Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Shane- the MacCat-Catenary Cut?

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2004
      Rosaleen,

      Nice to hear from you again. I didn't know about Tom's suggestion of weighted bags to maintain tension, so that's a good pointer. I'll consider it.

      But, I'm somewhat mesmerized by the idea of an inherently more wind resistant HH rain fly, which seems to be the catenary cut, based on others comments.

      I'd love to have a zipper in my HH mosquito net at the head end so I can open it up and see the stars directly. Then, I'd be able to reach the upper ridgeline, which I continue to think is the best current answer. I'd be able to pull the (Cat cut?) rain fly out of a stow bag threaded near the foot end of the upper ridgeline and hook it onto the head end if needed, without getting out of the hammock. (Hey, I'm not hiking in rainforest! Mostly Sierra, no clouds, much less rain, most trips.)

      Then, my sandals, gear and clothes bags could be hung on the upper line so they don't become massive, dangling pendulums like they are when hung on the internal hammock ridgeline under the mosquito net. Real annoying.

      Someone suggested tying the upper ridgeline to the tree hugger straps of the hammock. Worth considering. I like this idea. But if hanging stuff starts swinging with every movement in the hammock, it's not for me. I'll just use hugger straps on the upper ridge line to protect the trees. (And I bought a long strip of zipper to put into my HH mosquito net. Very expensive stuff.)

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.
    • rosaleen43@aol.com