handle" the cords without having to put in another set of pegs. Oh, and it
      makes it easier to clip the hammock body over to one side of the tarp when
      you're cooking under the tarp.

      In fair weather I like to pull the tarp halfway back and watch the clouds
      and stars. I know someone posted a method of pulling the tarp back into
      position without having to get out of the hammock. Probably tie a line to
      the foot corner, loop it through the tree hugger, and lead it into the
      hammock. Then you'd just pull in on that line and secure it to the
      ridgeline.

      And when I have extra time and space, I take a bigger, substitute tarp, and
      pitch it on a separate, much higher, external ridge line. But the elastic
      cords still go to the tarp tie-outs or to the tarp lines.

      Bear

    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
        Rosaleen:

        Yes, I'd like to make one of the campouts some day. Alas, this year my Rita had a little medical crisis. We're all okay now, but it kind of drained the holiday days and funds at my disposal. Sigh. But weren't you in Sarasota recently? Let me know next time you're here, and we'll try to arrange an overnight if you like.

        As to the knot, I'm guessing a bowline might work, but would be a little too permanent -- that is it wouldn't allow fine-tuning the tension because it would be fixed in one spot along the tarp line. I'd go with the hair-elastic lark's head or prussic. Or even tie the body line onto the tarp line with a tautline hitch.

        The tautline is my all-time favorite hammocking knot.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
          Dave- I actually spent about 8 weeks total in Sarasota last year. My parents have been living there. Mom had cancer surgery last summer, so I stayed about 6 weeks and one of my sisers took over as I left. (It was really convenient that we both work in schools and this came up in the summer.) I spent the holiday break there, as well, helping get set up to move. If I get back before they leave the area, I'll give you a shout. Thanks.

          (BTW, they are on a waiting list for a retirement community nearly in Risk's back yard.)

          Cheers!

          Rosaleen

          > From: "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
          > Subject: RE: Re: Tensioning
          >
          > Rosaleen:
          >
          > Yes, I'd like to make one of the campouts some day. Alas, this year my Rita
          > had a little medical crisis. We're all okay now, but it kind of drained the
          > holiday days and funds at my disposal. Sigh. But weren't you in Sarasota
          > recently? Let me know next time you're here, and we'll try to arrange an
          > overnight if you like.
          >
          > As to the knot, I'm guessing a bowline might work, but would be a little too
          > permanent -- that is it wouldn't allow fine-tuning the tension because it
          > would be fixed in one spot along the tarp line. I'd go with the hair-elastic
          > lark's head or prussic. Or even tie the body line onto the
          > tarp line with a
          > tautline hitch.
          >
          > The tautline is my all-time favorite hammocking knot.
          >
          > Bear
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
            Great! Hope we can make it happen. Where's Risk's back yard,
            by the way? He's not in Florida, is he?

            Bear

            Dave- I actually spent about 8 weeks total in Sarasota last
            year. My parents have been living there. Mom had cancer
            surgery last summer, so I stayed about 6 weeks and one of my
            sisers took over as I left. (It was really convenient that
            we both work in schools and this came up in the summer.) I
            spent the holiday break there, as well, helping get set up
            to move. If I get back before they leave the area, I'll
            give you a shout. Thanks.

            (BTW, they are on a waiting list for a retirement community
            nearly in Risk's back yard.)

            Cheers!

            Rosaleen

            > From: "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
            > Subject: RE: Re: Tensioning
            >
            > Rosaleen:
            >
            > Yes, I'd like to make one of the campouts some day. Alas,
            this year my Rita
            > had a little medical crisis. We're all okay now, but it
            kind of drained the
            > holiday days and funds at my disposal. Sigh. But weren't
            you in Sarasota
            > recently? Let me know next time you're here, and we'll try
            to arrange an
            > overnight if you like.
            >
            > As to the knot, I'm guessing a bowline might work, but
            would be a little too
            > permanent -- that is it wouldn't allow fine-tuning the
            tension because it
            > would be fixed in one spot along the tarp line. I'd go
            with the hair-elastic
            > lark's head or prussic. Or even tie the body line onto the
            > tarp line with a
            > tautline hitch.
            >
            > The tautline is my all-time favorite hammocking knot.
            >
            > Bear

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon
            or Lexmark
            Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
            US & Canada.
            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/z1TolB/TM
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
              David Chinell wrote:

              >Great! Hope we can make it happen. Where's Risk's back yard,
              >by the way? He's not in Florida, is he?
              >
              >Bear

              Risk's back yard is in Dayton, OH.